Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Is Quran Biased?

YesNo

While I agree that the Quran is biased you are incorrect in suggesting that it is peculiar to that holy text. It doesn't take long to dig up quotes from the Bible that are against other ethnic groups. Witness the exhortations in the Bible to kill/massacre various groups. The Phillistine jibe (derived from the Bible) has been shown by archaelologists to be misguided. The Phillistines were quite a cultured people as it so happens.

Nazish

You don't need an Islamic Scholar to verify Islam's stance regarding this matter. That is the position adopted by all Muslims.

That said, there are other ways of looking at the matter - the most obvious one being that Christians cribbed from the Jewish texts and Muslims copied from the Christian and Jewish texts with alterations to suit their needs. The Jews weren't particularly original either, as many people have argued. They stole a great many of their ideas (like the 10 commandments, the great flood etc.) from other people of the middle east. It might be useful for you check out some of the videos on YouTube by AronRa that go into this matter in more detail. Archaelogical evidence definitely shows that many of the ideas in the Bible (old and new testaments) had their antecedents in older cultures of the middle east.

orgoo

I think your comment about the Hadithes is misleading, particularly to those who have no grounding in Islam.

• Firstly the Prophet himself forbade the writing down of the hadithes during his lifetime.
    • The earliest hadithes wwere written several centuries after the death of the Prophet.

Even Muslim agree that some of the hadithes are unreliable.
    • Furthermore there are extremely varying interpretations of the hadithes and therefore widely varying ideas and practices within Islam.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Munshie View Post
    Nazish

You don't need an Islamic Scholar to verify Islam's stance regarding this matter. That is the position adopted by all Muslims.

That said, there are other ways of looking at the matter - the most obvious one being that Christians cribbed from the Jewish texts and Muslims copied from the Christian and Jewish texts with alterations to suit their needs. The Jews weren't particularly original either, as many people have argued. They stole a great many of their ideas (like the 10 commandments, the great flood etc.) from other people of the middle east. It might be useful for you check out some of the videos on YouTube by AronRa that go into this matter in more detail. Archaelogical evidence definitely shows that many of the ideas in the Bible (old and new testaments) had their antecedents in older cultures of the middle east.
    The view point of Muslims is only one of many ways to view the Quran.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    YesNo

While I agree that the Quran is biased you are incorrect in suggesting that it is peculiar to that holy text. It doesn't take long to dig up quotes from the Bible that are against other ethnic groups. Witness the exhortations in the Bible to kill/massacre various groups. The Phillistine jibe (derived from the Bible) has been shown by archaelologists to be misguided. The Phillistines were quite a cultured people as it so happens.
    Which "Bible"? There are many different books with that title.

HCabret

Islam is a a particular religon. Islam belongs to the group 'all religions'. My statement's meaning is very clear. It was worded in the way it was for the specific reason that we are operating in a world characterised by islamophobia (a subject I have written about and lectured at De Montfort University for 15 years) and I do not wish my comment to be used as ammunition by Islamophobes. But if you wish to be pedantic, yes Islam is biased. But I repeat, as a religion it is not alone in this.

HCabret

You can take whatever Bible you want that includes the Old Testament. If you want precise quotes, I can do that for you in a couple of days.

HCabret

And is it wrong to point out that it is biased and it shares that characteristic with other religions? IMO your complaint is more about feeling threatened by the descriptor applying to your own faith too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    HCabret

You can take whatever Bible you want that includes the Old Testament. If you want precise quotes, I can do that for you in a couple of days.
    what about the bibles that don't include the "Old Testament"?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    HCabret

And is it wrong to point out that it is biased and it shares that characteristic with other religions? IMO your complaint is more about feeling threatened by the descriptor applying to your own faith too.
    This thread is about the Quran, not about any bibles.

There isn't only one way to interpret the Quran. Just because you disagree with someone's literary analysis does not make it wrong. For the purposes of this thread, the Quran is not non-fiction and is open to literary analysis as is an other work which is discussed on this forum. My "motive" is to take the negative position of the question which is posed in the OP.

I would also add that some of the authentic letters of Paul are 20 to 30 years older than the earliest Gospel, and they some historical information about Jesus (though not as much as we would like). One should also mention the many non-Canonical Gospels written in the 2nd century, and the sayings collection known as The Gospel of Thomas, which some scholars believe to be from the 1st century, or to represent an authentic sayings collection of Jesus made in his lifetime, which was worked adopted to the theology of a certain group in the 2nd Century.

Moslems enjoy religious bias like any bunch. Bias against other groups is one of the world's great recreations. Racial bias is rich with humor and tradition. Many prefer it to religious bias, which for good reason has its share of loyal adherents and admirers. Most moslems prefer religious bias. They have not yet advanced to pigment bias. Give 'em time. The majority of moslems are primitive people about level with the pilgrims when they hit Plymouth Rock. Moslems were burying their scat in the dunes a mere generation ago with the camels.

A moslem's religious bias involves chopping off the odd head, of course. Do not be worried by that peccadillo. It only honors Allah (piece of pie upon him) to do so. A Christian's religion involves burning the odd witch. It honors the son and the father, but especially the holy ghost. Such peccadillos are part of the small price we pay for the prominent advantages of religion.

The main exports of modern moslem countries are oil and hairy legs. These are also their two main cultural contributions.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789