Thread: Scared

Scared

He kept his eyes down, for fear of having to talk to another human being. And, from his understanding, everyone trys to make some sort of conversation. After all, people are nervous creatures, and when they see his naturally reassuring smile cast on them, his eyes lingering a second too long, they take it as an open invitation to dispel their anxieties with useless banter. The patterns that emerge from these draining exchanges are inescapably dull ones. Perceived common experiences, exaggerated tales of personal strife, and mundane accomplishments litter the battlefield of small talk. No, the only comfort he desires is the is the rattling of the subway train as it proceeds on its predetermined path.
    The signature screech of the brakes told him the ride was coming to a brief pause. The doors slid apart to greet a new influx of passengers as the old cycle out. He sees their feet shuffle past him in a flurry of motion, and he waits until they settle down to look back up. The strong smell of smoke begins to permeate the air as he notices a freshly extinguished cigar hit the metal floor. He follows the trail left in the air by the fallen butt and finds himself looking at an old man. That isn’t the one, not the person he has been searching for. He looks around the car again, scanning each face for what he wants, what he needs. And there it is, the perfect one. What he had been waiting for.
    He couldn’t stop looking at her. The long brown hair that she brushed away from her face every few minutes was perfectly kept, and, if he focused long enough, he dared to imagine the feeling of that silky smooth curtain between his fingers. Her eyes were emerald gems that shone with an impossible light, her ruby lips supple and warm in the way that only she could manage. Her gentle fingers perfectly complement the subtle strength of her arms, and her flawless legs a tempting indicator of her doubtless impeccable feet, partly concealed as they were by her bright high heeled shoes. Her body, which she carries with a kind of vulnerable confidence, possesses the qualities that many women can only dream of having. The curves of her body unequivocally entrance him, providing a hypnotic dance with every step she makes across the crowded train car. Each breath she takes gives new life to a rhythmic ebb and flow that circulate her body, chest rising, eyes blinking, and, he could imagine, blood rushing through her veins. After a few minutes of watching her, he perceives his body to fall in sync with hers. For him, there is a serenity that comes from this, every breath, every heart beat is theirs to share, and time is stretched and warped until nothing moves but the two of them in a harmony of their bodies’ natural motion. He must have her, of that there is no doubt, yet the crowd of people is standing in his way. Patience, though, delivers its own rewards, and he decides to wait. Wait for that one moment, where he can gaze upon her again in all her beauty. And it will happen, as the universe makes all things happen, because he needs it so badly that there is no other course for his future to take.

She was scared. Her body was trembling with fear, and he liked that. He didn’t know what to do, so he reached out and touched her, his hand brushing against the small of her back. And she ran. She wouldn’t, couldn’t, stop if she wanted to, her heart beating so hard that it might leap out of her chest. He felt that happening inside of her, despite the distance she had put between them. The feelings came from the ground, and each beat of her heart shook him like a shockwave, overwhelming with their intensity. The fear that gripped her was unimaginable, forcing a cackle to part from his lips; not the fake laugh he had honed all his life, but the kind that left you feeling vulnerable as your body shudders from the chills it caused. That laugh grated against her conscience, a sadistic man’s intent echoing through her mind. Afraid as she was, she froze in place, the adrenaline drained from her by the sobering influence of reality. Right then she knew she was trying to escape evil, and she did what anyone in her situation could be expected to do. She sat down, curled up in a ball, and waited for it to be over. Had he kept that laugh contained, she might have gotten away and escaped the terror, but, then again, your fears will always be with you.

(For the future; there will definitely be a section in between the last two paragraphs to bridge the gap between the two events, and maybe a bit of a deeper ending.)
    Last edited by Clotho; 10-25-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Interesting, dark piece.
    Something I definitely enjoy writing myself.
    I like the imagery you portray of the heartbeat of his victim, thrilling him as if the beat itself was shaking the ground. Don't know if I'm a fan of the second last sentence. But i'm sure you can work on that, you seem to have a nac of giving us an insight into a spectre of evil whe hope to never experience but love to visualise. human's are definitely a multi-faceted beast - with a dark side.

would like to see this as part of a larger piece to be honest.

A nice first post, hope to see some more pieces.

thanks for sharing

Loks

You've managed to create a sense of impending doom very effectively. I also like the idea of her pursuer sensing her racing heart through the vibrations of the ground.

But there are a couple of overblown sentences you might consider rewriting -

like a shockwave sent out by a massive earthquake - I don't think you need the last 6 words - and especially 'massive' (it weakens the description rather than strengthening it)

and

The fear that gripped her was unimaginable, and it was strong enough to make him laugh....

if it is 'unimaginable' then you would do well not to describe how 'strong' it is because you are contradicting yourself in a way - since as the writer rather than the victim you are imagining how it must feel.

Nevertheless, this has great potential, and I believe you've got a lot more up your sleeve.

H

Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    You've managed to create a sense of impending doom very effectively. I also like the idea of her pursuer sensing her racing heart through the vibrations of the ground.

But there are a couple of overblown sentences you might consider rewriting -
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by loki456 View Post
    Interesting, dark piece.

Don't know if I'm a fan of the second last sentence.

would like to see this as part of a larger piece to be honest.

Loks

Thank you both for your compliments and criticism, I will try to implement your feedback into both my current and future writings.

I'm trying to sculpt this as a "scary" piece for Halloween, it's that time of year after all, but I write about all sorts of stuff normally.

I am expanding on this one bit, I just tend to start in the middle, finding the most interesting parts and branching out from there. I figured that I would try posting my first story here in its various stages of completion as I get to them, either as new posts or simple edits of the original.

@Loks - Is there a specific thing that you did not favor about that sentence? I retooled it a little bit, but I'm not sure exactly what it is that bothered you about it.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Last edited by Clotho; 10-24-2010 at 03:03 AM.

Hey,
    I just had another read, and the sentence still stands out. I'm guessing that what i'm feeling is a sense of 'no duh', of course if she was allowed to live, she would have had a life of her own.

I don't know, something like 'that laugh, that overblown, sadistic joy driven laugh was the final blow to a now hopeless mind. There was no way out. After all, there really isn't anyway to outrun your fears.' something that tells the reader that the victim was now both hopeless and helpless.

Okay, I've just updated it again. I think that I've rewritten the last bit alright, but tell me if you think it needs changing again. I also made it more obvious in the beginning that it was the laugh that made her stop.

And, of course, there are additional paragraphs for the beginning of the story as a whole.

yeah that's definitely better, don't need the comma after 'but' though.

first part is good, I like it as an intro... it is coming along quite well.

the sentence in the first paragraph that reads:

He must have her, of that there is no doubt, yet the crowd of people is standing in his way.

I think would be more effective if you leave out 'yet the crowd of people is standing in his way.

read it through yourself, I think you'll find it will have more of the feel you're going for.

keep it up

Loks