Thread: Putting the boot in - Miss Austin style

Blog Entries

Putting the boot in - Miss Austin style

This is just brilliant! The language may be genteel and elegant, but no one puts the boot in quite like Miss Austin.

- a lucky contraction of the brow had rescued her countenance from the disgrace of insipidity, by giving it the strong character of pride and ill-nature. She was not a woman of many words: for unlike people in general, she proportioned them to the number of her ideas.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's always this presupposition, usually by those who haven't read her, that Austen was this genteel, elegant woman... when actually if you look at her writing and contemporary accounts of her, she was an acid-tongued old biddy who took great delight in pointing out the flaws of others...

This is my personal favourite - Austen's History of England. It never fails to have me laughing.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Much obliged Lokasenna. I have read snippets of it, but never the whole thing