Thread: Characters contrast between Tybalt, Mercutio and Romeo

Blog Entries

Question Characters contrast between Tybalt, Mercutio and Romeo

Shakespeare introduces characters to engage the audience to help the audience better understand about theme of conflict and violence in ‘Romeo and Juliet’. In Act 1 Scene 5. He writes.

Tybalt “This, by his voice, should be a Mountague.” Fetch me my rapier, boy. [Exit page.] What dares the slave Come hither, covered with an antic face, To fleet and scorn at our solemnity? Now, by the stock and honour of my kin,To strike him dead I hold it not sin.

Shakespeare has made this character of Tybalt is show to be arrogant, trouble maker, even the first Act and first scene, he get involve with servants then trying to provoke other character. He seems to want cause havoc in form of conflict and violence in very part plays this character in. The above quote is from a party at Capulets house, and Romeo and his friends were not invited to the party. Tybalt is seek act of revenge against Romeo, even said that he will kill Romeo to restore honour for uncle but I think just want killed Romeo for having the audacity to come to party in the first place.

Shakespeare as well as writing the characters to the theme of conflict and violence. Shakespeare introduces a light heart character to engage the audience, to show that the play as a sense humour as the conflict and violence engage the audience. The character is Mercutio is a jest of the group of friends. Act 2 Scene 1.He writes.

Mercutio ”If love be blind, love cannot hit the mark.” Now will he sit under a medlar tree, And will he sit his mistress were that kind of fruit As maids call medlars when they laugh alone. O Romeo, that she were, O that she were An open-arse and thou a properin pear! Romeo, goodnight. I’ll to my truckle-bed; To his field-bed is too cold for me to sleep. Come, shall we go?

Shakespeare I think had great fun when writing for Mercutio character in the play because in above quote Mercutio mocking Romeo crush for other woman, and is suggest that her or maids sit under tree maybe point at Romeo and laugh at him. Also Mercutio is having fun with Romeo know that he will never be able lost virgin to her so he might as well slept in field. Shakespeare give Mercutio certain amount of wit in he’s speeches. In Act 3 Scene 1. Mercutio is having fight with Tybalt, Mercutio said you’re a cat. He writes.

Mercutio “Good king of cats, nothing but one of your nines lives:”

Shakespeare this to engage the audience with a quick wit and humour character is always need in a play but give some light heart relief to the play and with language used. Mercutio also said to Tybalt “fiddlestick” which refer to Mercutio sword which he’s said “make you dance” suggest that movement of Mercutio sword will the effect on Tybalt, so he will be dance about on his toes. Shakespeare has also made Mercutio being involved with the theme of conflict and violence with wit and acts himself get tangle with conflict with Tybalt because his is Romeo friend in Act 1 Scene 3.

In contrast Shakespeare has writing the character Romeo still with theme of conflict and violence to engage audeince but audience interpretation of Romeo will be total refresher character with two sides of personality. Act 1 Scene 5. He writes.

Romeo “ O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright:” It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night As rich jewel in an Ethiop’s ear- Beauty to rich for use, for earth too dear! So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows, As yonder lady o’er her follows shows. The measure done, I’ll watch her place of stand, And, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand. Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight, For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night”.

In this quote of Romeo describe now he see Juliet and admired her from distance, but he fall instantly in love with her. This show audience the soft, gentle, love nature of Romeo personality, and with the words that Shakespeare as refined the to audience that love is in air.

Shakespeare gives Romeo a other side of him to sure that it keep the the audience engage and wondered what is Romeo is going to do next act will be conflict and violence or he soft side. Act 3 Scene 1. He writes.

Romeo “ He lives in triumph, and Mercutio slain?” Away to heaven, respective lenity, And fire-eyed fury be my conduct now! Now, Tybalt, take the ‘villain’ back again That late thou gavest me, for Mercutio’s soul Is but a little way above our heads, Staying for thine to keep him company.Either thou or I, or both, must go with him.”

Shakespeare has showing Romeo dark side to still carry on the theme of conflict and violence to give the audience other thing to think about the direction of this character. Romeo has just witness he’s friend being murder by Tybalt, and Romeo impulse nature come out. Romeo seem act out before he think things through property so Shakespeare’s Romeo has good intentions but will not be taken for fool and will stand up for what he believe him is right.
    Last edited by zoolane; 12-09-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.

Copyright (C) 2011, Zoolane

I have pass by English Exam.

Blog Entries
    Next is Language tomorrow make start I am going sleep and just see word Shakespeare.

Much clearer in regards to the content, although you use informal language a lot: 'joker', 'hot temper', 'heart of gold.' Essays are formal pieces of writing- they are different from how you would normally speak.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    Much clearer in regards to the content, although you use informal language a lot: 'joker', 'hot temper', 'heart of gold.' Essays are formal pieces of writing- they are different from how you would normally speak.
    Thank you for comment I edited the words that you suggest.

Blog Entries
    Shakespeare used language to engage the audience in theme of conflict and violence in ‘Romeo and Juliet’.Shakespeare also used opposite language in speech for certain part of play to show that is more to the ‘Romeo and Juliet’ then conflict and violence so audience gets to see the more tender side of Shakespeare writing.
    Shakespeare used different types of language to engage audience in ‘Romeo and Juliet’ in last scenes, the language become more subtle, more romance from Romeo now declare he’s love in only way left to him in the words. Shakespeare has developed the theme of conflict and violence all way to end of play. Romeo dark side come out in vault with Paris. Act 5 Scene 3 He writes

Romeo ‘Wilt provoke me? Then have at thee, boy”

Romeo has just start that wife ‘Juliet’ had suppose died, he the Capulet vault and see Paris. Paris informed him that he was supposing marry Juliet. Romeo impulsive, jealous side come out and killed Paris.
    Romeo feel remorse went in vault with Juliet, Romeo language, tone changing to desperate and love for he wife who supposing took her own life. Act 5 Scene 3. He writes.

Romeo” Death, that hath suck’d the honey of thy breath” Hath had no power yet upon thy beauty’ ensign yet Is crimson in thy lips and in thy cheeks, And death’s pale flag is not advance there.”

Shakespeare has Romeo display language that compare her breath to honey so Juliet had breath sweet as honey, her beauty is no more but when she was alive Romeo compare to a flag that should fly. Romeo notice that Juliet’s face still have colour to them ‘crimson in thy lips and in thy cheeks’ but still does not know that she only in deep sleep, and in last line he as realised that death is not at take yet. Romeo refer to poison ‘sea-sick weary bark’ suggest if shallow the poison that it will wash away guilt, remorse, love for Juliet.

Shakespeare had engage the audience all the way through the play in the theme of conflict and violence but the end is tragic misunderstands mainly on ‘Romeo and Juliet’ but Friar Lawrence is not total blame for understandings. Act 5 Scene 3 He writes.

Juliet “What’s here? A cup, closed in my true love’s hand?” Poison, I see, hath been this timeless end: O churl! drunk all, and left no friendly drop To help me after? I will kiss thy lips; Haply some poison yet doth hang on them, To make die with restorative.”

Shakespeare’s Juliet uses language more practical to engage the audience maybe women because most women now and Shakespeare time are more practical than men. In above quote Juliet has notice cup near Romeo, try to find way join Romeo in death but he’s left ‘no friendly drop’, she kisses him but no avail and she also notice that he’s lips warm. Act 5 Scene 3. He writes.

Juliet “Yea, noise? Then I’ll be brief. O happy dagger!” snatching Romeo’s dagger “This is thy sheath;” stab herself “there rust, and let me die.”

Shakespeare has used this language to engage the audience with Juliet character because she love Romeo but her language show that she see things more clearer than Romeo did. Juliet only practical solution is to commit suicide to join him

I think Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet’ is great piece of language from the time, I find Shakespeare used of words that obvious have different meaning of today modern language very interesting and the way in spoke. I had to do research on meaning of words or of phrases so I could understand ‘Romeo and Juliet’. Shakespeare used of language between characters were conflict and violence in the play but it is all about way I interpretation of the ‘Romeo and Juliet’. Other interest bit is ending deaths of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ again Shakespeare change way the language to convey to audience which is love, lost, taken of life’s and parents grief. Personally I thought ‘Romeo and Juliet’ was just about pairs of teenagers that were forbidden to see each and chosen dies together but much more in about relationships of lovers, friendships that lead to death, and just survivor your parents feud.

Social issues in throw up are law breaking, disorder, fray, defiant the law of land the behaviour of servants, Tybalt . Mercutio and Romeo it would been called anti-social behaviour if it writing today in modern language.

Please any feedback would be appreicate and does it tied into with character part. Is 5 pages to long for essay? if answer yes any ideas what bit be able cut out?
    Last edited by zoolane; 12-09-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Hi zoo,

You have been busy - sorry to get to this so late..... (too late to be of much use presumably)

Kelby makes a very valid point about the language you use in your essay - I spotted a few more examples in the first part that you might care to change :

gate-crashed the party > attended a party to which they were not invited

having the guts > having the nerve (or audacity)

Take the mickey > mock

Using slang expressions suggests that you have not taken the subject seriously enough (even though it's not true in your case).

You might also want to add that Shakespeare uses Mercutio's behaviour to defuse the tension in the play - playing with the audience's expectations as well, because most will suspect the play will end in tragedy depite having a little light relief.

Finally - you use the term 'engage with the audience' a lot in both parts of the essay. You might want to change it here and there for a different expression : gain the audience's sympathy, hold their attention, keep them absorbed or connect with the audience (depending on the context).

It's a case of making your essay interesting for the teacher to read as much as to show how much you have understood of the play.

Good luck

H

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    Hi zoo,

You have been busy - sorry to get to this so late..... (too late to be of much use presumably)

Kelby makes a very valid point about the language you use in your essay - I spotted a few more examples in the first part that you might care to change :

gate-crashed the party > attended a party to which they were not invited

having the guts > having the nerve (or audacity)

Take the mickey > mock

Using slang expressions suggests that you have not taken the subject seriously enough (even though it's not true in your case).

You might also want to add that Shakespeare uses Mercutio's behaviour to defuse the tension in the play - playing with the audience's expectations as well, because most will suspect the play will end in tragedy depite having a little light relief.

Finally - you use the term 'engage with the audience' a lot in both parts of the essay. You might want to change it here and there for a different expression : gain the audience's sympathy, hold their attention, keep them absorbed or connect with the audience (depending on the context).

It's a case of making your essay interesting for the teacher to read as much as to show how much you have understood of the play.

Good luck

H
    Thank you fro your comments and hints all change the essay question was:In ’Romeo and Juliet’, how does Shakespeare use violence and conflict to engage the audience?

The audeince engage is how I was told answer with used that essay question and engage audience much as possible. I hope I done enough and quaility is good.
    Last edited by zoolane; 12-09-2010 at 12:29 PM.

You have worked hard and this is a great improvement on your first draft.

Best of luck :-)

H

Blog Entries

Conclusion.

I think Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet’ is great piece of language from its the time, I find Shakespeare used of words that obvious have different meaning of today modern language very interesting and the way in spoke. I had to do research on meaning of words or of phrases so I could better understand ‘Romeo and Juliet’. Shakespeare used of language between characters were conflict and violence in the play but it is all about way I have interpretation of the ‘Romeo and Juliet’. Other interest bit is ending deaths of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ again Shakespeare change way the language to convey to audience which is love, lost, taken of lives and parents grief. Personally I thought ‘Romeo and Juliet’ was just about pairs of teenagers that were forbidden to see each and chosen dies together but much more in about their relationship and try find way be together. Without anyone know special their parent

Friendships that lead to person death by associate to specify family which really shouldn’t of need to happened but character Mercutio’s lanague that he used against Tybalt just make fun of him. In today society in would be called gang warfare but another aspect Tybalt would be label as bully because of him start argue or fight were ever he goes. Shakespeare‘s plays and language could be way of make audience take more notice of their actions, surrounding or people.
    Last edited by zoolane; 12-09-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Gang warfare is very close to how the situation was - family feuds with characters taking sides with one 'house' (family) or another and fighting in the streets to preserve the honour of the family name. Of course, it took the deaths of R + J to bring the two feuding families together at the end.

Shakespeare changes from humour to conflict to build up the tension - to create drama (which was not something most audiences were exposed to during those times) - and also alters the language to show how his characters develop (like Romeo for example - his lines get more complex during the play to show him maturing from a youth to a young man).

As for Shakespeare's language in general - it's difficult for anyone in the 21st century to understand something written over 400 years ago, so you're not alone.

H