Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Books of 2010

Your Favourite Books of 2010

Your favourite books of 2010 and why? (New reads to you)

After a little thinking mine are probably as follows:

Favourite Fiction: On Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham
    Favourite Non-Fiction: In Defence of Food by Michael Pollan

I greatly enjoyed the Maugham book. Quite simply I thought it was a great story, very well written and I enjoyed following the highs and lows of the protagonist throughout. It was one of these books where you completely ignore everything (and everyone) you until you have finished it. A very enjoyable novel.

In Defence of Food I read last week and can certainly identify with Pollan’s, no-nonsense, common sense approach to food and diet – local, organic, no crap (my triple, not Pollan’s, but sums-up his thinking somewhat). If you live in the western world, or eat a heavily westernised diet and don’t want heart-disease or cancer, you should probably read it too. As the cliché goes if you are going to read a book on food health it should most likely be this one.

Feel free to share yours and together we might come up with a few more books to add to the pile.

Edit: Here is Michael Pollan talking about his book if you are interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-t-7lTw6mA
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 12-20-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Grapes of Wrath, by J. Steinbeck. I developed very strong feelings towards the members of this family, and my attachment to some of them in particular grew so intense that it surprised me. I wish every novel could do that.
    Some days ago a found a very cheap copy of Maugham's Of Human Bondage (4 euros) but resisted buying it, for I had previously set a limit in order not to buy every single book in the bookstore. Maybe, if it's still there, I might give it a go! It's a Bildungsroman, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvia View Post
    Grapes of Wrath, by J. Steinbeck. I developed very strong feelings towards the members of this family, and my attachment to some of them in particular grew so intense that it surprised me. I wish every novel could do that.
    Some days ago a found a very cheap copy of Maugham's Of Human Bondage (4 euros) but resisted buying it, for I had previously set a limit in order not to buy every single book in the bookstore. Maybe, if it's still there, I might give it a go! It's a Bildungsroman, isn't it?
    Yes I suppose you could say so - bitter lessons!

as always Harry Potter :d
    -----------------------------
    Knock Knock Jokes | Knock Jokes | Momma Jokes | Hindi Jokes | Hindi jokes in hindi | FUNNY JOKES | FUNNY SMS
    Last edited by richardparker; 12-21-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Come on let's have some of your best books of 2010 - spread the joy.

Seasider
    The Postman Always Rings Twice by James Caan
    The Secret Lives of Somerset Maugham by Selena Hastings
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
    Beautiful Shadow by Andrew Wilson. Bio of Patricia Highsmith
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
    The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst
    Nemesis by Jo Nesbo
    Ur by Stephen King...the main character is a Kindle!!
    Thai Cookery Secrets
    The Hard Way Lee Child

There are others I've enjoyed...but all these via Kindle

My picks for favorite books of 2010:

1) "Imperial Bedrooms", by Bret Easton Ellis
    2) "War and Peace", by Leo Tolstoy
    3) "Glue", by Irvine Welsh
    4) "Already Dead: A California Gothic", by Denis Johnson
    "We look at the world, at governments, across the spectrum, some with more freedom, some with less. And we observe that the more repressive the State is, the closer life under it resembles Death. If dying is deliverance into a condition of total non-freedom, then the State tends, in the limit, to Death. The only way to address the problem of the State is with counter-Death, also known as Chemistry." -- Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

The Pit by Frank Norris
    Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh
    Sword of Honour by Evelyn Waugh
    The Secret Lives of Somerset Maugham by Selena Hastings
    Mad World by Paula Byrne

I read The Pit to complete my reading of the trilogy which also comprises McTeague and The Octopus,
    terrific writing about the conflict between men and money in 19th century America.
    I bought both the Waugh books for the same reason as I had already read much of his work and wanted
    to progress further with his novels.
    I went into a bookshop to buy Paula Byrne's biography of Waugh because it had been well received and
    I saw Selina Hastings biography of W S Maugham, so I bought them both: partly because I had read other
    biographies on Maugham and I wanted to see if she revealed anything new but, apart from highlighting Thomas
    Mann's homosexuality, which had already been hinted at in Donald Prater's book Thomas Mann a Life, Maugham's
    promiscuity had already be adequately covered in the definitive Maugham biography by Ted Morgan
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 12-20-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Catch-22- Joseph Heller
    For Whom the Bell Tolls- Ernest Hemingway
    Things Fall Apart- Chinua Achebe
    A Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess
    The Grapes of Wrath- John Steinbeck
    Into the Wild- Jon Krakauer

I think my choice for 2010 is The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. I hated this one my first try and gave up after about 30 pages. I even made a thread here dissing it. The second time though. Wow. I didn't really get into it until about page 115 when Jake and Bill go down to Spain. At that point in the book, the terse dialogue and description stopped feeling empty and started to feel like an honest reflection of the way people interact with with each other and perceive their environment. I have to admit I'm a big believer in Iceberg Theory now.

As far as nonfiction I'll go with What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a collection of vignettes that range from birth control to Enron. I always find his stuff thought provoking, even when it's not the most academic or thorough.

Other great reads were Cat's Cradle (which I almost chose instead of SAR), Siddhartha, Animal Farm, and Of Mice and Men.

Blog Entries
    Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. I like how she puts her point of view on how God and the Devil are with one another and their interactions while the Devil was still an archangel and so forth. Also, her interpretation of Heaven and Hell.
    "I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking."

Blog Entries
    I discovered Margaret Atwood this year, and read a ton. My favorite was Oryx and Crake.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Oh, I see, favorite book that I've read in 2010, not necessarily favorite book that was released in 2010.

Finally finishing Anna Karenina was a big deal for me. The discovery of Stendhal was also pretty pleasant.

Ultimately, though, my favorite thing that I read this year was definitely Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

Anna Karenina and Into the Wild (again)

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I eased back into reading after graduating last December, so nothing on my list is of the most mind boggling or philosophical nature, but I really did enjoy some:

Fiction

Things Fall Apart - Achebe
    Lady Chatterley's Lover - Lawrence
    Wuthering Heights - Bronte
    Jane Eyre - Bronte
    The Face of Deception - Johansen

Non Fiction

Mountains Beyond Mountains - Tracey Kidder
    The Blue Sweater - Jacqueline Novogratz

The fiction I enjoyed for their story but also because I gained a lot from reading them...as well as the non fiction. Both of those are about people who came from humble backgrounds but used what they learned to help those around the world in need.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast