Thread: Rebirthday

Rebirthday

Note: This is definitely not my best work. It's a decent first draft that I don't think that I'll revise. Having said that, I would like feedback if you can provide it. Thanks and enjoy. . .

I hate my birthday. Not just this birthday, but every birthday that I can remember. I have never had a Ďhappy birthdayí.

As a young school boy, I had grown envious of the children whose birthday fell on a schoolday. On a schoolday, your classmates celebrated your birthday with you. There was always a cake; all day it would sit at the front of the room, building excitement in my peers. And then at the end of the day Ė the teacher would cut it. Cheering would follow and then they would serenade you. Twenty-two smiling faces are obliged to praise you when your birthday falls on a school day. And the biggest smile of all? Thatís reserved for the birthday boy. Even the kids who had a weekend birthday were fortunate enough to have the comfort of knowing that in a year or two, theyíd
    be the one to receive this honorary celebration. I never received such an honor. My birthday shares the date with the Winter Solstice; it is the twenty-first of December.
    I always received presents (even though my birthday is so close to Christmas) but I also learned early on that the presents didnít matter; it was the people. Well-meaning relatives would ask me what I wanted them to mail me and I would make up something that I wouldnít mind having. But secretly, I didnít want their presents. I wanted their presence.

Nonetheless, I have, for the most part, spent my birthdays alone. In the evening, I occasionally go out for dinner with a family member whose night opened up, or a friend who finished wrapping, or both. If I do end up getting both to show up, itís odd. Neither of these two people know of anything that they have in common except that they both know me, but the conversation always ends up on the topic of things equivalent to the weather. Oftentimes in these situations, I forget completely that itís my birthday and am only reminded of it at the end of the night when someone will tell me to have a happy birthday. My answer is consistently a slow: ďYeah Ö Right Ö I will.Ē And I never do.

Nowadays, birthdays donít mean much to most people, but they still do to me. I am fixated on having a happy birthday like I say I will. If I fail to have one, I must wait a whole year to try again. And by then, Iíve forgotten tactics that I came up with last birthday. What worries me most of all, even though I am relatively young, is that I have a set amount of tries. I do not have unlimited birthdays.

Still, I try to have happy birthdays, but I have finally come to accept defeat: I just wonít have one. So this year, I have decided to have the worst birthday that I can. The backwards logic behind it is that in future years I will be able to compare it to this one and be thankful that it at least wasnít as bad as this one. Thus, I head out the door.

I leave so quickly that I donít realize that my arms and head is exposed until Iím already marching outside. Itís freezing, but I keep going. I clench my teeth, This is going to be my worst birthday ever, I assert to myself. Snow is whipping around and I canít see a thing. I fold my arms up into my armpits. I keep pressing on and realize once more that Iím unsure as to where Iím headed. Iím trying to think of the worst place possible and I canít. Iím trying to keep walking and I canít. So I stop.

I pause for a moment and then turn around. I head back towards my warm home following the tracks that I laid. On my way back, I realize another thing. Iíve failed. But this time, I havenít failed at having a joyful birthday; Iíve failed at having an awful one.

I smile. Itís certainly not a happy birthday, but itís a start.

its really good writing. i envy you . its about your birthday right? i like birthday you know. maybe we are in common. i did not have birthday ever just once when i was 3 years old. how a shame . but it won't worry me more. My birthday coming soon at 31 of December. No one will bring me presents and gifts. i would like to its OK with me if it loaf of chocolate i don't mind. by the way, you are right when you just said birthday do not mean much for people i think that because now it not mean much for me even its coming. i don't care if they say happy birthday or not. if they say its OK thank you if not also thanks. The most days makes me happy my birthday because i feels that i grow up more and in these coming days i will turn 20 .
    your writing is very good no need to draft 2 or 3 good if you want to add more it will be really excellent.
    i will be waiting for you even if you will be lating for me

Thanks, Lit Girl! Your feedback warms my heart (to the flaw).

Blog Entries
    I guess this is a piece for school. I like the twist at the ending, but the beginning is rather redundant. In several different ways, you express how unfortunate your birthday experience is. It feels like you could make a better point; why do you spend the birthday with only one family member? Were are the people? Explain more. You could add more to this to make it relevant. Love the title and overall there is a lot of good writing in this piece.

This piece was not for school, but it could have been, as I am a junior in high school. I was just unhappy on my birthday, chronicled the events that transpired, and poured some of my pent-up frustration onto the forum.

Thanks for your feedback. Glad you like the little twist there at the ending.