Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Book You've Ever Read?

I'm aware i may make some enemies by saying this, but Catcher in the Rye is probably the worst book i have ever read.
    It's just really irritating, and ultimately pointless.
    Shakespeare is over-rated; his comedies should have been laid to rest years ago, but some of his work is sheer genius.

In Arden with a book
    I guess 'Catcher in the Rye' was momentous and provocative at some point, but now it just seems whiny, not that well written, and as you say, really irritating.

But I still differ on Shakespeare. Maybe some of his comedies aren't "sheer genius," assuming that you mean great works about human nature, but they aren't supposed to be. After all, half the time Shakespeare was catering to the peanut throwing groundlings. They were only meant to amuse and entertain, and their brand of genius lies in the fact that, half a millenium later, they continue to amuse and entertain.

IdTakeABulletForYou
    I ahven't read it cause i've heard it's so sad... or am i thinking of "Where the Red Fern Grows"?
    I have 853 poems online. Please check some out:

My Poems

In Arden with a book
    Two very different things, fever!

With most books, even the most, in my opinion, detestable, showing the least talent, imagination, and/or intelligence, I try to discover some kind of respect; yet, with certain works, I cannot help but feel annoyed.
    As I have said in a similar thread, Creation by Gore Vidal really irritated me, along with Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, and most fantasy and science-fiction books. A few selected poets also tend to bother me, too, specifically Billy Collins, though he remains the U.S. poet laureate.
    With most literature, something really, really has to bother me in order to earn my disliking, yet the ones I do dislike stay very distinguished.

Awakening by kate Chopin this is one bad book
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

IdTakeABulletForYou
    I remember that.... o, yes, the book The Red Pony by i think by the guy who wrote the grapes of wrath... i'm drwaing a blank... But it was senseless
    I have 853 poems online. Please check some out:

My Poems

I think Catch-22 is way over-rated. It's considered to be a great piece of satire but it's too long, repetitive (to the extent of getting on your nerves at times) and really not very interesting writing. The basic plot may possibly have had merit(even if only in the author's head) but the book got too loud and obnoxious. I think satire works best when it's kept short and to the point.
    Last edited by cruciverbalist; 10-07-2005 at 02:58 PM.

glossing my heartstrings HandBag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfeverlime
    I remember that.... o, yes, the book The Red Pony by i think by the guy who wrote the grapes of wrath... i'm drwaing a blank... But it was senseless
    Steinbeck?

The worst book i ever read was

The Last of the Mohicans - Fenimore-Cooper

or any Henry James

Blog Entries
    Well I love this book alot..and as I realize that this thing is totally subjective, I won't argue with you. Same as I don't want to argue with Rowling's fans when I told them that Harry Potter series are overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by cruciverbalist
    I think Catch-22 is way over-rated. It's considered to be a great piece of satire but it's too long, repetitive (to the extent of getting on your nerves at times) and really not very interesting writing. The basic plot may possibly have had merit(even if only in the author's head) but the book got too loud and obnoxious. I think satire works best when it's kept short and to the point.

"there are people in the world so hungry that God can not appear to them except in the form of bread"

Mahatma Gandhi

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBag
    The worst book i ever read was

The Last of the Mohicans - Fenimore-Cooper
    Thanks for mentioning that. Twain was right, Fennimore -Cooper wasn't a good writer. 18 of a possible 19 literary sins.

Blog Entries
    I never finished this book as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond
    Awakening by kate Chopin this is one bad book

"there are people in the world so hungry that God can not appear to them except in the form of bread"

Mahatma Gandhi

The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald was AWFUL and it was a major ordeal to get all the way through it.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

glossing my heartstrings HandBag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL
    Thanks for mentioning that. Twain was right, Fennimore -Cooper wasn't a good writer. 18 of a possible 19 literary sins.

I had to read it for my uni course....

i forgot to mention my dislike for dickens also, but i suppose indicating i hated James was a hint of that.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBag
    I had to read it for my uni course....

i forgot to mention my dislike for dickens also, but i suppose indicating i hated James was a hint of that.
    I am happy that I have avoided reading much of Fennimore-Cooper, but I understand why he was a noteworthy author. It is a pity that he didn't learn how to wwrite well.

The problem that I have with Dickens and many other authors is that they toss too much into a book. Perhaps they want to create an extremely detailed picture for the reader, and perhaps they have multiple reasons for writing a given book. I think the reason varies.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast