Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swearing

Swearing

When I found this forum, I was happy. "Finally!" I thought, "A place on the Internet where intelligent people gather to discuss literature!" And then I see a "NO SWEARING" rule. Censorship on a literature site is kind of counter-productive. Plus, so many of my favorite stories contain swear words, most notably the works of the supremely eloquent David Foster Wallace. I had hoped to find someone to discuss such said works with on this site, but I guess that's not going to happen. I am a sad Anon.

Um, BYE.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Oh, dear. So brief a stay - we can never know what sparkling gems of wit and insight we might have been party to. It's a tragically lost opportunity for all LitNetters.

...then again - f*** him.

Blog Entries
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The swearing rule is so this forum can be accessible to all ages. The forum owners don't want kids to be shut out, especially at schools.

That being said, you can swear here. It's just censored. And if you're too ****ing dense to figure out what swear word is being used in place of the asterisks, your **** out of luck, as your dumbass probably shouldn't be here anyways.

Blog Entries
    There should be a minimum number of posts required to start threads.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So should we all discuss literature like: "Dante's **** is ****ed up! There's like guys with backwards heads rolling around in ****!"

or

"Wtf is up with Hedda Gabler? That's one crazy-*** *****!"

Last edited by DanielBenoit; 01-15-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Blog Entries
    oh poo!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    So should we all discuss literature like: "Dante's **** is ****ed up! There's like guys with backwards heads rolling around in ****!"

or

"Wtf is up with Hedda Gabler? That's one crazy-*** *****!"

Ha
    ha! very funny!
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Blog Entries
    Hedda Gabler is one crazy *** *****.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous C View Post
    I am a sad Anon.
    Indeed you are.
    'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.' - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    You mean you're leaving just because you are not allowed to swear? Come on, if you're leaving, make it a big deal. Something like swearing against one of us, then we report you to the mods and THAT would be a memorable departure You are leaving without glory. That's WHY YOU'RE SAD

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "A place on the internet where intelligent people gather to discuss literature!"

Had Anonymous C thought about his statment he would understand that the Intelligence he speaks of makes this forum special in the fact that there is not a need to swear. we use our INTELLIGENCE to fill in the blank. Take Mutatis for example, I know exactly what words he implied. It is the ability to use context clues, and implied meaning two skills that are taught in 5th grade literature. Anyone can say something blatently, but it takes true intellect to be able to phrase something so that the appropriate audience understands but the youth audiance retains access to our beloved sight.

So if you are such an ignorant fool that you can not comprehend this simple curtousy than you do NOT deserve to be a part of our community. This community of INTELLIGENT and diverse people, is based on a mutural respect and common courtesy to all ages, which is what this site was based on, and that our community is better off without the likes of such a person. So I leave this poster with the reply of good riddance!

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ****in' A, Steph.

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    ****in' A, Steph.
    lol yes?

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's also the rather odd paradox of making a post stating that you won't be making any posts..?

Ah well, dang it all to heck!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast