Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: New York or Chicago

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicago

4 14.29%
  • New York

18 64.29%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pizza

Pizza

Chicago:

OR

New York:

( I added an other for all you who find the constraints of a scientific poll to constraining)
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    That Chicago one looks fantastic. That's what pizza up here looks like, except the cheese on top is thicker.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I have to say, the New York style is my favorite. I like thin crust, little sauce, lots of cheese. And that's mostly New York!
    I don't like thick pizza - too much of a mess (particularly the Chicago one).
    This pain?
    This pain is nothing.
    I have survived far worse.
    And I can endure much more than anything you could possible offer.

Sorry, just the snobby comments of a person used to only Italian pizza, but that Chicago one looks more like a tomato-y cuiche to me. Not like a pizza. So therefore, New York, if it has to be one.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Being a huge fan of cheese, I would straightforwardly go for the New York one!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I much prefer the New York style (thin) to the Chicago style.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    As a meal or a snack??
    And if a meal are we talking breakfast or dinner???
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Livin' in Slow Motion Hurricane's Avatar
    Both have their place, but I'll go with New York as a general rule.

Best pizza I ever had was in Sweden: they took the crust and made it in the shape of a viking boat and filled it with steak and Bearnaise sauce, among other things. Amazing!
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

Blog Entries
    But the Chicago one has substance! That New York one is thin, flat and greasy, nothing to it. After you have a slice of the first one, you're going to be pumped with energy and feel great. A slice of the second one? Pimples and a tummy ache.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Ny!!!
    Find your dream and stick with it...or your life will have slipped past in a whisper with you still on the bottom.

Blog Entries
    Oh please, when I was in Chicago two years ago I made an effort to check out the best pizzarias to compare. I've heard the trash talk from Chicagoans. Ptthhhh! Not even close. It's not even close. New York pizza kicks their a$$ over by a lot. Take it from a pizza connoisseur, New York pizza is by far superior: the dough, the sauce, the cheese, the texture. Hands down New York was superior.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Holy Crap Virg, We agree! New York style is Pizza, Chicago style is dough with a little sauce and some cheese.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Australian Pizzas are the best. I think the NY looks dead on its feet - dry cardboard. A pizza needs life - more like the Chicago pic - a single slice a meal unto itself!

this one looks good for a laugh! http://www.gobbledegeek.com.au/wp-co...aped_pizza.jpg
    Last edited by Delta40; 10-04-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Anyone know what pizza is like in Europe? I heard that they don't do tomato sauce in France, they have a cream sauce.
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    New York has many types of pizza, not just the flat kind shown above. By the way, that's either called by a typical New Yorker a round slice or just a slice or if you are of Italian heritage, that's called a Neopolatan slice. And no, if it's done correctly, it tastes nothing like cardboard. The dough should be crisp on the bottom with an almost spongy layer on top. This is what it should look like:

Now some pizzarias may emphasize the cheese over the sauce, and others may emphasize the sauce and minimize the cheese. I prefer more sauce and less cheese, but most New Yorkers go the other way. Either way it should be steaming hot so that the oil can if you're not careful burn the roof of your mouth. If it's really hot, you hang the slice down to let the oil drip off.

The other major type of New York pizza is a square slice, or if you;re Italian, a Scicilian. The ingrediants are the same but they must let the dough rise more, and there's usually more sauce and mozzarella cheese. This is waht it looks like:

And of course you can put all sorts of toppings on it. I've seen everything.

Now there are also lots of small pizza restaurants that kind upgrade pizza to a higher level of cuisine. Here's a local pizza (from Staten Island) that has won several international contests.

Look here for video clips: http://www.goodfellas.com/best_pizza07/CBS_01.htm

They claim to be the best in the world, and i love going to them, but we have others here in NYC that I enjoy too. The point is that great pizza is all around in New York.

Finally I leave you with the openning from the movie Saturday Night Fever. Look at the 1:15 time in the clip and you'll see Tony (John Travolta) eating two slices at the same time. Very cool. That's my old neighborhood in Brooklyn that I grew up in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQ8sUbgA2c
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast