Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The earthquake

Blog Entries

The earthquake

I have to say it's pretty tragic and I hope the best for people, Santa Cruz is only a couple hours away from me and even they got hit by the waves, so far four people are dead from what I have heard.

I would like to think something like this would wake us up enough to stop fighting over spilled milk, and most of all to get our heads our of our butts, maybe live life a little rather then spending our energy trying to find ways to destroy it. It can take us out easier then we can take it out.
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

Blog Entries
    8.9 magnitude is pretty amazing. That makes it the fifth largest earthquake ever recorded (thank you, geology class). It's pretty impressive to see so many people in such a small area withstand something so powerful, all things considered it could have been so much worse up to this point. Here's crossing our fingers for the nuclear plants.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 03-12-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I live in Tokyo (got stuck in another prefecture and had an adventure walking home last night), and Tokyo, at least, is good. I don't know about the nuclear plants... I'm ignoring that bit... :/ Still getting tremors, but the biggest problem here was the trains. They shut down until after 9 and then barely ran. Transportation and food, food was hard to come by. Where I am it's mostly really quiet today. I think everybody is staying inside for now. Japan is built for earthquakes though, and I'm very, very glad the buildings held up under that test. As far as I know, the biggest concern is for the people in the northern parts of the main island. Please keep them in your thoughts.

I hope the tsunamis aren't doing too much damage. I have a friend in Hawaii, but I got news she was safe at least. I'm sorry to hear about Santa Cruz.

Blog Entries
    I have a cousin who lives in one of the prefectures around Tokyo, we haven't heard from him or his wife, but they're probably OK. My understanding is that most of the major damage was in the North.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One of my best friends lives in Tokyo. I spent yesterday morning trying to contact him to make sure he and his wife are alright. Fortunately, they're fine, if a little shaken. They live about five minutes from that oil refinery in Ishihara that blew up, so I'll admit I was pretty worried.

However, Japan's amazing ability to deal well with earthquakes, even apocalyptic level ones like this, is really commendable.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Apart from feeling for all those people affected, I was pretty amazed at those images of people being really calm and holding onto the panels in the office and eventually going to sit under a table because that was the safest. It really struck me. If this were to happen in any other place people would be literally screaming.

What was worrying though was those images of façades slightly crumbling on the streets and that water! Can't find the words for it.

I understand that the nuclear plant has a problem with the cooling system and that they actually need to let off steam so the pressure does not build up. They did say it was slightly radioactive, but nothing that damges public health. [edit]: ok, seems that I was a bit behind on this ... I hope they can solve the problem. *crosses fingers*

You do have to commend the great hands on approach (as far as I have seen on the BBC that is).
    Last edited by kiki1982; 03-12-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    It's a terrible event. A small town has been wiped out with 10,000 estimated to have been killed.

We're expecting a Japanese exchange student next week - who is from the south - Osaka. We are wondering whether their trip will be postponed.

Blog Entries
    It is very terrible.

We watched the news yesterday in school to see it; it's completely awful all the damage it has caused.
    "I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone else find it just a tad eery that all this stuff (animals mysteriously dying being the thing that comes to me mind) is happening, and now this earthquake all before 2012, the supposed end of the world?

Or, maybe Japan just did something to piss of God. I'm sure Pat Robertson will let us know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    Does anyone else find it just a tad eery that all this stuff (animals mysteriously dying being the thing that comes to me mind) is happening, and now this earthquake all before 2012, the supposed end of the world?

Or, maybe Japan just did something to piss of God. I'm sure Pat Robertson will let us know.
    Australians joked about it with all the recent disasters here and in NZ. The other observation is there seems to be an amazing amount of political unrest surging through countries too - but it could all be in my head!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    it's kinda unreal watching the news. so sad, a girl I know is in Osaka and she was giving a lecture when it started but she is OK, just shaken like everybody else. Also a cousin of mine lives near the pacific and they had to be prepared for the tsunamis but it wasn't necessary when it came to the shore
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries

In 1985 we had:

March 3 – An 8.0 on the Richter magnitude scale earthquake hits Santiago and Valparaíso leaving 177 dead, 2,575 hurt, 142,489 destroyed houses and about a million people houseless

# May 25 – Bangladesh is hit by a tropical cyclone and storm surge, which kills approximately 10,000 people.
    # May 29 – Heysel Disaster: 38 spectators are killed in rioting on the terraces during the European Cup final between Liverpool F.C. and Juventus at Heysel Stadium in Brussels, Belgium.
    # May 31 – Forty-one tornadoes hit in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario, killing 76.

August 2 – Delta Air Lines Flight 191 crashes near Dallas, Texas, killing 137 people.

August 12 – Japan Airlines Flight 123 crashes in Japan, killing 520 people (the worst single-aircraft disaster in history).
    # August 22 – British Airtours Flight 28M The 737's left engine caught fire while on its take off roll, 55 people are killed while trying to evacuate the aircraft.
    # August 25 – Samantha Smith, "Goodwill Ambassador" between the Soviet Union and the United States for writing a letter to Yuri Andropov about nuclear war, and eventually visiting the Soviet Union at Andropov's request, dies in the Bar Harbor Airlines Flight 1808 plane crash. She was 13.
    eptember

* September 6 – Midwest Express Airlines Flight 105, a Douglas DC-9, crashes just after takeoff from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, killing 31.
    * September 19 – An 8.1 Richter scale earthquake strikes Mexico City. Around 10,000 people are killed, 30,000 injured, and 95,000 left homeless.
    September 28 – The 1985 Brixton race riots are sparked with the shooting of Dorothy 'Cherry' Groce by the Metropolitan Police in Brixton, an area of South London, England.

# November 23 – EgyptAir Flight 648 is hijacked by the Abu Nidal group and flown to Malta, where Egyptian commandos storm the plane; 60 are killed by gunfire and explosions.
    # November 25 – “Aeroflot” Antonov AN-12 cargo airplane in route from Cuito Cuanavale to Luanda was shot down by South African Special Forces and crashed approximately 43 km of Menongue, the provincial center of the Cuando Cubango province, Angola, killing 8 crew members and 13 passengers on board.

# December 8 – South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) established.
    # December 12 – Arrow Air Flight 1285, a Douglas DC-8, crashes after takeoff in Gander, Newfoundland, killing 256, 248 of whom were U.S. servicemen returning to Fort Campbell, Kentucky from overseeing a peacekeeping force in Sinai.
    # December 16 – In New York City, Mafia bosses Paul Castellano and Thomas Bilotti are shot dead in front of Spark's Steak House, making hit organizer John Gotti the leader of the powerful Gambino organized crime family.
    # December 24 – Right wing extremist David Lewis Rice murders civil rights attorney Charles Goldmark as well as Goldmark's wife and 2 children in Seattle. Rice suspected the family of being Jewish and Communist and claimed his dedication to the Christian Identity movement drove him to the crime.
    # December 27

* Rome and Vienna airport attacks: Abu Nidal terrorists open fire in the airports of Rome and Vienna, leaving 18 dead and 120 injured.
    * American naturalist Dian Fossey is found murdered in Rwanda.

On reading what you said, I remembered 1985, which seemed to have a lot of disasters, a few of which I have listed from Wikipedia.

It was also the year of Live Aid, and so the Ethiopian famine was going on in Africa and this was the year before the Chernobyl disaster too!

It's perhaps just one of those years when lots of crap happens.
    Last edited by Paulclem; 03-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    True, Paul. I'm sure we could look at any year and point to all the disasters and make note of them. They just stand out more when the next year is the supposed apocalypse.

Blog Entries
    True, Paul. I'm sure we could look at any year and point to all the disasters and make note of them. They just stand out more when the next year is the supposed apocalypse.
    Yes - it was just what you said that reminded me what an awful disaster year it was. I remember watching report after report on plane crashes over the year. It was quite horrible.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last year had the largest number of natural disasters on record. The problem isn't that there are natural disasters, per se, but rather that there are more people so people are forced to live in potential disaster zones. That's why you see more of it on the news. If a flood occurs in an unpopulated area, no one cares about it.

My thoughts are with the Japanese right now. Watching those pictures of the tsunami was terrifying. The death toll is going to be much greater than the current conservative estimates. Whole towns have been wiped out. How do you recover from that?
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast