Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is Quran Biased?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul cu Item View Post
    Just got updated on this issue: http://www.online-literature.com/for...=gender+of+god...is it still in the forum rules then ? otherwise some minor points on this issue.

To clarify, in islamic doctrines there is no Muslim, Christian or Jewish God- there is just God, One and Only.

Also God, sometimes, refers to Himself as 'We" in Quran but that We is not in plural sense. Islam is clear on this issue that He has no gender, whose masculine styles of speech lies in the grammatical form of the original language of Quran. which is arabic.

I do not know which religion or which God you worship since it is irrelevent to me ( since you are free to believe in denying the concept of God being genderless) worship God in ,but to clarify it is not only Muslims and Quran which refer to God as He but since you are interwested in discussing this topic I could still have a healthy discussion with you in private or give you some links if you want, if its not against the rules.
    the question at hand in this thread is whether or not the Quran is biased. I have taken the position that it is. It explicitly excludes both non-Muslims and women from it's telling. The main character of the Quran (the Muslim god) is a male, as well as the main human characters which are also male (Moses, Jesus, Abraham, Adam, etc).

The Quran is not a universal document and does not conform to the conceptions of religion which the vast majority of human beings hold. It is biased towards Muslims, while excluding all those who are not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Some of the qualities are mentioned in post #60 while also having steadfast faith in God, not neglecting prayers and charity but the definition of the word true here is when on the day of judgement, ones heart will be pure of polytheism.
    faith in which god? what's wrong with polytheism?

Quote Originally Posted by HCabret View Post
    the question at hand in this thread is whether or not the Quran is biased. I have taken the position that it is. It explicitly excludes both non-Muslims and women from it's telling. The main character of the Quran (the Muslim god) is a male, as well as the main human characters which are also male (Moses, Jesus, Abraham, Adam, etc).

The Quran is not a universal document and does not conform to the conceptions of religion which the vast majority of human beings hold. It is biased towards Muslims, while excluding all those who are not.
    Why are you singling out Muslims? Which major monotheistic religion does not refer to God as 'He' and is not biased towards the male and all the other things you said?
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    The Quran, like the Communist Manifesto, is an analysis of the human condition with a strong recommendation as to the appropriate action in the circumstances. It is not biased towards Muslims. It is saying all humans should follow its recommendations, which will mean they would then be Muslims.

Twenty years ago I studied modern Christian theology with a feminist theologian. Many women say they have found meaning and encouragement through being Muslims.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mona amon View Post
    Why are you singling out Muslims? Which major monotheistic religion does not refer to God as 'He' and is not biased towards the male and all the other things you said?
    the topic of this thread is about whether Quran is biased or not. The Quran is the Muslim holy text. There are many female Hindu gods and there are no gods in Jainism or Buddhism. The usage of masculine language in the text if the Quran is a sign a bias towards males. The Quran was written by males about males for the benefit of males.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    The Quran, like the Communist Manifesto, is an analysis of the human condition with a strong recommendation as to the appropriate action in the circumstances. It is not biased towards Muslims. It is saying all humans should follow its recommendations, which will mean they would then be Muslims.
    The fact that the Quran implores people to give up their own beliefs and instead adopt Islam is bias. A universal piece of literature would not force people to give up their beliefs.

Twenty years ago I studied modern Christian theology with a feminist theologian. Many women say they have found meaning and encouragement through being Muslims.
    I never said they hadn't. Islam and the Quran is a long ways away from Goddess Worship and The Mists of Avalon, however.

I'm not saying it is wrong to refer to any given deity as a "He", I'm just pointing it out that said deity does not act from a female point of view.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Rather than say "The Quran is biased" why not say "Islam is intolerant and exclusive"?
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    Rather than say "The Quran is biased" why not say "Islam is intolerant and exclusive"?
    beacause the topic of this thread is whether or not the Quran is biased or not. This is a literature forum, not a forum for discussing the merits of any given religion.

Quran says: Oh MAnkind!
    Quran says: Oh the Believers!
    Quran says: Oh the Disbelievers!

Quran calls all. Otherwise it won't refer it as a guidance for 'mankind.'

Quran only prohibits friendship with those, who have fought the followers of truth on account of religion or made the Truthfuls leave their homeland. Otherwise, it says: Allah loves those, who deal in equity.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk A Hakim View Post
    Quran says: Oh MAnkind!
    Quran says: Oh the Believers!
    Quran says: Oh the Disbelievers!

Quran calls all. Otherwise it won't refer it as a guidance for 'mankind.'

Quran only prohibits friendship with those, who have fought the followers of truth on account of religion or made the Truthfuls leave their homeland. Otherwise, it says: Allah loves those, who deal in equity.
    The Quran requires that all humans follow only one god, while completely disrespecting all others gods. Does the Muslim god love those who reject "him"?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Duplicate

You... are beautiful
    the question at hand in this thread is whether or not the Quran is biased. I have taken the position that it is. It explicitly excludes both non-Muslims and women from it's telling.

Many verses in third chapter of Quran mentions non muslims in a good light and portrays them as possessing positive attitude and appreciates their good characterisitc .

Exclusion of women? really? if that is case then why is chapter # 19 named after Saint Mary, another chapter #4 is titled as The Women and also why in other chapter 23 and 33 the issues pertaining discuseed in detail?

The main character of the Quran (the Muslim god) is a male,
    According to you? Well you are free to believe whether male or female but do not present your reasoning as facts.

as well as the main human characters which are also male (Moses, Jesus, Abraham, Adam, etc).
    Womenfolk is consider a main part of Islam doctrines and literature, and appreciates their sacrifices and dignity. These Quranic verses considers and stresses on them ( Saint Mary, Pharoah`s wife, Prophets wives) being an ideal and an example, in piety, for the present and coming generations, male and female.

You... are beautiful
    faith in which god?
    Which God you want to discuss on?

what's wrong with polytheism?

Have you even gone through the references give in post # 72? the references given there are sufficient enough to answer your whys and ifs regarding polytheism. If you had do let us know which translation you refer to.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Many verses in third chapter of Quran mentions non muslims in a good light and portrays them as possessing positive attitude and appreciates their good characterisitc .
    does it portray polytheists in a positive light?

Exclusion of women? really? if that is case then why is chapter # 19 named after Saint Mary, another chapter #4 is titled as The Women and also why in other chapter 23 and 33 the issues pertaining discuseed in detail?
    how many other women characters are there?

According to you? Well you are free to believe whether male or female but do not present your reasoning as facts.
    does the Quran not use male pronouns when referring to the "God" character?

Womenfolk is consider a main part of Islam doctrines and literature, and appreciates their sacrifices and dignity. These Quranic verses considers and stresses on them ( Saint Mary, Pharoah`s wife, Prophets wives) being an ideal and an example, in piety, for the present and coming generations, male and female.
    "Womenfolk"? Are males and females presented as being equal in Quran? is there a male god and a female god?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Which God you want to discuss on?
    oh. that god.

Have you even gone through the references give in post # 72? the references given there are sufficient enough to answer your whys and ifs regarding polytheism. If you had do let us know which translation you refer to.
    I'm just asking. The Quran is not a feminist text whatsoever. It heavily favors the male point of view and disregards female contributions to society.