Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Words & Cliches you HATE the Most. . .

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    "To cut a long story short" because as soon as someone says that you know you're in for a long and boring monologue which is anything but short.
    Indeed!
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

God, I suddenly feel like I have nothing to say...I've used almost all of those phrases in daily speech, it's just a way of communicating when one feels somewhat "out in left field", not "on the same page"....

Boy o boy look at him go! katelbach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Well, for me it's 'how are you'. The most ludicrous superficial question where no-one actually cares about the answer, but just must ask it...

My hubby, he just told me, always replies in full, just to make a point
    That's some 'blue sky thinking' right there.
    T for Tea.

Blog Entries
    I hate it when people describe things as "interesting." God, I hate it so much. When I get out of a stupid movie that's trying too hard to be artistic but only manages to mash together meaningless garbage, I could bite all of the people that I overhear talking about how "interesting" the film was. "Well, it was very interesting." Ugh. What is that even supposed to mean? It's just a way of saying nothing and trying not to look stupid.

I also hate it when they start a discussion with "You know what's interesting?" Yes I do, and it's very likely not what you're about to tell me.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Registered User Scarlett O'Hara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Well, for me it's 'how are you'. The most ludicrous superficial question where no-one actually cares about the answer, but just must ask it...

My hubby, he just told me, always replies in full, just to make a point
    I must try that sometime. Although I am guilty of using the 'how are you' several times, particularly to all the customers I have served. I geniunely care about how people are, but its just so overused that it seems ingenuine and only in an attempt to make conversation (which it often is). It is almost innate for me.
    I really ought to come up with a different line

Blog Entries
    'human capital' makes me think of slavery

bonding . . . like in, 'Mother and daughter bonded as they went shopping together.'
    . . . mushy!

(Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I hate it when people describe things as "interesting." God, I hate it so much. When I get out of a stupid movie that's trying too hard to be artistic but only manages to mash together meaningless garbage, I could bite all of the people that I overhear talking about how "interesting" the film was. "Well, it was very interesting." Ugh. What is that even supposed to mean? It's just a way of saying nothing and trying not to look stupid.

I also hate it when they start a discussion with "You know what's interesting?" Yes I do, and it's very likely not what you're about to tell me.
    I use interesting a lot. (but not for movies)

I absolutely hate the word 'utilize'-even typing it makes me cringe

Two that were in use a few years ago and which I found slightlty irritating were 'Proactive' and the phrase 'Hit the ground running', both used more in hope than expectation; especially as they were usualy applied to the most inactive and physically maladroit civil servants imaginable.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Use this article in my classes. Students love/hate it because they all use them.

For me, "at the end of the day" (we can all thank Beckam for making this one popular) and "shouldn't of" are the most annoying ones.

Oh, and also, "No offence but..." as I know that as soon as someone says that they will be saying something annoying and "no offence but..." is their claim to immunity from any repurcussions.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

How about "I don't mean this in a bad way" and nothing good ever comes next.

The one word that currently chaps my hide is "scrumptious".
    This is a Rachel Ray-type word along the lines of "delish".

Cliches:

Chaps my hide

What goes around comes around

A taste of your own medicine

Take the crowd out of the game

Sounds like a plan
    (I hate it when someone says this to me)

If I told you the secret I'd have to kill you
    Last edited by William of Waco; 09-26-2010 at 09:53 PM.

"Take the crowd out of the game" I've only JUST *heard* this and it's already annoying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    'human capital' makes me think of slavery
    well of course it does, it has the word capital in it after all.

Hmm, let me think, I don't know if there is anything that really bothers me I think it depends on the person really.

for example, a friend of mine always uses the word ideal, instead of idea, but I think it's adorable when she does it, but I think she's adorable and I know she's as smart as could be.

let me think harder, there has to be something.

"because I said so" is something that bothers the hell out of me, unless used jokingly. It really doesn't say much to a persons character if they have no reasoning to their actions other then because they said so. I always want to slap people when I hear them say that, it's like when people say "I don't have to explain myself", they just CAN'T explain themselves.

I'm not even sure if that counts but, as long as I'm here, that annoys the hell out of me anyway hahaha.
    Last edited by Revolte; 09-27-2010 at 02:52 AM.
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Use this article in my classes. Students love/hate it because they all use them.

For me, "at the end of the day" (we can all thank Beckam for making this one popular) and "shouldn't of" are the most annoying ones.

Oh, and also, "No offence but..." as I know that as soon as someone says that they will be saying something annoying and "no offence but..." is their claim to immunity from any repurcussions.
    What is wrong with "shouldn't have"? As I understand it, "shouldn't have" is what people mean to be saying. I've never seen someone write it as "shouldn't of" but I would say "shouldn't have" is perfectly legitimate. It happens quite a lot though, that people will hear one thing and it gradually changes into another for some.

Or is "shouldn't" one contraction that you're not allowed to make?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast