Thread: Julia

Julia

Julia is watching snow fall; it's an ocean. The field across the street has become impossibly distant. Emerald trees cluster there. A single pine stands apart, nearly blotted out by the storm.

Last night she lay awake. The light was off. She shivered under the covers and stared through the old break in the window. She had tried to cover the hole with anything she could find but the wind had knocked down pinned-up comforters one sagging inch at a time. They better served her atop her body, so underneath a small mountain of blankets, unable to get warm, she whispered her name 'Julia.' Her insides were chilled. The dingy lamp flicked on and spilled anemic light across the edge of her mattress. She rolled toward that edge and reached for her journal and a half-broken pencil. On the last blank page she wrote 'Julia.'

Letters drifting in a sea of white.

Her hand has been resting on the handle. As she is turning to go inside the image of the field is sticking to her eyelids. Julia had seen children playing there a season ago. They ran about streaking autumn behind them, twilit earth tones and hidden purples. That memory hurts her in the stomach, then in the chest.

The apartment is an icy tomb. Winter paints the everywhere deep blue and it feels colder than being outside. She hesistates to shut the door behind her. She shuts it and the darkness comes as soft as snowfall. Julia sets her bag down on the kitchen counter and takes off her name tag.

In the bathroom, the shower and the lights turn on. In the brightness she is pulling her shirt over her head and off of her arms. She takes off her shoes, her socks, her jeans. She is sliding her panties down her legs and past delicate ankles; she is trying to take her bra off but her fingers are still cold and clumsy.

Nude in the bathroom mirror, Julia doesn't look at her body. The mole on her left breast is still there, a cinnamon speck on her warm skin tone. The men that had seen it, all but one had kissed it, sought it out as though it were nourishment. Their kisses had been consumptive; sweet cinnamon. But she doesn't look. Julia shuts her eyes and shivers. She is waiting for the shower to warm up.

He had caressed the moist washcloth against her body. Its touch was grainy and warm; it smelled of floral soap. It pressed against her neck and smoothly stroked upward into her jaw line; it swept the curvature of her hips and left a trail of dull tickles. His fingers pressed, her flesh indented, he worked soft circles as though polishing a jewel. When he sat the washcloth on the side of the bathtub and began to suckle her shoulders she cast her eyes sideways. Julia stared at the washcloth longingly.

Sometime after, when autumn had tapped the windows, she reached out of the shower and dried herself in a soft, white towel. In front of the bathroom mirror her feet stuttered to an improvised halt. Julia turned to face it; she pulled the edges of the towel away as though they were newspaper wrapping fine china. After a moment one edge fell away completely. Her hand had let go. She was smiling, she was gently rubbing her palm over the faint bulge in her abdomen and letting her fingers linger like leaves in a slow breeze.

Julia is naked and wet when she comes out of the bathroom. Winter's cold is tolling her body and freezing her hair. The break in the bedroom window is letting the storm in. She goes to it and remembers the end of Fall. She remembers the first time she felt alone, the first time she crossed through the hallway threshold without the bulge and yet another door had closed. It had been a manoevre to evade loneliness. She had watched the children playing in the field across the way; she had struck the window and hysterically sunk to her knees. Now she is standing. Now she is turning away and lying down upon her mattress. Now she is letting the frost seal her eyelids shut.
    Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 12-29-2010 at 02:11 AM.

A finely crafted piece of writing.

I like the way you employ the image of the window as Julia's means of contact with the outside world - and your descriptions of the seasonal changes outside her apartment are a vivid counterpoint to the bleak austerity of her situation.

You employ the image of snowfall and the harsh beauty of winter as an additional tag so the reader links these directly to Julia when imagining her.
    Having said that, perhaps the 'darkness coming as soft snowfall' was pushing the metaphor one step too far. It jars slightly as one struggles to equate the light-reflecting properties of snowfall with darkness - but that's my opinion, and I'm being picky today.

But it's still a stand-out piece of writing, powerful and memorable.

H

There was a time before the dinosaurs, a time before earth, a time before the universe. A time were only the creator himself existed.
    He found this to be boring and wanted to create life. So he created two very special angels that would help him created the universe and the heavens. These two were named Michael and Gabriel.

Michael had tremendous love and passion which inspired the creator to create. Gabriel had power. Together they created the heavens and earth. The creator loved what they had done, so they decided to create more. In the heavens they decided to create the sprits. The spirts populate the heavens and the planets.This made Gabriel,and Michael and the Creator very happy and they were pleased. After all this was done they took a break and decided to rest in heaven with the spirts.

In Heaven Michael and Gabriel were viewed as fathers, beside the Creator himself. In heaven Michael ruled with love and passion, while Gabriel ruled with power. While Michael was ruling the heavens with the creator, Gabriel found himself asking questions and admiring the strength and might of his power and what they have done. These feelings started to grow and Gabriel found himself starting to feel hate for Michael and the Creator. He knew that his power alone could rule the heavens and the universe and everything that was in it. This was the first time that Gabriel felt this way towards his brother Michael and the Creator. His feelings of greed and deception started to boil and consume him. He began to plan his devious plan to betray Michael and the Creator.

He began to influence the minds of the spirts of heaven, persuading them. Turning them against Michael and the Creator.There were many that did, but many stayed loyal to Michael and the Creator. With Gabriel spreading corruption within the heavens, the spirts started to feel anger, jealousy and hate for Michael and the Creator. Gabriel started to gather the sprits that believed in him and started a war within the heavens agiants the ones that remained loyal to Michael and the Creator. This was beginning of the first war ever to be fought. Gabriel forces were powerfull,fierce and merciless. They fought with anger, fear and hate. Michael forces fought with love,compassion and righteousness. The Create saw this happening and made him very sad to see that his creations were fighting and killing each other, he also saw how power,greed and jealousy plagued his mind. This also made Michael feel pitty and remorse for his brother Gabriel.

Finally the time came for the final confrontation, the final battle. Gabriel knew that this was his chance to destroy the Creators kingdom and create his own in its place. To become the almighty ruler, to be the sole ruler of everything.

In this battle many spirts fought hard and long, many had lost there lives to defend the Creators cause. Gaberials forces fought with all there might and all of there power.It seemed that Gaberials force were on the verge of victory and accomplishing their goal that they set for, but the only thing that was stopping them was Michael himself. Filled with love and compassion for his brother, Michael fought with all his heart and all his might to overcome the darkness that his brother Gabriel had fallen into, but it was too late and too much. Greed and power and consumed his entire mind and heart.
    It seemed that all hope was lost until the Creator himself appeared before them both. Gaberial knew that this was his moment to kill both of them, but the Creator knew a way of stopping him. With the power of his words, the Creator sent Gaberial ans all of his followers to the unkowen, a place that did not exist. In this place Gaberial and his follower would spend an eternity. This was the last time that The Creator, Michael and there rest of the spirts heard of Gaberial. Or so they believe!!!!

This is my first post in this site I hope that you enjoy this short .
    feel free to leave a comment friends.

A good thing about your story: it was very clear and easy to understand. The writing did not get in the way of comprehension and many times that's half the battle. However, it needs more editing. There are many little errors that could be fixed if you took the time (for instance, you switch between spelling "Gabriel" and "Gaberial"). The best thing to do is read a lot and keep practicing.

J

Benjamin -

welcome my friend.

I do wonder why you posted your own piece in the middle of someone else's thread.

I suggest you revisit your posting and press EDIT - type in 'removed' then press SAVE - then go back to the Short Story Sharing forum, press NEW THREAD and post your own work as a new entry. That way people will realise you have actually written something rather than responded to Jack's story.

As for the story itself - I'm the wrong person to comment on anything remotely Biblical or with a religious theme. I'm allergic to both.

H

yeah sorry for posting this on someone elses thread i did not know.
    I will know next time thanks friend.

It was a story that i developed when i was trying to write a story for and idea that i had for an adventure. As time grew, I found myself thinking about angels and demons, Then i had a thought to write a short story on how it all started, and there you go. I hopr you enjoy. I did.

Personaly I dont beileve in a specific religion but I do believe in a high power

In hindsight, Benjamin188: the author of the original doesn't feel that yours makes for a very good sequel.

J

I think the words do a good job depicting how delicate our protaganist is. The imagery linking her to china and fine jewelery do well to illustrate the beauty of her uncelebrated life. You can't help but feel sorry for this seemingly unappreciated girl. I get the feeling that she has had temporary periods of company in her life that were only the result of some one physically involved and not emotionally. This makes me wonder if her pregnancy was a strike back at the world, or her former lovers. In the final moments of her life it is bittersweet because Julia doesn't have to die alone. However, there is a darkness associated with it, being that the price for company is another beings life. To me this piece feels of "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles.

Thanks again, bortleman. The author invested a lot of himself into this piece and genuinely appreciates your feedback and your understanding.

Benjamin188, thanks again for proposing a sequel.

J

Jack, that is a fine piece of writing. I enjoy your writing anyway so perhaps I am biased, but the opening lines are really good. I would like to write such things myself but do not imagine myself able. I'll just stick to the odd lousy poem now and then.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Nice one Jack. I've always believed that the strength of a woman lies in her vulnerability. Whether meaning to or not, you captured both attributes with the lightest of touches. Bravo.
    Regards
    M.

jajdude- thank you very much for your dedicated readership and support. Perhaps you're selling yourself short; perhaps you could realize your vision of beauty in prose if only you tried.

MANICHAEAN- thank you for the reading and the praise. Your serials are on this reader's radar and are at the top of his 'to-read' list as soon as things slow down a bit.

J

Blog Entries
    Hasn't she named the fetus Julia? If she is that connected to this unborn child by naming her, than the death seems all that more tragic. This is a well written piece.

an organized mess
    Some truly wonderful lines here: "They ran about streaking autumn behind them" was a favorite. Also this: "...a cinnamon speck on her warm skin tone. The men that had seen it, all but one had kissed it, sought it out as though it were nourishment." A detail that lends the piece beauty and credibility. You waste no time with drivel about hair or eye color, this cinnamon speck, these lovers, tell us all we need to know about this girl's youthful appeal. I can't help but wonder... is the "all but one" the father? A piece worth pondering, thanks for sharing.

Like here, for example.

J