Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Quran Biased?

Caddy smells like trees caddy_caddy's Avatar
    Well,reading is one thing and understanding is another thing .

The only question I would like to ask, is that Is Quran biased with respect to religion?
    It depends on our standpoints . Again I 'm saying when u read a verse you should ask first about the occasion of the revelation of that verse .

I wish there was more aesthetic literary beauty along the lines of what I have quoted above.
    SFG75, I assure you can find such an aesthetic beauty in the original language but not in English for sure or any other translated one .

As an opening, I have not read all of any holy book, but I am a Christian.

Also, I do recognize that selectively quoting parts of any religion, novel, speech, or anything that is said by man, or God, can be used to transform the original message into something hateful. For instance, take the following quotation:

Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against—or two in favor and three against.
    How can the book where this passage comes from be peaceful and teach tolerance? With no knowledge of where this quotation comes from, one would be forced to conclude that the message of the entire work is intolerance and hatred.

However, that quotation comes from the Bible, which all clear minded people recognize as a peaceful work. It is Luck 12:51-52.

The argument that I am trying to make is that in order to make a decision whether a work is biased or teaches a bad message one must look at the
    entire work as a whole. As literary readers, this argument should be self evident.

With that argument in collective understanding, I believe that the Qu'ran is biased and that it does not t each tolerance except to those who are Muslim. One must remember that Islam, and the Qu'ran practice abrogation. That means that later statements and principles usurp and replace older principles. Thus, Sura 9:5, aka the Sura of the Sword, replaces other, older suras.

9:5 When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. If they repent and take to prayer and render the alms levy, allow them to go their way. God is forgiving and merciful.
    How can this be tolerance? The Qu'ran specifically calls for the death of un-believers. The only tolerant part is if the un-believer converts and pays a tax. Islam calls for everyone to be either killed or a member of Islam, no other religion can exist in the world.

Yes, this is selectively quoting the work, but it is more than that. This sura is at the heart of the Qu'ran's message and the teachings of the religion. This sura does not transform the original intent of the work, it beings that intent to light.

For further clarification, here is some more evidence, all of which are at the heart of Islam and thusly the Qu'ran. There is a story where Mohammed is approached by a prostitute, forgive me for I cannot remember where, and the prostitute asks to be forgiven for her sins. Mohammad replies that she should be stoned and will never be forgiven for her sins. In the Bible, New Testament, the same type of scenerio is given and Jesus forgives the prostitute for her sins for she loves Jesus.

Look at the differences between the prostitutes story and add to it dhimmitude, the House of War and the House of Islam, total subjection of women, jihad, and the overt racism found in the Qu'ran I am forced to conclude that Islam is not a peaceful religion. All of these ideas and formal preachings are unique, to my knowledge, to Islam. No other religion calls for the servitude or death of other religions. Is that not intolerance?

With that said, I also do not believe that it is pure evil. The Five Tenets of Islam are very appealing, and peaceful. Also, the religion calls for helping the poor, sick, and dejected (so long as they are Muslim).

I hope that anyone reading this does not think that I am giving a free pass to Christianity, for I am not. Christians of past eras have done horrible things. Some, but not all, include the Inquisition, the Crusades (though I think they get a bad rap), and the persecution of Jews. Those times, however, are in the past for Christianity. One must remember that the Christian religion has developed over time and has adjusted to the modern world. I fail to see this in Islam.

And the basis for Islam's continuation of what is, essentially, a 14th century culture is that Islam is tied down by the Qu'ran. As the "final" word of God, there is no reason for Islam to develop and grow. Remember, Christianity had two Great Schisms, a Reformation, Enlightenment, Industrial Revolution, and numerous offshoots. Islam has had one Great Schism, and that is it. Shariah has tied Islam to a world gone by and the religion fails to see that the world around it has changed.

For evidence, look at Iran, and the entire Middle East today. Nearly every country has been backward in development. Nearly all are going through revolution and revolt. Libya is about to enter civil war, Iran is a theocracy that boarders on the world envisioned in 1984, and Egypt has just gone through a revolt that will lead to revolution. All of these countries have one thing in common, Islam.

It is my hope that after reading this others will question me, respectfully, and take what I say with a grain of salt. I do not intend to harm or disrespect anyone. This is simply my beliefs and convictions after careful consideration. Yes, I need more knowledge, but this is how I see it as of 22 Feb.

i disagree with you nazish, because i do not believe that by creating this thread you have done something wrong, or to close it is right, though one should respect the religious sentiments of others.
    i have read Quran in urdu myself, not in english, of course apart from arabic text. i do not believe that Quran is biased. since i was taught kalma, i believe strongly in Allah, and when i read Quran after reciting it in arabic, i considered it as a guidance manual for me, like the information manual we get with all the things we purchase. at some places i got confused, i questioined myself, i read other books, and i got answers. when you read Quran at first, it appears biased as it teaches us that jews and christians are not our friend. but it also says that muslim men can marry the "parsa" women of "ahl-e-kitab", is it biased? when it allows you to eat and drink with them, as far as you abstain from alcohol, is it biased? when it sometimes directly sometimes indirectly teaches you to behave nicely with all non-muslims as long as they are peaceful, is it biased? i think the problem is that we all are interpreting the translations as we desire, forgetting the original manuscript. i respect all books, i have a tiny-bit knowledge about bible as well. but i believe in Quran and i believe it seems difficult, its orders appear burdensome, but in the long-run it is true, not biased.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to read the glorious koran, but i do like the concept of jinn being able to have free will to do either good or evil. and they are definitely real.

Is Quran Biased?

Quran is a very prestigious books of the muslims. It is not biased at all, as some people feel about it. It is all just a matter of faith that one puts in somewhere. If you know how to read Quran you can easily pass through a lot of difficult situations in life easily.

Mohammed is approached by a prostitute, forgive me for I cannot remember where, and the prostitute asks to be forgiven for her sins. Mohammad replies that she should be stoned and will never be forgiven for her sinS

this is a mere lie . Many wrote lies about Prophet Muhammad. He was the most merciful man on earth. You should check the reliability of the source where you read this information .

NB: I'll research your questions and try to find answers in the " ARABIC SOURCES"
    Last edited by caddy_caddy; 07-18-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    I liked the quote in your signature, caddy_caddy.

I don't know myself;you don't know yourself .
    I don't know you ; you don't know me .
    Don't be stupid and pretend the opposite --Ibrahim Alzenedy

I can't imagine that Mohammed would want someone who was repenting of their sins, whatever they were, to be stoned, but it makes me wonder if there are any sins he would not forgive.

Aren't you supposed to know that? You are a muslim, aren't you?

Blog Entries
    I'm not a muslim, but I am curious about Mohammed and if there might be any sins he would not forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I liked the quote in your signature, caddy_caddy.

I don't know myself;you don't know yourself .
    I don't know you ; you don't know me .
    Don't be stupid and pretend the opposite --Ibrahim Alzenedy

I can't imagine that Mohammed would want someone who was repenting of their sins, whatever they were, to be stoned, but it makes me wonder if there are any sins he would not forgive.
    Bty Mohammad is not the one who forgives like in Christianity you go to a priest and confess your sins to be forgiven. Allah /God is the only one who guarentees repentance and gives forgiveness. So, when the woman went to Muhammad she was asking NOT FOR FORGIVENESS because she had already repented . I researched the story and here you are how it goes:
    The woman was not a prostitute. Her name was " ALGAMEDYA"and she was a virtuous woman and the wife of one of the prophet's disciples. She adulterated and got pregnant. She went to Mohammad after her repentance asking for " purification through death " in front of everyone. He ignored her demand and asked her to leave to deliver her baby. After she delivered her baby she came back again asking for purification ; he ignored her again and ask her to take care of her son and to breastfeed him. She did so and came back after two years with her son and asked him for purification again . He asked the people " who can take this boy into custody and he will be my companion in heaven like these two (his fingers)? After that he ordered them to stone her to death and he prayed on her. Omar Ebn Alkhatan was upset because the prophet prayed on an adulteress and he asked him : how could you pray on her ? the prophet replied : she repented and her repentance equals the repentance of 70 men. There is no repentance better than hers. She, who gave herself to Allah"

The only unpardonable sin is polytheism.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caddy_caddy View Post
    Bty Mohammad is not the one who forgives like in Christianity you go to a priest and confess your sins to be forgiven..
    Protestant Christians would not agree, In classic Calvinist theology we are all sinners. By God's grace and faith in Christ and his sacrificial death, some may be reckoned as righteous but not through any works of their own.

I'm a Christian but not a Calvinist and I may be being unfair to their position.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

He was the most merciful man on earth."
    After that he ordered them to stone her to death and he prayed on her.
    Compare with John 8:7. Yet Mohammad was the 'most merciful man on earth'.

Polytheism almost by nature encourages a plurality of perspectives. It is why Anaximander looking at fish fossils in the 6 century BCE has the cognitive freedom to posit animal evolution.

Blog Entries
    Bty Mohammad is not the one who forgives like in Christianity you go to a priest and confess your sins to be forgiven. Allah /God is the only one who guarentees repentance and gives forgiveness. So, when the woman went to Muhammad she was asking NOT FOR FORGIVENESS because she had already repented .
    That makes sense.

I researched the story and here you are how it goes:
    The woman was not a prostitute. Her name was " ALGAMEDYA"and she was a virtuous woman and the wife of one of the prophet's disciples. She adulterated and got pregnant. She went to Mohammad after her repentance asking for " purification through death " in front of everyone. He ignored her demand and asked her to leave to deliver her baby. After she delivered her baby she came back again asking for purification ; he ignored her again and ask her to take care of her son and to breastfeed him. She did so and came back after two years with her son and asked him for purification again . He asked the people " who can take this boy into custody and he will be my companion in heaven like these two (his fingers)? After that he ordered them to stone her to death and he prayed on her. Omar Ebn Alkhatan was upset because the prophet prayed on an adulteress and he asked him : how could you pray on her ? the prophet replied : she repented and her repentance equals the repentance of 70 men. There is no repentance better than hers. She, who gave herself to Allah"
    It seems to me Mohammed should have forced her to live as her purification penance. By having her stoned he set a precedent that others would follow.

I wonder if the Christian trinity is a form of polytheism?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AbdulWahid Hami View Post
    Quran is a very prestigious books of the muslims. It is not biased at all, as some people feel about it. It is all just a matter of faith that one puts in somewhere. If you know how to read Quran you can easily pass through a lot of difficult situations in life easily.
    What about people that are not muslim? isnt the Quran biased towards muslims? can non-muslims reap the promised rewards of the Quran?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I wonder if the Christian trinity is a form of polytheism?
    it is for Unitarians.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast