Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for winding up your teenage children

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Isn't it awful? Its like an addiction. Once you've had that rush of teen disdain, you just can't stop.

I did read somewhere that it's in the teen/ parent charter that teens annoy parents and treat them as if they are stupid, and that parents act like they are. I think it might even be the law.
    Yes. When I was around sixteen my mom would wake me up earlier than I would have liked on weekends by pretending the dog was talking to me through my door, asking me to get up.

However, even now, she does dress her pugs in hula skirts and coconut bras for fun and claims they love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinthine View Post
    Yes. When I was around sixteen my mom would wake me up earlier than I would have liked on weekends by pretending the dog was talking to me through my door, asking me to get up.

However, even now, she does dress her pugs in hula skirts and coconut bras for fun and claims they love it.

That's the stuff. It sounds like the knd of thing my wife does.

In the past I have sung Roger Whittaker's Early Morning Singing Song to my daughter to encourage her to get up. I don't let my lack of singing ability or complete inexperience with the guitar - which I used to accompany me - stop me in such situations.

Blog Entries
    My teen wants to sleep until 9 am on Saturday. I smile as I wake her at 8:55. (Can you hear my evil laugh?)

Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
    My teen wants to sleep until 9 am on Saturday. I smile as I wake her at 8:55. (Can you hear my evil laugh?)
    9 am??? Does your teen like early mornings??? (It is good to wind up teens but stealing 5 minutes of sleep is surely taking it too far, as much as I generally dislike them.)

The Neely household has been getting up around 10.30am+.

My world of lazy comfort is soon to be wrecked however with the approach of oncoming evil (work).

Blog Entries
    Yes - this year I don't get any extra off. In fact I'm the first one in!! They'll all be sleeping when I begin to wend my weary way. Peraps I should reprise Roger Whittaker...

That's the stuff. It sounds like the knd of thing my wife does.

In the past I have sung Roger Whittaker's Early Morning Singing Song to my daughter to encourage her to get up. I don't let my lack of singing ability or complete inexperience with the guitar - which I used to accompany me - stop me in such situations.
    Let me be clear. I still resent her for it. lol

I hope, and it sounds like this is the case, that your daughter does as much as possible to annoy you back.
    Last edited by Hyacinthine; 01-02-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    When you see your teen hanging with their friends on your way home from shopping, raise a shoulder to your head, drag a foot behind you and limp up to the group and speak to your kid with some weird speech impediment and ask them to introduce you....
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    When your teen is with her friends look at her nose and then rub yours as if make sure you don't have anything hanging out.

My husband just wakes up singing. I find the older the kids get the less they like it. I also find that when the teen makes a show about how she doesn't like the singing the songs suddenly become about her.

Blog Entries
    Let me be clear. I still resent her for it. lol

I hope, and it sounds like this is the case, that your daughter does as much as possible to annoy you back.
    I think the natural run of things is for her to gather evidence as she goes along and use as a case for early installment into an old folks home. That's when we get out the blackmail photos we've taken over the years - the school photos, the old hairstyles, the cute fairy dresses etc etc. Of course there are also videos these days too. Thus an impasse is reached. It's like a natural law playing out.

I think the natural run of things is for her to gather evidence as she goes along and use as a case for early installment into an old folks home. That's when we get out the blackmail photos we've taken over the years - the school photos, the old hairstyles, the cute fairy dresses etc etc. Of course there are also videos these days too. Thus an impasse is reached. It's like a natural law playing out.
    A sound plan indeed.

I actually appreciate my mother much more now than I did as a teen (don't we all?) but part of that is the fact that we don't have to live together! Also, I love seeing how happy my daughter is when they spend time together. So, my resentment isn't exactly torturous. No early installment in at old folks home for my mom.

One of my mother's friends, and I'm not sure what the reason for this was, had occasion to pick up her sixteen-year-old son from school while wearing a chicken suit.

Blog Entries
    A sound plan indeed.

I actually appreciate my mother much more now than I did as a teen (don't we all?) but part of that is the fact that we don't have to live together! Also, I love seeing how happy my daughter is when they spend time together. So, my resentment isn't exactly torturous. No early installment in at old folks home for my mom.

One of my mother's friends, and I'm not sure what the reason for this was, had occasion to pick up her sixteen-year-old son from school while wearing a chicken suit.
    Fantastic! Not often such an opportunity arises.

A friend of a friend had a teenage son. He was into new age stuff at the time and my friend reports that in his"pyramid" stage, he would wear a pyramid hat whenever his son's friends came round.

Blog Entries
    How funny! I need some costumes

Blog Entries
    Teen revenge yesterday. I asked my daughter to cut my hair with one of those electric sheep shearering devices. She did - but only on one side. She took a photo on her phone and left me with a shorn left head. The photo is at this minute gathering admiring comments on her Facebook page.

My wife came to the rescue after a suitable amount of humiliation. It wasn't helped by my putting on the wrong attachment and having the "nutter cut". Ah well - it'll grow out...by next year.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Talking

Teen revenge yesterday.
    Brilliant. That means that you have managed to help her make use of her creativity.

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    eh it is not bad at all, as long as it is in good fun. As much as parents think they are the only ones, teens tend to purposly instigate things for a reaction as well. Oh the things I still do to my dearest mum and dad. Not so bad since I got my own place, but when us kids are together for the holidays its on. But they get us back pretty well, on a regular basis... I think it represents a very healthy relationship. Hey the only reason parents let us live is so they can get grandkids, well known fact. and instead of beating us, they simply play our game and attmempt to win. see no harm no foul... And any resentment towards parent or child for simple annoyances, is a personaly choice. I personaly choose not to resent people, but if I did resent someone it would be a well deserving person, with several well deserving acts. not a silly ordeal that could be laughed over now.

But I'm one of those frustrating teens so what do I know...

(and you are all missing the best one... when your teen girl goes to put a towel in the dryer to get it warm for after shower, simply turn the dryer off, and turn the waterheater down to like 70...You have no clue what happened to the hot water, than go turn it up and enjoy your warm shower see how fast she can get ready...its amazing)

*and are we forgetting our parents invented the game, why cant they play too?

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast