Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Ladies in Literature?

Cat Ladies in Literature?

Hello my fellow book lovers.

I'm working on a semi serious article on crazy cat ladies, essentially trying to route out whether or not the stereotype is justified. I'd like to get your help on exploring the origins of the character. Has she appeared in any books that you've read? What about witches as the first ostracized cat ladies?

Thanks in advance.
    This is the comic I write: http://www.snmcomics.com/
    It's where crude toilet humor somehow meets snobby literature allusions.

Blog Entries
    I cannot say that I know off the top of my head any books I have read which involve crazy cat lady characters though I think the connection as witches as being the first cat ladies is quite an interesting thought.

I can provide this link which gives some good information abbot the folkloric connection between cats and witches

http://www.shanmonster.com/witch/familiar/cat.html

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Pussy Galore, in Ian Fleming's Goldfinger (a James Bond novel) is a lesbian criminal gang-leader who has a collection of lesbian hench-women. There's a good chance you had thought of this one, but just in case...

She isn't "crazy" (she is actually rather Machiavellian and pragmatic), but she is an outsider, and perhaps a little unpredictable.
    Last edited by billl; 09-08-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Are you interested more in the relationship between woman and cat, or on crazy shut-in "Cat Ladies" in general?

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    How about the cat lady from Simpsons:

~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    How about the cat lady from Simpsons
    That character is a perfect example of the injustices done to this hallowed group of proud, upstanding individuals. Shame on you for mentioning it here.

Blog Entries
    So you're asking for characters that were "crazy cat ladies", rather than female authors who were fond of cats?

How about Neil Gaiman's version of the cat goddess Bast in his Sandman graphic novels? She also appears in his novel American Gods in a nice erotic and dreamlike scene.
    All aboard. All souls at half-mast. Aye-Aye. -Samuel Beckett, More Pricks Than Kicks

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm trying to walk the fine line of defending regular women who like cats from the stereotype, while exploring the effects of the truly ill animal hoarders who harm their cats and themselves. Also I'd like explore the origins of the phrase and character. that's where the literature aspect comes in.
    This is the comic I write: http://www.snmcomics.com/
    It's where crude toilet humor somehow meets snobby literature allusions.

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchegan View Post
    I'm trying to walk the fine line of defending regular women who like cats from the stereotype, while exploring the effects of the truly ill animal hoarders who harm their cats and themselves.
    For the latter half of that definition, I may have a figure who works. In The Once and Future King, Morgause - who is definitely a witch - kills at least one cat to make a love potion. I wouldn't, however, define her as a cat lady, since she doesn't seem to hang out with many cats and is just as willing to kill them (and any other useful animals) as cuddle them.
    Ecce quam bonum et jocundum, habitares libros in unum!
    ~Robert Greene, Friar Bacon and Friar Bungay

Blog Entries
    From working in the veterinary field, I can tell you that cat hoarding really exists too. There are people out there who compulsively bring in street cats. I don't think these people are really "crazy," but maybe slightly obsessive about their need to rescue strays.

Truth is full of pain Superalicat's Avatar
    I am a bit crazy and I love cats, cant help it. I would horde them as well if it wasn't so harmful for them. I know why I would horde them, its because I need to know they are safe, therefor I don't.

Blog Entries
    Agatha Christie used two cat ladies:
    *Miss Caroline Percehouse in "The Sittaford Mystery" owns five cats. Her nephew Garfield says: "I think it's just the kind of thing old maids grow into. I hate the brutes."
    *Mrs Hemmings in "The Clocks" owns countless cats.

Shoot, Mrs d'Uberville from Hardy's Tess (Alec's mother) would have worked well, if only Hardy hadn't made her a bird-lady...

What may interst you though is Minoes, a children's book by Dutch writer Annie MG Schmidt about a cat who changed into a woman, who subsequently saves the job of a journalist who can't find any news to write about by getting all kinds of gossip from the cat-world. Lovely book. I read it several times, and there are only a handful of books that got that honour. Maybe it's not translated in English, but a film was made of it which was one of the most popular Dutch children's films abroad. I'm sure there must be DVD somewhere. If ever there is a cat-lady it's that one.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Hello Manchegan,

I'm interested about this topic also. I did some research on the origins of the crazy cat lady stereotype

You can read the piece if you Google "debunking the crazy cat lady stereotype" - it's on the Cheshire & Wain blog.

let me know if it's of any help or interest. I know you started this thread a while ago now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast