Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Feel Stupid

Banned
    Blog Entries

I Feel Stupid

While I must say I love these forums, I gotta say I often feel completely ignorant when here, and I feel I'm a fairly well-read individual. Other than when I'm here, of course. Often I haven't read numerous works or authors being discussed, and it seems when I make posts, they often go disregarded. I don't know, maybe I never write anything interesting.

Oh well.

sympathy post from the doc...

just remember though that back in luckenbach texas there aint nobody feelin' no pain...even the doc...

btw, buckle up...the best is yet to come in 2011 in the country doctor country thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    While I must say I love these forums, I gotta say I often feel completely ignorant when here, and I feel I'm a fairly well-read individual. Other than when I'm here, of course. Often I haven't read numerous works or authors being discussed, and it seems when I make posts, they often go disregarded. I don't know, maybe I never write anything interesting.

Oh well.

bah! That happens to all of us (or just us two now you have me worried).
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by country doctor View Post
    sympathy post from the doc...

just remember though that back in luckenbach texas there aint nobody feelin' no pain...even the doc...

btw, buckle up...the best is yet to come in 2011 in the country doctor country thread...
    For some indiscernible reason, doc, your posts make me chuckle, which is especially odd since I usually hate when people refer to themselves in the third person. Must be that country charm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    bah! That happens to all of us (or just us two now you have me worried).
    I'll second that. Or am I thirding it? See- lots of reasons for me to feel stupid around here

Blog Entries
    Whenever someone demonstrates that they're better read than you, just think to yourself that they have a much less fulfilling personal life because they spend all their time reading. It's probably not true, but it might make you feel better.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    I feel equally stupid when I'm the best read person in the room or if I make a refference and everyone just looks at me like I'm nuts.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Oh please... Everyone knows that I am the Queen of all stupids here... Hahaha

I always feel stupid.
    Bist du beschränkt, daß neues Wort dich stört?
    Willst du nur hören, was du schon gehört?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post

Oh well.
    Just remember that we've all been there, in fact some like it so much they stay there.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    Just remember that we've all been there, in fact some like it so much they stay there.
    Talking about anyone in particular there, Mr Bean?

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Firstly, no-one is actually genuinely stupid - that's the stuff of sitcoms. But having stated thuswise I see quite a few people bothering to submit advice and support to the numbskull who began this thread. This causes me to wonder, why would someone put up a post declaring that they think they're stupid when there are so many threads and links to peruse in order to gain lnowledge and become 'smarter'?

It's surely a ploy of the worst type - the type which has at its heart an attention seeking odour...

The OP clearly states people seem to be ignoring him because he has nothing interesting to say, yet begins a thread and posts a post on the subject as if it were in and of itself in some way interesting

I for one am saddend and dismayed at the number of self-pitying people on litnet who want everyone on litnet to stop what they are doing and drop by to a thread just to increase visitor and response rate. It's not fair on the rest of us who genuinely have something to say on important issues, want to share our knowledge so that others may learn and benefit from it, and are actually interested in interesting things and want everyone to know about it

You really want people to listen to you? [Warning! MystyrMystyry Advice Alert!] Read something interesting, make a conscious effort to remember the interesting details and drop them into the conversation as a contribution to the discussion, and do it often; the more you do it the more people will remember you, the more friends you will make, and the more parties you shall be invited to. Make sense?

And the more information you contain, the wiser you become, and the more people will come to you for your advice, and the more your reputation will grow to the point that one day you neen't bother going to parties because the parties will come to you.

[MystyrMystyry Advice Alert Over]

And how do I know al this? Because that's where I hope to be someday

So stop pretending to be stupid, and instead ask relevant questions about something outside of yourself, and don't forget, no-one knows everything, has read everthing, has seen, done, been, everything

Your knowledge may be just the knowledge that someone else is seeking. You may think 'I know why the sky is blue, but if I know, then probably so must everyone else know, so why ever mention it at all?'

Because not everyone knows why it is blue. Most merely know that it is blue. Your knowledge will open the minds of all those whose minds have been closed to the question. And then there shall be other questions like 'Why is the ocean also blue, yet a different shade of blue, oh Wise One?' and you will be able to tell them, because you'll be the smartypants of the world

Want to know more? You may purchase my free e-book

from here

or if that link doesn't work

from here

And good luck with your intellectual pursuits, oh Wise One!
    Last edited by MystyrMystyry; 01-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryd. View Post
    Talking about anyone in particular there, Mr Bean?
    A wise man keeps his own counsel.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ouch, MystyrMystyry, I think I'll go cry in a corner now.

Quote Originally Posted by MystyrMystyry View Post
    Firstly, no-one is actually genuinely stupid - that's the stuff of sitcoms. But having stated thuswise I see quite a few people bothering to submit advice and support to the numbskull who began this thread. This causes me to wonder, why would someone put up a post declaring that they think they're stupid when there are so many threads and links to peruse in order to gain lnowledge and become 'smarter'?
    I actually do that. Quite a bit. This thread took all of two minutes to write. If you notice, I'm always asking advice on what to read, what authors to explore, and how to interpret and better understand literature.

It's surely a ploy of the worst type - the type which has at its heart an attention seeking odour...
    This was not posted as purely a "attention seeking" thread, but, I'll admit it: I was looking for a little encouragement. I do often times feel completely ignorant on here, and it is often disheartening when I try and put some thought into something and it goes, seemingly, completely ignored and disregarded. I'm sorry, but it doesn't feel good.

The OP clearly states people seem to be ignoring him because he has nothing interesting to say, yet begins a thread and posts a post on the subject as if it were in and of itself in some way interesting
    This is just general chat, you know. With such subjects as "Hey," "Question about colds," and "What are you eating/drinking right now," the banality of this thread wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the advise, though.

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean by 'A Few Questions about Colds' and 'What are you eating/drinking right now?' and using 'banality' in the same sentence?
    Are you implying that these threads are in some manner 'uninteresting'?
    I'll have you know that 'Colds' is one of the funniest threads going in any forum anywhere. And 'Eating /Drinking is certainly up there wih some of the most profound recipe/wine appreciation forums the Internet has ever had to offer

Excuse me if I've walked into a loaded comment, but unless I miss my guess I do believe you have just become official own hole digger of the week, far outstripping my own earlier achievement (something of which I was not poud of and in fact quite ashamed of myself for committing by the simple act of permitting my mouth open on occasion when it should have remained tightly closed)

Furthermore the notion that my earlier posting was intended to be taken in any way other than a sense of fun and with a grain of salt I strongly resent and actually find quite laughable. Should I infer that you believe I have with systematic methodology lost my 'sense of humour' merely because certain individuals choose to consider my words with gravestone seriosity?

It is no concern of mine if others have chosen to not see the lighter side of Litnet. A spat here, a spar there - it's all in the good natured spirit of spur of the moment slanging off. I should like to think that we 'intellectuals' as you outrageously refer to us (why not use the more colourful traditional expressions: eggheads, foureyes, and dare I remind you of 'brainiacs'?) [where was I? ah yes] are a fairly resilient bunch of Champions for Lost Causes, and we have been their Patron Saints since long before recent newcomers have taken the paper crown as their own.
    The next time I hear of anyone 'losing their cool' over a silly remark I - and I wold trust of my fellows of the sacred sash of balmy literati - report them pronto and with gusto

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast