Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • *A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • **Take a nap instead

1 33.33%
  • ***Finished but no reason to skip meals

0 0%
  • ****Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

0 0%
  • *****A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

2 66.67%

Thread: "On Gravity's Rainbow", by Thomas Pynchon

"On Gravity's Rainbow", by Thomas Pynchon

No comment.

These are two words that I want to sum up the 'magnum opus' of author Thomas Pynchon's 1973 novel, titled "Gravity's Rainbow", for both good and bad. The funny part is that what I liked about this work rivals very, very closely with what I hated about this work.

According to my understanding, this novel contains a wide array of characters, one of them a GI whose sexual conquests correspond and coordinate with German V-2 rockets dropping on those locations (or is it?). There are also many, many other motifs, such as the mystery behind the Schwarzgerat, a rocket known as "00000", and the fusion of actuality with something in the realm between science-fiction, fantasy... or just one bad LSD trip.

In my reading, the novel did read to me like a strange yet nightmarish LSD trip: The narrative goes in millions and millions of directions... up, down, left, right, southeast, northwest... you get the picture. Characters weave in and out of the sprawling narrative, have fantasies of body parts such as Aenoids wreaking havoc on cities, partake in perverse/nightmarish games such as castrating people in pig suits, and scenes that range from weird to out there to flat-out disturbing, one outlandish yet nightmarish scene in the work involving a graphic depiction of the eating of feces (I say 'Ewww...').

Also note that "Gravity's Rainbow" is a punishing, punishing novel. Punishing in its extreme difficulty (It really is going to take more than one reading to even get what is even going on) and punishing in the fact that the work simply REEKS of metaphor.

What I feel the work does best is in its writing style, in which I sense that within lies a violent surge and feeling of paranoia throughout that drives the highly confusing narrative. The reader gets the feeling that he is going slowly insane and that dreaded feeling haunts the reader throughout his journey through "Gravity's Rainbow", and it is done in a way that almost no author has ever been able to replicate that extreme feeling of anxiety, paranoia, and extreme confusion that Pynchon strikes within his prose and in the reader.

My personal flaw with this novel was the fact that... I didn't even know what was going on throughout neither did I seem to find a purpose to the events described (though it makes sense that the events described symbolize the horrors of war, without detailing them... in a way). The author's style, I thought, was something I would call an acquired taste. It's hard to get at first, but has to take at LEAST more than one reading to comprehend where the author was going and where he was coming from.

For people who want to get into the works of Thomas Pynchon... do start with "The Crying of Lot 49" or his recent "Inherent Vice", accessible works that convey the same themes described in "Gravity's Rainbow", but is made easier for the reader to understand before venturing into not only this big work, but another later work titled "Against The Day".

I also would like to add that as difficult as my venture with "Gravity's Rainbow" was, I also ended up seeing my experience as rewarding and worth it.

To make a long story short... this is an excellent experience of a novel that will seriously MESS with your mind, and will take a couple of readings to even comprehend, lest get the gist of what has happened.

As Pynchon once said... "Let the reader decide. Let the reader beware."

Good luck.

-- Chilly
    "We look at the world, at governments, across the spectrum, some with more freedom, some with less. And we observe that the more repressive the State is, the closer life under it resembles Death. If dying is deliverance into a condition of total non-freedom, then the State tends, in the limit, to Death. The only way to address the problem of the State is with counter-Death, also known as Chemistry." -- Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

Pynchon's essence to me seems to lie in his ludic-rous digressions; they are often so inventive and creative it is easy to be 'distracted' by them and assume they detract from the 'actual' plot. His style is part pot-boiler pulp detective novel, part dime store comic... everything is a conspiracy, an abstruse ouroboros in which no one really knows who is chasing who [Vineland, Crying of Lot 49, V.- V. is my favorite].

Gravity's Rainbow, as I read it, is a sort of megalomaniaical farce, which is to say, a solipsistic slapstick.

It's not my favorite Pynchon- I thought it was too long- although criticisms such as this bug me even when I am the bearer of the sentiment, which basically evinces my own impatience and inability to concentrate rather than an authorial hamartia. Freely I admit his intelligence is vastly superior to my own and thus I am certain many aspects of his work go over my head, but the tarot part seemed tacked on, and the majority of the second book I did not care for.

But the onus is definitely just as much on the reader as it is on the writer and I agree to the sentiment that there is a sense of accomplishment in finishing books which are difficult, and not doing so with merely perfunctory scanning.

I really appreciate your input and outlook, arrytus.

I'm currently reading "Against the Day" and "Inherent Vice" ("Against the Day", while long, is surprisingly easier to grasp its accessibility than "Gravity's Rainbow" is.)

While I like the vastness of "Against the Day", it is still going to take me a bit to understand the meaning behind it, as well as the meaning and literary purpose behind "Inherent Vice" (So far, "Inherent" has got some great dialogue. I'll have to dedicate myself more to it to get something rewarding out of it).

Long story short... Pynchon is an author you will love or you will absolutely hate. He's one author where I cannot find a middle/'okay' ground for his works, even if "Vineland" disappointed critics and readers when it was first released.
    "We look at the world, at governments, across the spectrum, some with more freedom, some with less. And we observe that the more repressive the State is, the closer life under it resembles Death. If dying is deliverance into a condition of total non-freedom, then the State tends, in the limit, to Death. The only way to address the problem of the State is with counter-Death, also known as Chemistry." -- Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

I went on a Pynchon binge not too long ago and it might not be long before I go on on it again.

On a different thread a poster spoke about Pynchon's partiality to Kerouac. To me that's the attraction. There's a sense of playing "fast and loose" about Pynchon's style that sort of ignores the pedagogically favored form of English syntax. (Awkwardness is deliberately preserved.)

And to me, Gravity's Rainbow is Pynchon at his most "fast and loose" and "fly by the seat of his pants" prose mode which makes it far and above his most interesting read, i.e. stuff deserving of multiple rereads.

Blog Entries
    I think that with Gravity's Rainbow the novel has come full circle. It began in the sixteenth century with Rabelais's Gargantua, and it took about four hundred years for the novel to come back to its beginning. Now it begins again--in a never-ending spiral.
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to pick up 'Mason & Dixon'.

I do hear stories about it being incredibly difficult, but any time I pass by it at a bookstore or a library... it always seems to taunt or tempt me to pick it up and give it a read.

Oh, well. That's what happens when I set my hands on anything that has something to do with 'Pynchon'.

Of his works I intended to read Gravity's Rainbow first but I saw Vineland in a used books store a couple of weeks ago and decided to buy it. So I'll probably read that. How would it be as a first?

"Vineland", "Inherent Vice" and "The Crying of Lot 49" are great places to start as a first-time venture into Pynchon's world... then graduate up to "V" and "Against the Day". Save "Gravity's Rainbow" and "Mason & Dixon" for last.

Excellent. Thanks for that.

No problem. I should finish "Against the Day" by the end of this week if I can spend Friday and Saturday glued to it (It's funny... any time I see a Pynchon work and think of its immense difficulty, I end up thinking of the rewards of giving him a shot).

I will admit, "The Crying of Lot 49" was complex for its brevity and "Inherent Vice" was... strange.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Going to start it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Going to start it tonight.
    Good luck. It will be a challenging (and punishing) read, but soon, you will end up appreciating it a couple of weeks, even months after finishing it.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have "The Crying of Lot 49". I started it, but then put it down. I would like to finish it, but I am more comfortable with books that are more traditionally narrative. And Pynchon is just not that. I will pick it up again and finish it this summer, I hope.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just read the coprophagia scene with Pudding. My lord, that may have been the single most disgusting thing I've ever read. I almost gagged while reading.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm giving up. I'm halfway through, and it just isn't grabbing me. When opening a book feels like a loathsome chore, that's when I quit. Maybe I'll come back to it. I also got mason & Dixon sitting on my bookshelf. Maybe I'll enjoy that more.

Edit: Changed my mind. Not going to let GR beat me!
    Last edited by Mutatis-Mutandis; 04-16-2011 at 12:09 AM.