Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Giorgio Taboga - Music Writer, Researcher and Friend

Banned

Giorgio Taboga - Music Writer, Researcher and Friend

11th October 2010

GIORGIO TABOGA - ITALIAN MUSIC RESEARCHER

This morning received sad news from Italy of the death after a long and debilitating illness of the brilliant Italian music researcher Giorgio Taboga, whose pioneering works on the little known background to the careers of Josef Haydn, W.A. Mozart and L. v Beethoven was freely shared by him with others over the past years. Giorgio was one of few independent, generous and outstanding researchers in the field of western musical history who made detailed, pioneering and personal study of music archives and libraries over many years in pursuit of a musical history less dominated by its most iconic figures. His legacy will speak for itself. He is survived by his son, Agostino, opera/orchestral conductor and music researcher.

Rest In Peace Giorgio

J. S. Bach
    Little Suite for Orchestra

http://www.mediafire.com/?w645vfa6eq43eiu

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Musicology,

I know nothing of Taboga, but since he meant something to you, I'll send my regards on your behalf.

Gilliatt
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Banned
    Giorgio Taboga began by trying to examine the life and career of the Italian composer Andrea Luchesi (1741-1801) whose name (and whose music) has been strangely suppressed from books on late 18th century music. Which he realised was unusual given his huge importance at Bonn and elsewhere during the time of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. What followed was wholly unexpected - his discovery of major discrepancies in the standard version of western musical history. He made a great deal of documentary research on the subject and we were in contact from around 7 years ago. He and I had been working on closely related subjects for years before that time. Unknown to each other. But Taboga was first to realise their implications.

One of the most remarkable researchers of our times. And a generous, kind hearted man. The equivalent of a man who stumbles across the remains of a city buried in the jungle. What is done with this information and what the response of others to it will be, remains to be seen. In my case it's a case study along similar lines, that of Mozart, although there are times when even he and his giant status seem minor within the whole subject. My book is to be dedicated to him.

Best wishes

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    Musicology,

I know nothing of Taboga, but since he meant something to you, I'll send my regards on your behalf.

Gilliatt