Thread: Essay beginning. good or Bad

Blog Entries

Question Essay beginning. good or Bad

In 'Romeo and Juliet', how does Shakespeare use violence and conflict to engage the audience?

'Romeo and Juliet' was wrote when Elizabeth the first was on the throne, Shakespeare was her favorite play writer of that era. In 'Romeo and Juliet' Shakespeare used conflict company by violence that very stage within the play, through different ways which are used language to drawn the audience, atmosphere of beginning of the play, and the conflict which no doubly follow on with violence between the main houses which hint in Prologue. In 'Romeo and Juliet' the characters are important element, Shakespeare display it through out the play that very character has role to show to audience which engaged them by curious mind to see now character develops. Shakespeare also make sure very line and character are link in one way or either to other character or to scene in the play. Shakespeare loves used misunderstanding in 'Romeo and Juliet' which were audience know what all characters have done.

Shakespeare has structure 'Romeo and Juliet' in extreme clever and cunning way which audience do not alway see come. Shakespeare used the theme of conflict within to high rank families in the Provence of Verona in Italy in Elizabethan time. Immediately get audience think of conflict between the two families, which hint in Prologue. In Act 1 Scene 1 the conflict spill out between very lowest ranks of families. The violence introduce by bottom ranks of houses in the play but which already hint in Prologue.

For example of conflict, a quote from Prologue." Two households, both alike in dignity,
    In fair Verona, where lay our scene,
    From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
    Where civil blood makes civil unclean hands".

For example of violence in Scene 1 Act 1, a quote. Sampson "Yes, better,sir."
    Abraham "You lie".
    Sampson "Draw, if you be men. Gregory, remember thy swashing
    blow".
    They fight.

To a opposite to conflict and violence in most of acts, Shakespeare has actual change structure of one which Act 2 Scene 6. Shakespeare used dramatic irony lots within 'Romeo and Juliet' were audience heard words said by characters and three characters are Juliet, Romeo and Friar Lawrence. Shakespeare structure this scene has gentle, idly, with words of love spoken. The words have been put together to gave audience understanding now dramatic irony is used within out characters knowing what they saying, Obvious Shakespeare as used to this engaged the audience so they could guess what happen next.

For example of dramatic irony within Act 2, Scene 6 Romeo express hes love for Juliet with these words.

Romeo" Then love-devouring death do what he dare,
    It is enough I may but call her mine".

The dramatic irony in this quote from Romeo is that their love for each other, does at the end kill them both.

Friar Lawrence answer Romeo with dramatic irony with words that Shakespeare chosen.

Friar Lawrence "These violent delights have violent ends".

The quote is suggest that with violent or disagreement between both houses that Romeo and Juliet' might of met but
    the Friar is for tell that it will end with acts of violence.

Shakespeare has used dramatic irony in very act and scene in structure his writing also to keep the audience engaged with play.

For example of dramatic irony within Act 4, Scene 1 " Or bid me go into new grave," Friar Lawrence saying to Juliet now end of play Juliet does take own life.

Sorry about grammar and spelling mistakes
    English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.

Copyright (C) 2011, Zoolane

I have pass by English Exam.

Quote Originally Posted by zoolane View Post
    In 'Romeo and Juliet', how does Shakespeare use violence and conflict to engage the audience?

'Romeo and Juliet' was written when Elizabeth I was on the throne, Shakespeare was her favorite playwright of that era. What has Elizabeth I liking him got to do with the question?

In 'Romeo and Juliet' Shakespeare used conflict accompanied? by violence that very stage ? within the play. Shakespeare uses language in different ways to draw in the audience and create a something atmosphere at the beginning of the play and the conflict which no doubly follow ? on with violence between the main houses which hint in

Thecharacters are an important element of the play, Shakespeare display it through out the play that very character has role to show to audience which engaged them by curious mind to see now character develops ?. Shakespeare also make sure very line and character are link in one way or either to other character or to scene in the play. Shakespeare loves used ? misunderstanding in 'Romeo and Juliet' which were audience know what all characters have done.

The structure of 'Romeo and Juliet' is extremely clever and cunning Not sure I agree with that assertion way which audience do not alway see come. Shakespeare used the theme of conflict within to high rank families in the Provence of Verona in Italy in Elizabethan era. Immediately get audience think of conflict between the two families, which hint in Prologue. In Act 1 Scene 1 the conflict spill out between very lowest ranks of families. The violence introduce by bottom ranks of houses in the play but which already hint in Prologue.

For example of conflict, a quote from Prologue." Two households, both alike in dignity,
    In fair Verona, where lay our scene,
    From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
    Where civil blood makes civil unclean hands".

For example of violence in Scene 1 Act 1, a quote. Sampson "Yes, better,sir."
    Abraham "You lie".
    Sampson "Draw, if you be men. Gregory, remember thy swashing
    blow".
    They fight.

To a opposite to conflict and violence in most of acts, Shakespeare has actual change structure of one which Act 2 Scene 6. Shakespeare used dramatic irony lots within 'Romeo and Juliet' were audience heard words said by characters and three characters are Juliet, Romeo and Friar Lawrence. Shakespeare structure this scene has gentle, idly, with words of love spoken. The words have been put together to gave audience understanding now dramatic irony is used within out characters knowing what they saying, Obvious Shakespeare as used to this engaged the audience so they could guess what happen next.

For example of dramatic irony within Act 2, Scene 6 Romeo express hes love for Juliet with these words.

Romeo" Then love-devouring death do what he dare,
    It is enough I may but call her mine".

The dramatic irony in this quote from Romeo is that their love for each other, does at the end kill them both.

Friar Lawrence answer Romeo with dramatic irony with words that Shakespeare chosen.

Friar Lawrence "These violent delights have violent ends".

The quote is suggest that with violent or disagreement between both houses that Romeo and Juliet' might of met but
    the Friar is for tell that it will end with acts of violence.

Shakespeare has used dramatic irony in very act and scene in structure his writing also to keep the audience engaged with play.

For example of dramatic irony within Act 4, Scene 1 " Or bid me go into new grave," Friar Lawrence saying to Juliet now end of play Juliet does take own life.

Sorry about grammar and spelling mistakes

I gave up with the grammar. Is English your second language? If not, you really need to work on your grammar because I can't understand most of your essay.

Not being an expert on Shakespeare, nor having had to write an essay on any of his plays for more than 40 years fortunately, I'm wondering why you include so much about 'dramatic irony' in an essay on violence and conflict.

Although both die at the end (and the audience can maybe deduce this much earlier in the play) you haven't really shown how the use of dramatic irony ties in to Shakespeare's use of conflict. Perhaps you need to explore this in a little more depth, if it is relevant to the essay, or concentrate more on the fights between the servants, the scene where Juliet's nurse is insulted, and the duel between Mercutio and Tybalt.

For example - one of the most famous lines from the play 'A plague on both your houses' - what's that about?

'Romeo and Juliet' is a love story (something his regular audiences were well-acquainted with) - but the conflicts that appear throughout this play raise it to another level.

Normally writing an essay about a specific topic is a case of 'doing exactly what it says on the tin' - if you digress you could well lose marks.

Also, I'm not exactly sure that the first two sentences are relevant unless you are going to refer later in this essay to Elizabethan society.

H

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    I gave up with the grammar. Is English your second language? If not, you really need to work on your grammar because I can't understand most of your essay.
    Maybe I should have as my signature : English 1ST language but have characterize of dyslexia.

Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    Not being an expert on Shakespeare, nor having had to write an essay on any of his plays for more than 40 years fortunately, I'm wondering why you include so much about 'dramatic irony' in an essay on violence and conflict.

Although both die at the end (and the audience can maybe deduce this much earlier in the play) you haven't really shown how the use of dramatic irony ties in to Shakespeare's use of conflict. Perhaps you need to explore this in a little more depth, if it is relevant to the essay, or concentrate more on the fights between the servants, the scene where Juliet's nurse is insulted, and the duel between Mercutio and Tybalt.

For example - one of the most famous lines from the play 'A plague on both your houses' - what's that about?

'Romeo and Juliet' is a love story (something his regular audiences were well-acquainted with) - but the conflicts that appear throughout this play raise it to another level.

Normally writing an essay about a specific topic is a case of 'doing exactly what it says on the tin' - if you digress you could well lose marks.

Also, I'm not exactly sure that the first two sentences are relevant unless you are going to refer later in this essay to Elizabethan society.

H
    Thank you for comment H, I think just save it, wait for Monday to get support from a teacher at college. I hope the dyslexia lesson will happened this week to.

It's not purely the dyslexia that's the problem. The first line of the essay is completely irrelevant to the question.

You could say that dramatic irony is a conflict but you need to find a good example of where it is used effectively.

Basically, make sure everything in your essay is a point about violence or a point about conflict. Points that are not about either of those are irrelevant.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for comment I understand play,plot,structure,language but not sure about stagecraft. I can talking about most of points and examples which should be in the essay but my problem is as alway put on to paper and with what words which do I used to convey to reader.

Well, if you put up some of your essay points in bullet points, we could help in that way. Everybody has problems sometimes with trying to convey their ideas to a reader.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Zoo,

I agree with Kelby's comment that the examples you provide in your essay should directly related to the topic you are discussing; ie, violence and conflict in this case.

It might be a good starting point if you made a list of such scenes and then proceed. Also, I find it always useful to start with a plan to determine how and what to discuss in my essays.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Thank you for hints but I think wait until college my confidence with this is very low and I have to discuss these three scenes 1ACT 1scene, Act five scene 3 and end scene. I can had scenes for contrast. I did tried just got really confused with all.
    Last edited by zoolane; 12-04-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post

H

The quote from death scene were Mercutio "A plague on both your houses''

Mercutio in kinmen to Prince and friend with Romeo, he has no direct part in the ancient fued between Montguages or Capulets but because hes friend with Romeo it causes he death is result this conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by zoolane View Post
    The quote from death scene were Mercutio "A plague on both your houses''

Mercutio in kinmen to Prince and friend with Romeo, he has no direct part in the ancient fued between Montguages or Capulets but because hes friend with Romeo it causes he death is result this conflict.
    So Shakespeare uses the death of Mercutio to show how conflict can lead to tragedy and drag in those who wanted to stay out of it. Good point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    So Shakespeare uses the death of Mercutio to show how conflict can lead to tragedy and drag in those who wanted to stay out of it. Good point.
    Thank You Kelby

I have been to college got some help today with essay and the teacher approval this what I come up with so far. I going try and put more input when it come to writing about language and characters that Shakespeare use in the paragraphs.

In ’Romeo and Juliet’, how does Shakespeare use violence and conflict to engage the audience?

‘Romeo and Juliet’ is a play it was written by William Shakespeare. The conflict within this play is a feud between two high respects ranking families. Shakespeare use language, structure, stagecraft and characters to engage the audience.

Shakespeare used stagecraft to engage the audience in the theme of conflict and violence. Shakespeare tells the audience in the play that servants have swords. Shakespeare provides the stage direction. He writes.

“Verona, A public place.
    “Enter Sampson and Gregory, of the house of Capulet armed with swords and bucklers”.

Shakespeare suggests the way the play should be carried out on the stage by the actors perform ‘Romeo and Juliet’ to engaged the audience throughout the play.

“Verona. A churchyard, in it monument of the Capulets Enter Paris with his Page, who bears flowers and torch”.

Shakespeare has structure ’Romeo and Juliet” with conflict and violence to engage the audience. Shakespeare tells audience of the theme in the Prologue. Shakespeare used this wet the audience appetite into found out how the play unfolds and the characters develop in the play. He writes.

“From ancient grudge break new mutiny,” “Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.”

Shakespeare has done this to intrigue the audience in to see what happen next with all events take place within the play.
    Shakespeare has carry on with theme of conflict and violence throughout the play with events from prologue with acts of conflicting of words and acts of violence. He writes.

Tybalt ”Mercutio, thou consort’st with Romeo”.
    Mercutio “’Consort? What dost thou make us minsters?” of us, look to hear nothing but discords. Here’s my fiddlestick, here’s that shall make you dance. Consort!”

Shakespeare engaged the audience with above act of violence from Mercutio which refer back to Prologue. To show that conflict has taken place due to conflicting attitude of two characters.
    Last edited by zoolane; 12-07-2010 at 11:34 AM.