Thread: Shakespeare Essay.

Blog Entries

Question Shakespeare Essay.

Please give honest feedback on 1st part of my rough essay. Thank you.
    P is for point E is for evidence and E is for explain. yes or No?

How does Shakespeare use Conflict and Violence in Act 3, scene 1 of 'Romeo and Juliet'.

Shakespeare has setting the play in Verona in Italy. Italy is a passion, moral and religion country.
    In the prologue Shakespeare describe the background of play be explain two families, the 'Capulet's and Mountagues' and having own very public feuding for years maybe even decades.

''Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona ,''
    where we lay our scene , From ancient grudge break
    to new mutiny.

First sign of violence is between to servants in a very public place. The town centre when stalls out, people buy and selling items. The servants of Capulet household seem to looking for trouble in invoking the Mountague's servants. Capulet's servants Gregory and Sampson make suggest to Montague's servants Abraham and Balthasar.

Sampson '' Nay,as they dare. I will bite my thumb at ''
    them; which disgrace to them, if they bear it.

Enter Abraham and Balthasar.

Abraham '' Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?''

Sampson '' I do bite my thumb sir.''

Abraham ''Do you bite your thumb at us sir?''

Sampson '' [Aside to Gregory] Is the law of our side,''
    if I say ay?

Exchange of words between to servants for two feuding houses carry on until. It reach boil point when the servants started bawl and enter Benvolio. Benvolio is peacemaker is friend and nephew of head of Mountague household.

Benvolio '' Part, fools! Put up your sword; you know not what you do''

All servants put down their swords but then enter a troublemaker of Capulet household is Tybalt. Tybalt
    is a self righteous character, aggro range, always look for fight and as not need a excuse to crash with Montague's household.

Tybalt '' What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?''
    Turn thee, Benvolio, look upon thy death.

Benvolio ''I do but keep peace; put up thy sword, or manage it to''
    part these men with me.

Tybalt '' What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I ''
    hate hell, all Montagues, and thee: Have at thee,
    coward!

There fight between Tybalt and Benvolio, which in turn break out into small riot with severval more people each household get involve. The citizens also take they sides and try bring down both houses. Some citizens try make they way home.
    Last edited by zoolane; 11-06-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.

Copyright (C) 2011, Zoolane

I have pass by English Exam.

Blog Entries

2nd part

An Officer of the law which up hold the Prince laws.

First Citizen ''Clubs, bills, and partisans! strike! beat them down! Down''
    with the Capulet's! down with the Montague's!

The heads both household come on to scene. The first person to aggravate the now quite situation is Capulet and wife. Enter
    the Old Montague as he refer to in Shakespeare's play with hes wife.

Capulet ''What noise is this? Give me my long sword, ho!''

Capulet's wife ''A crutch, a crutch! Why call you for a sword?

Enter the Mountagues.

Capulet '' My sword, I say! Old Mountague is come, And''
    flourishes his blade in spite in me.

Mountague ''Thou villain Capulet!- Hold me not, let me''
    go.

Mountague wife '' Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek foe''.

Shakespeare has chosen hes words wisely to convey such hate between to families and now deep in run through both
    household from the servants to heads. Conflict always seem started by Capulets. It suggest that they are more spiteful
    in their nature and high might state for example they must see to do one better than Mountages. Now Mountagues
    come across as more humble and more quite in there manner of do things. Maybe the less well do out of both families.

Prince arrival at the crowd. If he is called yet again to dispute of this on going feud.

Prince ''Rebellious subjects, enemies for peace, Profaners of this''
    neighbours-strained steel- Will they not hear?-What ho! You
    men,you beasts, That quench the fire of your pernicious rage
    With purple fountains issuing from veins: On pain of torture,
    from those bloody hands.

The Prince is all most plead with of the families but same time called males animals.
    Purple fountains said that rage in bedded in they blood and well results in bloodshed. From either of two families.

Prince is said how disappoint he is. He being in same position time and time. He has had enough of it.

Prince'' Three civil brawls, bred of an airy word, By thee, old Capulet''
    and Mountagues, Have thrice disturbed the quiet of our streets.

Prince actual threat both houses with death. If he has come to sort the mistempered houses.

Prince ''If you disturb our street again, Your lives shall pay''
    the forfeit of the peace.

From my limited memories of writing criticism I couldn't really confirm what P E and E stand for - although I might have expected P to refer to Plot rather than Point. Perhaps your tutor could advise before you have to hand it in.

However, based on what you have produced so far I would suggest you reduce the number of quotations you have taken from the play and use your own words to elaborate on a few, well-chosen examples of how he suggested conflict.

If you put in too many quotes you are in danger of confusing the issue. It is probably down to confidence - it's more important you show you understand what he was trying to say than that you include every single example of what he said to support your theory.

For instancee, in this example :

Sampson '' Nay,as they dare. I will bite my thumb at ''

Abraham '' Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?''

Sampson '' I do bite my thumb sir.''

Abraham ''Do you bite your thumb at us sir?''

Sampson '' [Aside to Gregory] Is the law of our side,''
    if I say ay?
    the only words of Shakespeare's you need to quote are :

I will bite my thumb at ''

and then to support the theory that he was suggesting conflict explain in simple terms what he meant by it (at the time he was writing 'biting ones thumb' was an insulting gesture).

H

Blog Entries
    It's good advice Zoolane, and i should heed that wise hillwalker's advice, you don't get the marks for quotations you get the marks for demonstrating that you have understood the question in your own words, sometimes you need to read the passage closely and repeatedly until you are sure you can do that. It can be a chore, but it bloody works, and believe me as someone who took exams for something like fourteen consequetive years at colleges and university, there's nothing like knowing the text so well that it's like an old friend when you start to answer a questiion.
    What are regrets? Just lessons we haven't learned yet - Beth Orton

Blog Entries
    Thank you both for advice, quotes I try to cut down but I think it mention that if you use quotes alway try pin point the maqin part which I have trouble with.

The quotes mark are necessary for the essay and I could reading the play 100 times and still won't full understand it.
    Last edited by zoolane; 11-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    How does Shakespeare use Conflict and Violence in Act 1, scene 1 of 'Romeo and Juliet'.

Shakespeare has setting the play in Verona in Italy. Italy is a passion, moral and religion country. In the prologue Shakespeare describe the background of play be explain two families, the Capulets and Mountagues.

''Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona ,''
    where we lay our scene , From ancient grudge break
    to new mutiny.

From this quote I can tell that both families are quite high in town statue, the ancient grudge mean disagreement which last for years or maybe decades. The term of new mutiny mean a action or someone has add there bit just made matter worse.

First sign of violence is between to servants in a very public place. The town centre when stall out, people buy and selling items. The clothes that the character are wear in this scene said that quite low on social scale of the household. The servants of Capulet household seem to looking for trouble in invoking the Montagues servants.

Sampson ''Nay,as they dare. I will bite my thumb at
    them; which disgrace to them, if they bear it''.

Abraham ''Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?''

Sampson "I do bite my thumb sir.''

The bite of thumb is insult to Abraham and to house Mountague.

Exchange of words between to servants for two feuding houses carry on until. It reach boil point when the servants start bawl and enter Benvolio. You can tell this character is more importance to sonnet by hes dress.

Benvolio '' Part, fools! Put up your sword; you know not what you do''.

Benvolio is peacemaker, is friend and nephew of head of Mountague household. Benvolio wish no part in hes uncles quarrel.

All servants put down their swords but then enter a troublemaker from Capulet household is Tybalt. Tybalt is the same Benvolio state in the prose.

Tybalt '' What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?''
    Turn thee, Benvolio, look upon thy death.

Benvolio ''I do but keep peace; put up thy sword, or manage it to''
    part these men with me.

Tybalt '' What, drawn, and talk of peace! i hate the word, As I''
    hate hell, all Montagues, and thee: Have at thee,
    coward!

Tybalt is opposite to Benvolio. Tybalt think he tough and better than the others around him. Tybalt is a self righteous character and always look for fight and as not need a excuse to clash with Mountagues household.

There fight between Tybalt and Benvolio, which in turn break out into small riot with severals more people each household get involved. The citizens also take they sides and try bring down both houses. Some citizens try make they way home.
    An Officer of the law which up hold the Prince laws.

The heads both household come on to scene. Now you can tell by more flamboyant clothes that these are very high up the social scale in sonnet.

Capulet ''What noise is this? Give me my long sword, ho!''

Capulet's wife ''A crutch, a crutch! Why call you for a sword?

Enter the Mountagues.

Capulet '' My sword, I say! Old Mountague is come, And''
    flourishes his blade in spite in me.

Mountague ''Thou villian Capulet!- Hold me not, let me go''.

Mountague wife '' Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek foe''.

The first person to aggravate the now quite situation is Capulet. Enter the Old Mountague as he refer to in Shakespeare's play with hes wife.

Prince arrival at the crowd. The Prince arrives on scene with horse and guards. He dress scream out that he lord of this town. If he is called yet again to dispute of this on going feud.

Prince ''Rebellious subjects, enemies for peace, Profaners of this''
    neighbours-strained steel- Will they not hear?-What ho! You
    men,you beasts, That quench the fire of your pernicious rage
    With purple fountains issuing from veins: On pain of torture,
    from those bloody hands.

The Prince is all most plead with of the families but same time called males animals.
    Purple fountains said that rage is in bedded in their souls and in their blood and well results in bloodshed. From either of two families.

He being in same position time and time. He has had enough of it.

Prince'' Three civil brawls, bred of an airy word, By thee, old Capulet''
    and Mountagues, Have thrice disturbed the quiet of our streets.

Prince ''If you disturb our street again, Your lives shall pay''
    the forfeit of the peace.

Prince actual threat both houses with death. If he has come to sort the mistempered houses again.

The violence of Act 1 give impression of it be secondly nature to the houses. In sonnet, Shakespeare uses of conflict language because it necessary to the characters development. The Capulets are mainly ones that show aggression to more sincerly Mountagues. The Mountagues are more gentle household that would maybe let bygones by bygone. Also the Mountagues will not be dictate or humiliate by the Capulets house. That is why the fueding has being going for so long.
    Last edited by zoolane; 11-07-2010 at 11:52 AM.

If you're struggling to understand the story because of the language Shakespeare uses (and most of us do) this web site gives a more contemporary version line by line. It might be of help.

http://wiki.theplaz.com/File:Romeo-gutenberg-t.pdf

Incidentally, I don't think you need to mention the plot in so much detail.

There fight between Tybalt and Benvolio, which in turn break out into small riot with severals more people each household get involved. The citizens also take they sides and try bring down both houses. Some citizens try make they way home.
    You need to show how you know that Shakespeare is giving subtle clues of the conflict in the play rather than describing in such detail what the conflict is about.

H

Blog Entries
    Most points make are what teacher outline to the class last week so in all fair it bit hit missed. but doing edit now so.

Quote Originally Posted by zoolane View Post

Benvolio is peacemaker, is friend and nephew of head of Mountague household. Benvolio wish no part in hes uncles quarrel.

In sonnet, the very first two pages it speak of now weak the house Mountagues is from the Capulet point view. Also the term that use with prose for example ''Thats shows thee weak slave,'' and ''The quarrel is between our masters, and us their men''. This hint that conflict will be
    carry through sonnet. With Shakespeare in poetry style suggest that all social classes are affect with this fueding, and by starting from the bottom of household.The citizens of the Verona have suffer that hands of these two respect houses and that show in market with chao they create.

Prince actual threat both houses with death. If he has come to sort the mistempered houses again.

The violence of Act 1 give impression of it be secondly nature to the houses. In sonnet, Shakespeare uses of conflict language because it necessary to the characters development. The Capulets are mainly ones that show aggression to more sincerly Mountagues. The Mountagues are more gentle household that would maybe let bygones by bygone. Also the Mountagues will not be dictate or humiliate by the Capulets house. That is why the fueding has being going for so long.
    Last edited by zoolane; 11-07-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Ok, remember it's a case of keeping the balance between your observations and quoting from the play to illustrate what your observations are based on. So a quote here and there will demonstrate you have read and understood this part of the play.

One point to consider maybe. You are asked to write about how Shakespeare uses conflict and violence rather than how he shows it. Does he use it to prepare the audience for the tragic plot that follows, to get us to choose sides, to empathise with the young lovers, to see how damaging and futile family feuds can be?
    Just a thought.....

H