Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When thinking of reading a book, what most affects your decision?

When thinking of reading a book, what most affects your decision?

I think this is a relevant question. I have found, for instance, that on average the best fantasy writers seem to come from Australia, and the worst (not being mean or racist) come from America. But there are quite a few other things people do that influences their decision-
    Media interest, Previously written books, references by other authors, what wikipedia has to say about them, their education or outspoken beliefs can all affect whether I look at a book or not.

What about you?
    http://www.billionmindsunited.com - The entire world united to create a book written by billions of people from all around the world.

Well, if I've read something by the same author that I liked, I'm likely to read another one of his or her works. I'll take recommendations into consideration from friends with the same interests as me. I read the blurb and see if it can arouse my interest (I read about the content, I'm not really interested in reviews or quotes and citations). I'll basically read any book on any subject I'm interested in. I read classics to see what all the fuss is about. I tend to read books that inspired my favourite authors or musicians.
    You know I had brain fever, and that is to be mad.

Voice.
    I want to play. I really, really do.

I have tons of books in my library that I haven't read yet, so sometimes, I'll literally flip a coin, like this: divide my stacks in half, assign 'heads' to one and 'tails' to the other, and keep dividing into two until I get to a book.

But sometimes, I select a book to read based upon my mood, the season, things going on in my life. For example, I just finished Terminal Freeze about events in the North Slope of Alaska, consistent with the season and it's cold and snow. When I'm wound up, I might read a new Discworld book to make me laugh and unwind.

To be honest, I usually choose books based on the author's reputation. If I repeatedly hear an author being praised, I will at least consider looking into it. I look for praise from people on here or others like us, not necessarily the NY Times flavor of the month. If I like one book by an author I will read others by them. I also know that, for instance, I like Vonnegut's witty, satirical style so I look for authors who are said to be similar. Lastly, I like to read authors from a variety of times and places, a diverse selection. This led me to Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, which was a very good book in my opinion.

Also, I've purchased numerous books from Amazon through their "Amazon Recommends for You" feature.

Blog Entries
    First and foremost is an obvious one. The book will have to sound like something I might actually be interested in reading. If I hear of a book which catches my attention and makes me think I want to read it, the first thing I will do is read the back cover, or look up a synopsis online for it.

If that is not enough to completely sell me on the book, or altogether deter me from reading it, than I will look up reviews and comments left by other people who have read the book to get a better idea about the book. And while I will not base my own decision just on whether or not someone else liked it or disliked it, reading thoughts from a variety of different people on a book can help give me a better idea of the book. As well if the majority of the people who read it all gave it like a one star rating or if they all raved about how great it was, that will give me a better sense if it is worth my own time.

I will also sometimes refer to my sister on books, if I happen to notice her reading something, or know she had read something that I have heard about and was curious about, I will ask her what she thought/thinks of it because we have very similar taste in books.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

This forum is quite an influence. The internet in general, there is no one in my day to day life i discuss books with so i tend to find out about things from researching on the internet. Then there is the endless links of authors themselves, when my favourite writers recommend something i tend to believe them.

spiritus ubi vult spirat weltanschauung's Avatar
    pretty pictures, obviously.

The book I would look the coolest reading.

Usually the cover attracts me and the thickness, I am not interested in reading looong books. And I always read the back cover for comments.

Blog Entries
    Whims, mostly. "Winter of our discontent, cool title. Steinbeck? Haven't read him in a while. Neat."
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    I divine my next book selection by casting chicken bones and reading the omens.

Or, on random whims.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    I divine my next book selection by casting chicken bones and reading the omens.

Or, on random whims.
    I should start consulting my Oujia Board next time I am not sure what to read next

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Banned
    Blog Entries
    One thing, and one thing only: the cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast