Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much money or wealth do you need?

How much money or wealth do you need?

To sustain life and be happy we need money or welath. Had we been in the primitive age we did not need money as there was a barter system and you could get all else through a system of exchange one good for another. But today we live in a different epoch and money matters today more than anything else.

I always have an inkling without money life cannot be carried on whether you are a materialist or spiritualist.

I always think that I need a certain amount of money to feel secured yet the word certain is relative and there is no certain or sufficient. What we call certain or sufficeint at one point in life will be insufficient at another point in life.

I just want to discuss this with people here

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Enough that I don't feel like I might be out on the street if the slightest thing went wrong.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think you hit it with one of the words that you used in original post -- "secure" -- Personally, money enables me to feel secure. And so my "need" for money is driven by creating or extending that feeling of security.

So when I was younger and single, I needed far less money to feel secure because my responsibilities were far fewer than they are now. With a family and a personal sense of responsibility that extends further into the future than that of my younger days, I feel the need for money now than at any other time in my life.

. . . .
    We have these chipmunks that spend all spring and summer storing seeds for the winter. I feel sort of like that regarding money, only for me the "winter" = the "future" and I just don't know how long or how short that winter will be, so I try to scrimp and save, scrimp and save, scrimp and save as life-long habit.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Haha, Comedian, that's just what I try to do! To my husband's great dismay. He finds that I exaggerate. But then he would buy his chicken or tomatoes at double the price and spend 17 euro on a ticket to the nearest town every week. Then I just think, 'Hold on, we could have a nice cake and a coffee here with that, instead of sitting on a train after which you still have the cake and the coffee...'.

So yes, the squirrel trying to gather money. You never know! Hopefully we will all find the money back, though, unlike the squirrel who buries everywhere so it can find it everywhere because he has forgotten where he left it in the summer...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Executioner, protect me Kyriakos's Avatar
    Just as much as i need to live with dignity and be able to pay the bills.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    I think its a moving target, that constantly appears to be, forever just out of reach. As a young man money suffices enough to cover your beer and social life. Then you get married and with it comes the mortgage, the kids & you think that you will never get through that endless financial tunnel. If the breaks are good, you hang in there and make good money. But then you never really forget where you came from, and as said by others, its the security and peace of mind that assumes prominence with that money in the bank. Not the Mercedes in the drive!
    Last edited by MANICHAEAN; 12-01-2010 at 01:46 PM.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." ...
    Alas, poor old Karl Marx couldn't see that human nature would replace the last word with 'wants'.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    Alas, poor old Karl Marx couldn't see that human nature would replace the last word with 'wants'.
    Ha! Very nice.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Blog Entries
    "Give me neither poverty nor riches."

I'd written my own response, but then was accidentally logged out before posting it. This sums up my thoughts well though.

"Our incomes should be like our shoes; if too small, they will gall and pinch us, but if too large, they will cause us to stumble and to trip. But wealth, after all, is a relative thing, since he that has little, and wants less, is richer than he that has much, but wants more. True contentment depends not upon what we have; a tub was large enough for Diogenes, but a world was too little for Alexander." ~ Colton

Blog Entries
    My dad taught me not to save money, he doesn't trust the economy. He drilled it into my head that it's better to own things with actual worth, and that money (being a symbol of time spent working) is worthless on it's own if people stop believing in it. So, I put my money into things (mostly education and coal stock right now). When I get older I think I'll play with property. I'm good with money and I don't want kids, so I'm not too worried about it.

As far as we actually need to sustain a good quality of life in Canada, I can't remember the figure. It actually wasn't much though, I remember it being something like $20,000 with an additional $5,000 per child, maybe a bit more or less.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    My dad taught me not to save money, he doesn't trust the economy. He drilled it into my head that it's better to own things with actual worth, and that money (being a symbol of time spent working) is worthless on it's own if people stop believing in it. So, I put my money into things (mostly education and coal stock right now). When I get older I think I'll play with property. I'm good with money and I don't want kids, so I'm not too worried about it.
    I like that philosophy -- one that I can appreciate, though I don't think education and stock are things any more than money is. . . they're both ultimately symbolic and will fluctuate in value based on social or cultural or economic needs at a given time.

I remember in the mid '90s when one class in computer networking was solid gold for one's career. . . . now, not so much. I also remember when that WorldCom stock that I had was worth real money, but now, not so much. . .
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    Yup, I think you are right there, Brian. I always thought that communism sounded nice (I mean, imagine, you only do what you can and you'll get what you need as well as the neighbour who does more), but really, in the words of Blackadder, 'There [was] only a little flaw in the whole plan... Namely that it was bullocks.' Not really that strong, but it does go against human nature to have all the same, no matter what you do. That's why people invented money, isn't it?
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Or this one:

"Luxury only comforts the poor, and even then but for a brief season, while they are unused to it." (Alexander Pushkin, Dubrowski")

I remember learning in school that poverty negatively impacts mental health, but that once people break that barrier they report similar levels of happiness at each income level after that. That's over the long term. Of course if you hit the jackpot tomorrow you would be out of your mind, but a year or more down the road you would be just as happy as if you were earning a lower middle class wage.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've noticed, when I've had this conversation before with others, that generally the people who say that money is unimportant are the ones who have come from relatively priveledged backgrounds - I presume that holds true in general?

I'm not overly concerned with money - being a lecturer hardly pays well. But I don't feel I need it. However, I was raised in a financially comfortable household - though my parents taught me to be careful with money, I have never experienced poverty. So long as I have enough to live on, and can afford the occasional treat, I shall be happy. For me, money is a means to an end - but there are plenty of people I know for whom the aquisition of money is the end in and of itself.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast