Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Why the Popemobile was exempt from the London congestion charge.

www.markbastable.co.uk

Why the Popemobile was exempt from the London congestion charge.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about here, it's probably better to keep it that way....

For those interested, though, I've just dropped by to mention that the thread on Bach's variations and whether or not JS was a clockwork monkey has been growing inexorably - not only in length (though I believe it's now up to 25,000 posts averaging ten thousand words apiece) but also in breadth. Its two persistent and indefatigable contributors are now citing conspiracy theories of inspired, even Ickean, invention.

So, if you've missed the to-and-fro over whether or not the universe revolves around the Earth, you might like to wander over there in your foil hat and check out the alternate interpretations of reality currently on view.

Here's a kind of trailer...

Every British monarch before and since Henry 8th (including himself) has been a private, practicing Roman Catholic. (But don't tell the children and never admit this in the history textbooks. It would ruin the old story of protestants 'perscuting' all those who were not). (A loyal Roman monarchy always supported loyal by an aristocracy who looked back to the papally approved invasion and occupation of William the Conqueror in 1066 for the fact of their own English estates and privileges). FACT. And, contrary to popular myth, Henry 8th at no time renounced his Roman Catholic faith. FACT. This too contrary to popular stories. The single exception to this millenium of hypocrisy appearing to be Elizabeth 1st.

And, speaking of humbug and hypocrisy in high places, what is this ? From the Restoration of Charles 2nd (after the Commonwealth period) in 1660. (When the streets of London were artificially packed by specially invited loyal Romanists of the British aristocracy to welcome the arrival from France of a new king ! How touching !!! Giving the impression England did not want their own independence. Preceded by the secret Treaty of Dover. (They don't teach that also in history classes). And, surprise, surprise, what did that consist of ? The 'conversion' to Rome of the same King Charles 2nd. That's unusual isn't it ? Hidden from English public knowledge, of course. It mattered in those days, didn't it ?
    Last edited by MarkBastable; 10-03-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Sheffield, South Yorks, England. Tha knows.
    Blog Entries
    The cynic in me suggests that the Popemobile was exempt, not just on grounds of Religious Conspiracy, but also because some cynic - doubtless a protestant - had worked out that his presence was going to bring so many flocking to the capital, and causing major congestion, that a deal was struck. (Allegedly!)
    Dafydd Manton, A Legend In His Own Lunchtime!! www.dafydd-manton.co.uk

My Work Has Been Spread Over Many Fields!

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Ye Gods Mark.

I checked out the thread for the first time and see what you mean!

Just looking at the aspect of "Two indefatigable contributors"

Its a marriage made in heaven!

In case you weren't aware, that thread isn't even half-way the length of the (surprisingly) dormant one about Mozart.

http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=46636

Could somebody dummy this down for me....What

Blog Entries
    I'd be interested in a link to your source.