Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trapped Chilean miners

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trapped Chilean miners

Anyone else sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for those poor guys to get pulled safely from the earth?

May they soon be reunited with their families and may they never, ever have to go down a mine again.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

They will though... If they are real miners, anyway.

But, I find it amazing that they can actually get them out of there! I mean, 20 years ago that was almost impossible to do. I wouldn't like to be in their position, but at least they are practically sure of getting out. Admirable and amazing at the same time.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, they'll be going down again, surely in no time, unless they are scared enough to get trapped down there a second time and find themselves a chance for a different job, which might be unlikely. A very good thing is they all seem healthy.

Blog Entries
    Did anyone else hear that in a few cases more than one 'wife' or 'girlfriend' showed up?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. The Third View Post
    Did anyone else hear that in a few cases more than one 'wife' or 'girlfriend' showed up?
    I did. Would you say it's uncommon?

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, one could hope that there's a Hollywood movie in this somewhere, and maybe they'll get some money for that. Or that their experience, being invaluable to the scientific community (both in examining the mental and physical health implications of being trapped underground for this length of time) may generate them an alternative avenue of work. Or maybe the mining company might compensate them, or at the very least find them a job above ground. Unless they want to go back down, of course. But whether they have to? Hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    But, I find it amazing that they can actually get them out of there! I mean, 20 years ago that was almost impossible to do. I wouldn't like to be in their position, but at least they are practically sure of getting out. Admirable and amazing at the same time.
    Yes, my husband and I were discussing this this morning. It's almost like an episode of Thunderbirds except, of course, that the Thunderbirds would have got them out weeks ago and it would have involved jet packs somehow
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

I really felt so sad when i heard about it first in the news...
    May they return safely..

But i was wondering .. how could then spend all that time . i heard it was whole two months. why no action done to take them out so soon ..
    Will they have enough air .. ?

I remembering watching a movies on such incidence.. but it was a US mines.. and that lady which is the one in control .. has to take four men out .. including her husband and son.... along with two other men .. They had to do it fast.. and then did it in a period of days... it was s true story i guess.. or it resembled so ..

Anyway .. hope these men get back to their families .
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

Blog Entries
    They were drilling all that time, it just takes very long to get down there, you can't blast the rock, like you would digging a regular mine, because you might collapse it on them.

I don't know how I would be able to take it. I once went down into a coal mine out East, and it was so claustrophobic, some of the tunnels, where children worked, were only like 4-5 feet high. A copper mine I visited once before was a bit more tolerable.

My father only worked two years as a coal miner, says it was the worse job he ever had.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus View Post
    I did. Would you say it's uncommon?
    How should I know? But probably not.

Blog Entries
    God, that would SUCK. I think I would go bonkers if I were stuck in a hole in the ground for two months. I once read about the people who explore caves, just learning about it made me feel anxious and I'm not claustrophobic at all.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    I did and got a good laugh out of it. He may be reluctant to come out.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    How should I know? But probably not.
    I'm curious... what would you have done, uh?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I did and got a good laugh out of it. He may be reluctant to come out.

Ooh, that's bad. I agree with Virgil. Maybe he wants to stay .

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    Well, one could hope that there's a Hollywood movie in this somewhere, and maybe they'll get some money for that. Or that their experience, being invaluable to the scientific community (both in examining the mental and physical health implications of being trapped underground for this length of time) may generate them an alternative avenue of work. Or maybe the mining company might compensate them, or at the very least find them a job above ground. Unless they want to go back down, of course. But whether they have to? Hopefully not.
    Oh, I am afraid you're wrong there. Sorry for the Latin-Americans here, but companies over there are really really devious. I read in a report in a Belgian newspaper just after they got trapped that they would not get any wages while they were down there even! I don't know whether that has gone through, but still, it seemed normal for the company to deny them payment as they were not working. It would surprise me if they could actually go to court, and could prove that it was the company's fault that they got trapped (because it could also be a genuine accident) and thus demand compensation. Unless maybe a good lawyer volunteers to get that group of people to sue the company, but where does the money come from for the court itself? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if they had barely enough to feed their families with...
    A film, like you say, might do them good, like it did with Slumdog Millionaire, but then they will have to have very good reresentation not to be conned into a bad deal...

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    I don't know how I would be able to take it. I once went down into a coal mine out East, and it was so claustrophobic, some of the tunnels, where children worked, were only like 4-5 feet high. A copper mine I visited once before was a bit more tolerable.

My father only worked two years as a coal miner, says it was the worse job he ever had.
    I don't think I would be able to go down, although I would like to, I just don't feel right, knowing that there is x amount of 100s of meters of ground above me... I already had that in the catacombs in Rome, let alone in a mine .
    But I believe your father.

Did you know that in the 19th century they even had horses and donkeys in mines to pull those little carts. They never came out, poor beasts. They went down to work, and they would never see daylight again until they were dead .
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

My grandfather was a coal miner and was caught in two underground accidents. In the first, he and his fellow miners were burned in a blowback of gas: he was the First Aider and had to dress all the others' wounds before attending to himself. When he recovered he went back down the mine - as a previous poster remarked, opportunities for work were limited in the area. Some years later he was trapped by a rock fall and left for dead: next day, two of his colleagues volunteered to go back down the mine to search for survivors, found him, dug him out from under the rock and brought him to the surface. (They were awarded the George Medal for their bravery.) His legs were crushed, he was told he would never walk again. The mine owners paid for his medical treatment and aarded him a tiny pension, not enough to live on. He had a wife and two young children so he made himself walk again or they would all have starved or ended up in the workhouse - there was no Invalidity Pension in those days, just before WWI. He found himself a 'safer' job in the quarry ('safer' because it was above ground) and worked there until his mid-seventies, protesting at his enforced retitement after a bout of pleurisy that there were 'years of good work' left in him yet.

He never spoke of his overnight ordeal underground, save to tell a friend at the time that he had not dared to fall asleep because he could breathe only by concentrating on the physical act of drawing breath. I learned of it only when the local newspaper ran a feature on the news headlines of fifty years ago. Then my aunt told me the tale. It was only years later that I realised she would have been too young to have remembered the event and what I was hearing was my grandmother's voice relating the story, etched into her memory like a wax cylinder recording. I cannot imagine how he lived with this memory and I cannot imagine how those Chilean miners will live with their memories - I just hope there will be some good help available to them not just when they surface but for a good many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post

May they soon be reunited with their families and may they never, ever have to go down a mine again.
    reminds me of the story about the Essex that I heard about recently. It was a whaling vessel that was destroyed by an angry whale. Some of the men were actually rescued after months at sea (they were delirious and nearly starved) - and yet some of them turned right around and went on more whaling expeditions

(understandable becasue of $ and skills, but astonishing nonetheless)
    Last edited by keilj; 10-11-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast