Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Book You've Ever Read?

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    Somehow I doubt you actually read it. Das Kapital was written solely by Marx. As his friend and supporter, Engels did play a part in commenting it, but this hardly qualifies as being a co-author. And it's pointless commenting the endless amounts of concepts and innovations in the field Marx presented in Das Kapital, and this is a student of economics speaking.

Perhaps you're mistaking it with the Communist Manifesto? That one was indeed a collaboration between the two, and it probably resembles more what you can consider as a "load of inaccurate drivel". Personally, I wouldn't go that far.
    For some reason, I had thought that The Communist Manifesto was solely by Marx, while Capital was a joint effort by Marx and Engels; I had it backwards. I haven't read all of Capital, but I have read significant parts of it. Referring to it as "load of inaccurate drivel" was for effect. There is too much in it to apply a single epithet to it. But I have major problems with the premises, and I doubt the validity of the a large part of the facts that he used.
    On the other hand, The Communist Manifesto is almost funny.

beginner man of letters Alex E Art's Avatar
    Da Vinci code, because it's a speculation
    Wake up and act! In the grave you will be sleeping enough!

I am reading "the Da Vinci Code"...it's not swaying me much.

"The Catcher in the Rye". I found the book terribly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi 65
    I reread Jonathon Sergull by Richard Bach I believe it is? But I remember reading it in high school and now that I am reading some of it over. It's like, "What did I see in the book.?, other than a seagull that learns to fly, then goes off to learn how to fly some more and even better.. gee what am I missing here??
    lol

I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Virginia Wolf makes me want to scream and The Grapes of wrath DID make me scream. I couldn't bear it, it was like listening to someone snoring loudly while someone else scratched their fingers down a blackboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamonas Chegwe
    Ian Hislop, editor of the satirical magazine, "Private Eye", once advocated a return of the death penalty in Britain for two classes of people; those that read Jeffrey Archer's books and those that write Jeffrey Archer's books. I couldn't agree more.
    I read about Jeffrey and thought his life quite amazing.
    Then I tried reading not a penny .... and couldn't get past the first chapter. I really tried. next i tried reading the president's daughter or whatever it was called and I couldn't stand more than a couple of paragraphs. I don't even know why. i will try again and be more fair by at least having read something of his.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlegger
    MEIN KAMPF
    by adolf hitler

the racist, anti-semitic ______________

seriously though, i am ashamed that a single member of my species agreed with this book and its morals.
    Being a Jewish woman I found although I tried that even looking at the book made me hear the screams of my and other dear people, especially the children, in my head so I couldn't. But a gentleman who I don't remember the name of said in his book on Hitler that had the leaders of the other nations, including Germany read the book they would have been forewarned exactly of what Adolf Hitler was going to do. But sales were low even in Germany.
    What a terrible shame.

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's this one terrible novel I read. Too many characters to keep track of, and nowhere near enough plotline. Far too formulaic for my taste.

Perhaps you've heard of it--if you have, then I strongly suggest you stay away from The Yellow Pages.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Quote Originally Posted by Günter Grass
    Even a bad book is a book, and therefore sacred.
    This sums up my opinion. If you don't like a book, be like Groucho Marx:

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marx
    From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
    PS. This doesn't apply to Jeffrey Archer. His books should be burnt. Around a stake to which he is tied.
    Last edited by Xamonas Chegwe; 01-22-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Xamonas,
    it is one thing to not like Archer, but to say that because he writes a certain way, to say even in fun that he should be tied to a stake rather undermines all I thought you believed in. I thought you were for freedom of speech and applauded others who say stuff that offends others.And isn't that what people did when they accused them of witchcraft? It just sounds rather, er violent. couldn't we just give him a one way ticket to a country we won't be visiting?
    Um, he wouldn't be a relative that has done you ill or even cut you out of his will would he?

^^

dude, get off your high horse and unbutton the stiff collar. The world would be a much better place if more people were able to appreciate humorous and 'tongue-in-cheek' (you might wanna look that up in the oxford dictionary) responses.

Blog Entries
    First of all, rachel is not a "dude," and second of all, malignant opinions -- of anybody -- generally rub her the wrong way. That is simply how sweet she is.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

yikes,
    I was joking too, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers EAP. I was just trying to talk strongly like Xamonas does. Obviously I failed.
    Funny, I've never been called a dude before.
    Thank you M'Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    Xamonas,
    it is one thing to not like Archer, but to say that because he writes a certain way, to say even in fun that he should be tied to a stake rather undermines all I thought you believed in. I thought you were for freedom of speech and applauded others who say stuff that offends others.And isn't that what people did when they accused them of witchcraft? It just sounds rather, er violent. couldn't we just give him a one way ticket to a country we won't be visiting?
    Um, he wouldn't be a relative that has done you ill or even cut you out of his will would he?
    I am all for freedom of speech. But it's not what Archer says that I despise, it's what he is.

He lied, cheated, stole and plagiarised his way to the top; and repeatedly sued anyone that said so for libel. Fortunately, he was caught and spent time in prison for perjury - but nowhere near long enough! Sending him to another country sounds fine, but he's such a slimy little creep, he'd just keep coming back. He's the proverbial bad penny.

Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities, but I'm afraid it has to be burning (although I may be swayed towards a painless, lethal injection... Nah! Burn the ******!!!)

btw - dude kinda suits you.
    Last edited by Xamonas Chegwe; 01-23-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Dude suits me, but you don't know me, or anything about me ....do you?
    Yikes I alwas thought a dude was a guy. you have me a little worried!!

Blog Entries
    Hmm. According to Merriam-Webster's, it's either a guy, a fastidious man, or a city-dweller unfamiliar with country life. I'm not sure I like "dude" as a description for rachel...
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Too add in the list: all those readings who promote escapism (i.e. Harlequin searies).

An Evil Has Arisen
    By Harlequin series do you mean all those little romance paperbacks at the far end in the book section of local Wal-Marts?

And as to "promoting escapism," that almost seems like a blanket statement. All forms of fiction and story-telling, be it prose or poetry, do allow people to "escape" to some extent. Whether by immersing a person in the culture, politics & locale of a said world or just offering a peek into something that gets people away from routine, that is escaping from real life, if only for a while.

Seriously tho', I need to check the dictionary on escapism. Honest.
    I don't think that I can make it
    'Cause it took so long to take it
    And I'll never have a passing grade again!
    O no!
    --In imitation of Richard Harris's MacArthur's Park after taking my semster test in Spanish III.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast