Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Tattoos inspired by literature.

Tattoos inspired by literature.

If you could get a tattoo (or already have a tattoo) inspired by a book or quote, what would it be?

As for myself I have a tattoo on my back that reads "Timshel." It was inspired by John Steinbeck's East of Eden, my all time favorite book!

What do you think about tattoos? Does having this sort of deeper meaning make a tattoo better for those of you who aren't fans?

Blog Entries
    I've been looking through Swamp Thing for a couple of months now to try to decide if I should get a tattoo. I think I'll go with a quote along my shoulders and some kind of swampthing-esque art.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

A Student
    A male teacher was telling us a story of how his girlfriend had "I prefer not to" tattooed on the back of her waistline. He found out immediately afterwards that she believes in abstinence.

They aren't dating anymore.

Blog Entries
    I have a spear being shaken on my shoulder blade that is supposed to be a play with the name shake-speare.... nobody gets it so I want to write beneath it: as long as men can breath and eyes can see, so long lives this and this gives life to thee...

it's from my favorite sonnet
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by IceM View Post
    A male teacher was telling us a story of how his girlfriend had "I prefer not to" tattooed on the back of her waistline. He found out immediately afterwards that she believes in abstinence.

They aren't dating anymore.
    HAHA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    I have a spear being shaken on my shoulder blade that is supposed to be a play with the name shake-speare.... nobody gets it so I want to write beneath it: as long as men can breath and eyes can see, so long lives this and this gives life to thee...

it's from my favorite sonnet
    Wow! That's actually really clever! Nobody got that?! It's so obvious! Anyhow, I think the addition would be a really nice touch and it would make it even more obvious (if that's possible)!