Thread: Proles revolt

Question Proles revolt

I understand that the proles are un-educated and dont have the desire to revolt but, why dosent a person such as Winston who belives in history and not in big brother educate them? Since the prole district does not have telescreens and big brother does not have as much power there they could find an area where they can teach the "smarter" proles and give them reasons to revolt. Then with that they could convince all the proles to fight back or at least complain.

The proles don't revolt because they won't be able to obtain any of life's necessities if they don't obey big brother. There's no way that all of the proles would join together because their life under big brother is not that difficult, they know that if they obey, they will get rewarded. If Winston or anyone like him tried to gather up the proles for a rebellion, they would simply be taken out by higher authorities. There's no way that any one could plan a rebellion because they are under such strict supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
    I understand that the proles are un-educated and dont have the desire to revolt but, why dosent a person such as Winston who belives in history and not in big brother educate them? Since the prole district does not have telescreens and big brother does not have as much power there they could find an area where they can teach the "smarter" proles and give them reasons to revolt. Then with that they could convince all the proles to fight back or at least complain.
    If you've finished the book, you must be aware that Winston is watched far more than just by telescreen. He wouldn't be given the opportunity to organise the proles, and they themselves are watched sufficiently that if any sign of organisation was perceived, they'd be vaporised immediately.

Just not possible.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

luckystreak: If you really want an answer, I got an idea for you. Go to some builders in some downtown or to some workers from some factory and ask them :"Would you like me to teach you someting about for example philosophy or democracy standards?"

Try to ask, for example 10 people, and I quess you will see. In my opinion (and also from the sociological point of view) the lower class ("proles") do not have a desire to have knowledge of these matters, or to further educating themselves. And I dont think, that there are many "smart proles" (I got nothing against them, but that is just a fact, specially in this book.)

You proprably know, that the learning is a slow proces which takes time, effort and must have a strong will. Specially if you are already an adult (out from school) and you do have a job and you are actually making money. Those people usually got satisfied with their position and the level of knowledge and they do not care (so far as they have food, beer, sports chanell and so on). So finding a "smart prole" is a one thing, but convince other proles to rebel after that? Very complicated bussines.

And also as the guys meintioned above me, it wouldn´t be quite easy to do that in that kind a society and "situation".
    He was beaten, but he was not broken.
    Jack London - The Call of the Wild

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fields View Post
    luckystreak: If you really want an answer, I got an idea for you. Go to some builders in some downtown or to some workers from some factory and ask them :"Would you like me to teach you someting about for example philosophy or democracy standards?"
    That actually sounds quite fun - unless they thought you were winding them up and beat the crap out of you!

Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon