Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dickens - Where to Begin?

Hard Times. This was my first Dickens novel, assigned in a class to illuminate a discussion on Marxism. Great novel. A Tale of Two Cities and Bleak House were to follow (outside of the classroom) and both were, in my opinion, superb literary treats!
    J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage.
    - Rimbaud

Quote Originally Posted by laymonite View Post
    Hard Times. This was my first Dickens novel, assigned in a class to illuminate a discussion on Marxism. Great novel. A Tale of Two Cities and Bleak House were to follow (outside of the classroom) and both were, in my opinion, superb literary treats!
    I had a bad experience when I read the supremely awful Great Expectations

But two copies of Hard Times are always lying around in a room a study in and because it's relatively short I am tempted to give Dickens another go.
    I believe I shall now.
    Latest Blog: An Impassioned and Immediate Response to Dan Hodges, Political Writer, Daily Telegraph.
    http://britishpharaoh.wordpress.com/

I started off with Oliver Twist. I got it free as an award for reading so much in Middle School. It was the first Classical literature I ever read of my own volition. Then I got hooked on Dickens and that was the end of that.

Blog Entries
    I started a Dickens reading project about five years ago. The goal was to read every Dickens novel. I completed the project a few months ago. Now I'm going to begin another project wherein I go back and reread all his novels. It's well worth it.
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

I consider Hard Times one of my favorite novels. It's quite biting and sarcastic in a political sense but also features great characters which is what he's mostly known for. I loved Great Expectations as well although it's some what lengthy it's quite an easy and quick read. I've also read A Tale Of Two Cities and David Copperfield but that was many years ago so I have little memory of them. I recall enjoying them a great deal at the time. I recently purchased the Complete Dickens for my Kindle which chronicles all of his novels.

I've read most of Dickens and a Tale of Two cities was one of my least favourite of his novels. Ok it's set in the most colourful period in history, has Byronic hero, and well-paced action, and it's written by Dickens So it isn't a bad experience. BUT it lacks all that Dickens does best - no cozy Englishness, no quirky characters, little comedy.

The populous landscape is absent, you only get the rather "straight" main characters and "the mob". Ok the characters are as good as, say, those in Trollope, but Dickens is usually better than Trollope! Also the actual landscape is flat - no unforgettable sketches of London here... or even of Paris. So read it certainly, but if you are disappointed by the lack of the particular "Dickensian magic", then don't worry - there's more of that in whatever other novel of his you might read!

Well, I might like A Tale of Two Cities then. I'll give it a go.

Hope I will not get exasperated by his 'Paris', like I did with his 'Venice' in Little Dorrit, which I abandoned shortly after that... :yuk:

Thanks for the hint on Trollope, may add him to my list.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As an update, I just finished A Tale of Two Cities and really enjoyed it.

To be, or not to be. misterreplicant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I once starred in an Oliver Twist play..
    Try reading Oliver Twist, if you are up for a FUN story!
    Books completed in 2011:
    • Shadow of the Hegemon - Orson Scott Card
    • The Inferno - Dante Alighieri
    • The Iliad - Homer

"Homer was on the rowing team at his high school." ~My grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Well, I might like A Tale of Two Cities then. I'll give it a go.

Hope I will not get exasperated by his 'Paris', like I did with his 'Venice' in Little Dorrit, which I abandoned shortly after that... :yuk:

Thanks for the hint on Trollope, may add him to my list.
    Trollope is wonderful. I am reading The Way We Live Now, and watching The Barchester Chronicles again, after just having watched TWWLN again. He's very good on the establishment of the day, the Church and Parliament, with a lovely satirical bent. I love him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12