Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 117 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1767107112113114115116117118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1888

Thread: Daily puzzles/problems.

4. Dostoevsky??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Um, no.

The quote comes from a poem written by a Romantic with a fondness for sprinkling references to other poets of his day throughout his poetry. The poet being referenced had largely stopped writing poems at that time and had instead turned to expounding on literary criticism and metaphysical principles, including one particularly dense and lengthy volume that many readers of the time found impenetrable.

Now, Lets say you're giving out hidden clues.

3. Ezra Pound
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 04-13-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    ay up

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorns View Post
    4. Dostoevsky??
    Correct! Only two left now...
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Now, Lets say you're giving out hidden clues.

3. Ezra Pound
    You're giving me waaay too much credit, Mick.

"If it is honorable for you to disturb the dead, I shall consider it an honor and will make it my ambition to disturb your living." - Captain Miles Hazzard

*1. "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." Ernest Hemingway

*2. "He was a true Poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it." Milton

*3. "About eight years or so ago, Valentine's Day, I seem to remember, you received an extremely bad review…and this review, unlike most bad reviews, came accompanied with a very large advance."

*4. "What unfolds in his works is not a multitude of characters and fates in a single objective world, illuminated by a single authorial consciousness; rather a plurality of consciousnesses, with equal rights and each with its own world, combine but are not merged in the unity of the event." Dostoevsky

*5. "Explaining metaphysics to the nation – Coleridge
    I wish he would explain his Explanation."

6. "Count No 'Count" William Faulkner

7. "Before [him] there had only been good and bad characters, deliverers and traitors, saints and blasphemers, in literature; here the hero is saint and fool in one and the same person." Cervantes

8. "It is a better and a wiser thing to be a starved apothecary than a starved poet; so back to the shop [sir], back to plasters, pills, and ointment boxes." John Keats

*9. "Once upon a time a Georgian printed a couple of books that attracted notice, but immediately it turned out that he was little more than an amanuensis for the local blacks." Joel Chandler Harris

*10. "A beautiful and ineffectual angel, beating in the void his luminous wings in vain." Percy Shelley

*11. "[He] was perhaps the first great nonstop literary drinker of the American nineteenth century. He made the indulgences of Coleridge and De Quincey seem like a bit of mischief in the kitchen with the cooking sherry." Edgar Allan Poe

*12. "[He] did a great many notable things for his country…it is not the idea of this memoir to ignore that or cover it up. No; the simple idea of it is to snub those pretentious maxims of his, which he worked up with a great show of originality out of truisms that had become wearisome platitudes as early as the dispersion from Babel." Benjamin Franklin
    Last edited by Basil; 04-16-2012 at 07:21 AM.

"If it is honorable for you to disturb the dead, I shall consider it an honor and will make it my ambition to disturb your living." - Captain Miles Hazzard

Wild guess on #5 John Donne.

Blog Entries
    By clutching-at-straws-process-of-elimination methodology (ie. we've got Shelly and Keats,) and Byron was a sardonic sod, so Byron for number 5

I mean the Quote was Byronic, about Wordsworth?
    ay up

#3 has a whiff of Dorothy Parker talking to some dude, maybe.

Blog Entries
    The quote comes from a poem written by a Romantic with a fondness for sprinkling references to other poets of his day throughout his poetry. The poet being referenced had largely stopped writing poems at that time and had instead turned to expounding on literary criticism and metaphysical principles, including one particularly dense and lengthy volume that many readers of the time found impenetrable.
    Biographia Literaria? Coleridge?
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 04-16-2012 at 03:07 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Just when I was about to hammer the final nail in this coffin, the corpse has suddenly shifted to the right. What else to do but continue beating him until we know for sure that he's dead?

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Biographia Literaria? Coleridge?
    That is correct; Mick also correctly judged the quote to be Byronic.

So that just leaves us this quote, from a 1997 interview, between two Brits:

"About eight years or so ago, Valentine's Day, I seem to remember, you received an extremely bad review…and this review, unlike most bad reviews, came accompanied with a very large advance."

Blog Entries
    As the renowned carpet bomber of this thead, (as opposed to jajdude the sniper) I shall have yet another wild guess

JK Rowling.
    ay up

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    JK Rowling.
    Incorrect.

I just read somewhere that this author is known as a "night bachelor". I have no idea what that means, but it sounds pretty wild.

Martin Amis? (Sometime around The Information?)

Quote Originally Posted by billl View Post
    Martin Amis? (Sometime around The Information?)
    Nope. Sorry.

These days, this author can be found haunting the neck of the woods of another writer from the list...although I bet nobody accuses him of being an amanuensis for the local blacks.

Blog Entries
    Philip Roth? -his ex wife Claire Bloom gave him the bad review.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 04-17-2012 at 02:13 AM.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    ^ sorry not British.
    ay up