Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you like libraries?

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Are we having a Love Libraries campaign?

I love libraries espically public ones ( hey a librarian) not too keen on academic really as I atmosphere in them too stressed ( but that might be only the other side of the counter).

I actually like the community centre feel of public libraries, you get a nice eccletic collection of people and books and even though not everything that happens in the library is directly book related ( we had a concert once, as well as weekly yoga, pilates and bridge playing sessions) you can usually get people talking about books or people who are normaly not intrested in reading to pick up a book.

Where else can you have a conversation with a random stranger about the current trends in popular books (" NOT a NOTHER vampire romance!, They were good when the y first started but enough is enough". Or gush about the latest greatest 'best ever ever ever ' kids' book . Or moan about the deminsishing interest in the classics, or the significance and symbolisim of farm machines in Tractor's in the Ukraine.

( all of which are conversations I sued to have on a semi daily basis)
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

The black and white building was Timothy White's in my day, Paul....no, the library was the other side of Holy Trinity - a cobbled walkway led past it down to the Cathedral.

They put the Library in the Locarno? That was a swinging place of a Saturday night (so I understand - I wasn't allowed to go...) - can't be giving off good vibes for a place of peace and quiet like a Library!

Blog Entries
    A man in Toronto was shot in the back with a crossbow at a library on Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...ossbow548.html

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I love libraries; take part in their activities as well as borrowing books on regular basis.

Paul, you are so lucky to have one built so nearby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    Then they became more like community centres with squawking kids in buggies, people chattering and Gay Pride posters and other non-literary material dotted about. That was when I stopped using them and decided to buy books instead;
    Maybe if you let them know the days you will be paying a visit, they might consider closing their branch to the general public so that you can peruse the book in peace.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    A man in Toronto was shot in the back with a crossbow at a library on Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...ossbow548.html

Holy Crap. No wonder why Brian doesn't go to libraries anymore!

I like libraries, ever since my anti owning book conversion the libraries have been a great resource. I've even started going to the library to do work work, less distractions then at home.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    IMaybe if you let them know the days you will be paying a visit, they might consider closing their branch to the general public so that you can peruse the book in peace.
    Libraries are collections of books and, guess what, people read books in libraries. Why should anyone have to be a university student to obtain the necessary quiet to facilitate reading? I have nothing against computers being installed in libraries because their files are in effect electronic documents.
    I've seen young people trying to study for examinations having to put up with children running around while the mother stands chattering to someone else. It should not be allowed in a library.
    If people want to practice other activities, they should be doing so at an appropriate location. A place for everything and everything in its place is a pretty good maxim for a civilized way of living.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    Libraries are collections of books and, guess what, people read books in libraries. Why should anyone have to be a university student to obtain the necessary quiet to facilitate reading? I have nothing against computers being installed in libraries because their files are in effect electronic documents.
    I've seen young people trying to study for examinations having to put up with children running around while the mother stands chattering to someone else. It should not be allowed in a library.
    If people want to practice other activities, they should be doing so at an appropriate location. A place for everything and everything in its place is a pretty good maxim for a civilized way of living.
    There are special rooms/sections in the libraries for those who long for absolute silence.

Otherwise, those mothers and their children are part of communities as much as the student who are hoping to study. I am very glad that libraries are not seen to be quiet places devoit of human interaction, managed by grump old librarians.
    ~
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. The Third View Post
    I really don't know if it would be a good or bad thing if a library was built a stone's throw from my house.
    Well, you'd know for sure it's not going to attract the wrong element!

I wish someone would build one closer to our place. Walking to a library is a luxury I'd love to have.

Nice one, Paul!
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    There are special rooms/sections in the libraries for those who long for absolute silence.

Otherwise, those mothers and their children are part of communities as much as the student who are hoping to study. I am very glad that libraries are not seen to be quiet places devoit of human interaction, managed by grump old librarians.
    Yes, but isn’t it ironic that under today’s library etiquette, the grumps who were weaned on the concept that the general stack spaces and adjacent reading areas should be a quiet place, are the ones who must make the effort to seek out an empty “study room”.

In the meantime the rug rats run between book stacks, knocking the copy of Freud out of your hands, while in search of the kernel reward at the end of the maze.
    Chatty Cathy’s, droll on about Johnny’s last second goal catching the corner of the net, while sipping on mango frappachino smoothies.
    The tween Goths snarling and texting each other periodically stopping the incessant clicking only to yell out; “DYGMLT?’ (“did you get my last text?”)

NO MORE! The grumps should not be the ones fighting over the sparse “study (quiet) rooms”. The Goths, rug rats and Chatty Cathy’s must be the ones who are relegated to these quiet cells!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Do you like libraries? We're having one built - we being the community not the we - my family - about 70 metres from my house...
    ...Can't wait for it to open. I will still use the one in town though. It's also very handy.

Paul that is wonderful to have it so close. It is too late now, but hopefully the design will incorporate enough "study rooms" so you may find peace in your life. Maybe, if you are lucky, the folks in your neck of the woods are a bit more grumpy.

Gilliatt
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    Yes, but isn’t it ironic that under today’s library etiquette, the grumps who were weaned on the concept that the general stack spaces and adjacent reading areas should be a quiet place, are the ones who must make the effort to seek out an empty “study room”.

In the meantime the rug rats run between book stacks, knocking the copy of Freud out of your hands, while in search of the kernel reward at the end of the maze.
    Chatty Cathy’s, droll on about Johnny’s last second goal catching the corner of the net, while sipping on mango frappachino smoothies.
    The tween Goths snarling and texting each other periodically stopping the incessant clicking only to yell out; “DYGMLT?’ (“did you get my last text?”)

NO MORE! The grumps should not be the ones fighting over the sparse “study (quiet) rooms”. The Goths, rug rats and Chatty Cathy’s must be the ones who are relegated to these quiet cells!

Seriosly, What kind of library are you guys going too? I don't recognize any of these things.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    On second thought, I think you are right, Gilliatt!

Obviously, teens, toddlers and casual readers cannot appreciate books as they should be so libraries should even stop storing books for them; people should not be offered memberships to libraries unless they are BA/BSc holders (at least) and, even then, their presence in the library'd better be aimed towards a worthy search of some sort!

And what's up with libraries offering Literacy and ESOL classes??? Why is precious library funding wasted on those who have not bothered to learn English properly so far???
    ~
    ~

On second thought, I think you are right, Gilliatt!

Obviously, teens, toddlers and casual readers cannot appreciate books as they should be so libraries should even stop storing books for them; people should not be offered memberships to libraries unless they are BA/BSc holders (at least) and, even then, their presence in the library'd better be aimed towards a worthy search of some sort!

And what's up with libraries offering Literacy and ESOL classes??? Why is precious library funding wasted on those who have not bothered to learn English properly so far???
    This is a non argument, it's a matter of common sense and respect for others; both of which have been in short supply for some time. If somebody wants to learn a foreign language, for example, they will go to a language school. They might go to the library to read up on the subject but obviously they can do that better without the distraction of people causing an unnecessary disturbance. That's how it used to be and it worked, I don't recall people complaining that there were no other facilities and if they did want them they could go to a community centre.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kasie View Post
    The black and white building was Timothy White's in my day, Paul....no, the library was the other side of Holy Trinity - a cobbled walkway led past it down to the Cathedral.

They put the Library in the Locarno? That was a swinging place of a Saturday night (so I understand - I wasn't allowed to go...) - can't be giving off good vibes for a place of peace and quiet like a Library!
    We walked past it yesterday Kasie, and my wife - who is a Coventry kid agrees. I was just surmising. The old library was knocked down and replaced with a shopping centre with some flats.

[IMG][/IMG]

My wife reckons the door to the old library was where that sign is on the side of the building. The cobbles are still there.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a picture a little to the left of the cobbled street of Holy Trinity Church.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Thumbs up

Yep... I spend a lot of time at Eskilstuna City Library: Here is a shot of the interior (part of it):

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Wowza, is that a public library Claes, it looks a fair size?

Is that chap asleep upper middle? Probably reading Samuel Richardson.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast