Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV series that deserve watching

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (focus on the first 4 years)

and

Dexter.

Only tv shows I watch anymore.
    Nothing, nothing is certain, except the insignificance of everything I can comprehend and the grandeur of something incomprehensible but most important" -Andrei Bolkonsky
    "But, I didn't do anything"- Professor Lawrence Gopnik
    "Cat in the wall, eh? Okay, now you're talking my language. I know this game." -Charlie Kelly

Blog Entries
    Frasier! How'd i forget that?
    'For sale: baby shoes, never worn'. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leland Gaunt View Post
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (focus on the first 4 years)

Great show.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Dexter
    Merlin
    Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Californication

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Bateman View Post
    QI
    That is one of the very few programs that can tempt me to use the ON switch.

Brilliant and very funny.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Does anyone follow Spooks (or Mi-5 in the States)?

I think the show has declined in quality a bit, but it's still keeps me glued to my seat, which is quite an accomplishment, given it's in its 9th series. Peter Firth is a tremendous actor.
    Ecce quam bonum et jocundum, habitares libros in unum!
    ~Robert Greene, Friar Bacon and Friar Bungay

Couldn't watch Spooks after the fish fryer episode....

Blog Entries
    Well, thats "Masterchef - the Professionals" over for another year, the creme de la creme of the cookery programmes we are swamped with. The drama, the pathos, bathos and hubris,( not to mention hummus) the nosh. This season the standards went stella, anyone of the three finalists could've won.

Back to the beans on toast I suppose.

I recently discovered Louie, on Netflix, and it has got my recommendation. His stand-up sequences are mediocre, but the "reall-life" bits are all fantastic.
    Nothing, nothing is certain, except the insignificance of everything I can comprehend and the grandeur of something incomprehensible but most important" -Andrei Bolkonsky
    "But, I didn't do anything"- Professor Lawrence Gopnik
    "Cat in the wall, eh? Okay, now you're talking my language. I know this game." -Charlie Kelly

Curb Your Enthusiasm - one of my favorites

Breaking Bad - pretty good

South Park and Simpsons

Completely and utterly addicted to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage. I'm watching about four episodes a night, starting from the early episodes on C4 OD, I find the whole thing totally engaging. I've never been so addicted to a TV programme in my life and I've hardly read a thing all week. I guess it is because I find the whole subject of self-sufficiency so infinitely appealing, idealistic yes, but infinitely appealing.

So did you watch last night's programme in Grand Designs, Neely? If you did, I guess Mrs Neely is hiding your wood-working tools even as we speak - that ecological/self-sufficient house was just so beautiful, I could have moved into it at once though I guess I would have to have joined the queue. My old carpenter Dad would have been drooling at the thought of all that hand-worked wood.

Right now I'm watching The Event. It is a really great show
    "Like me you are human, after all, and we know what a terror and a joy that is" - Odd Thomas (Dean Koontz)

Doctor Who... David Tenant for the first time actually captured my interest... My hubby was already a fan. And now the new doctor is better!

Anyway, Have I Got News for You is great, but Mock the Week I find better. Partly because of more freedom for the comedians. Other format, eh.

QI we watch religiously too.

ITV's Poirot with David Suchet is great! Missed the last one though . Had visitors.

Oh, Sherlock was great too. They did a pilot I think earlier this year and probably more episodes will follow. I found that a very clever up-to-date adaptation. The real Sherlock Holmes I don't really like as it is too obvious (Hound of the Baskervilles, hello phosphorus! It's hardly exciting).

University Challenge! I beat my hubby every week on lit and art! That said though, the science stuff, we are watching with great big eyes of astonishment sometimes...

And then there was Swedish Wallander. We were fans (although I missed the last episode because of visitors again! ). I think they broadcast the last, but maybe they'll repeat. I so hope so! We could watch it every Saturday night for the rest of our lives.

Oh, yes and Harry Hill's TV Burp we also watch religiously.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by kasie View Post
    So did you watch last night's programme in Grand Designs, Neely? If you did, I guess Mrs Neely is hiding your wood-working tools even as we speak - that ecological/self-sufficient house was just so beautiful, I could have moved into it at once though I guess I would have to have joined the queue. My old carpenter Dad would have been drooling at the thought of all that hand-worked wood.
    Oh no I didn't see that. I'm not so good with the practical stuff like that though - I once hung a picture up in the kitchen and knocked all the electrics out, had to get someone round.

Tonight's new episode of River Cottage is not to be missed - bread!!! 8.00pm C4.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast