Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the White Male Under Attack?

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Old strategy this. white males typically scapegoat minorities for what they can't handle. its called crying to mama
    That is indeed not an exaggeration. As I have shown in previous posts, variables such as hate crimes against whites have decreased significantly in the past 15 years. It is because of the current state of the economy that it is socially predictable that certain groups will try to blame their problems on minorities. (I hate using Nazi Germany examples, but that is what Germany did in reaction to the deep economic depression they found themselves in after WWI. They scapegoated the Jewish people as greedy capitalists who had stolen all of their money.)

That was not what I meant in the first place, I meant that when all minorities get together, then the white man will be in the minority and, by your own inference, will be discriminated against because he is a minority.
    Secondly, if you don't believe that blacks will gang up a gainst a single white guy, you are in serious need of an some real education, as opposed to the liberal pap you ,and countless others, have been fed for the last four or five decades. Rascism, Shmacism grow up and get real.
    Yeah let's go back to those good old days fifty years ago when we got things like this:

Oh those good old days! So much less liberal.

if you don't believe that blacks will gang up a gainst a single white guy, you are in serious need of an some real education,
    I don't think it is me who needs an education. I am nothing up shocked and appalled that you would say such an ignorant thing about blacks. They're humans too you know! You have insulted every single black man or women alive and you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Last edited by DanielBenoit; 09-05-2010 at 06:37 PM.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    R e m i n d e r

Please do not personalise your arguments.

If you do not like your views to be challenged or questioned, please refrain from sharing them with other on a public forum.

Posts containing political and/or inflammatory/personal remarks will be deleted without further notice.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Livin' in Slow Motion Hurricane's Avatar
    Warning, the following post is a bit rambling.

I think "affirmative action" does a disservice to everybody, especially those it's meant to "help," but it's been overblown and misrepresented, as has this whole concept of "white male victimization." For the record, I think giving a hiring advantage or "extra points" to a minority/female is wrong, but I also think it's been overblown. I'll find stats and post them later.

Some institutions get wrapped around the axle about appearing diverse (for an example, see every college or university's promotional pamphlets...) and might try to purposely skew the numbers, but I don't know that it really makes a huge difference in the end if they get accepted because of the automatically negative attention they get.

I'm a white female (though a drunk guy thought I was Hispanic once), and I know that I get perceived differently than my classmates and friends because I'm a girl, and that it's usually negative. I've had people tell me, to my face, "You only got in here because you're a female."
    Thanks. Maybe it was because I was a four year varsity athlete, two year team captain, involved in student government, stage manager for school productions, and consistent honor student who got outstanding recommendations and rockin' SAT scores(among other things)?
    But, because there's a perception that there's some sort of diversity quota, people assume I'm here because I'm a girl (my school's only about 20% female) and that I'm otherwise incompetent, fat, and dumb.
    Same, or worse, goes for my friends that are non-white, and all the white dudes complain about how they're "victimized."

Does it matter if you get the job or get into a prestigious college because you're Black/Hispanic/Asian/whatever if all of your co-workers go behind your back and say "Oh, he only got the job because of ____" and you're immediately presumed incompetent just because of the color of your skin or your gender? Have these people who complain about victimization considered that maybe there's just more and more competent and better educated minorities/females out there now than there were even twenty or thirty years ago?
    It's not that hard to get into college, or even to get into a good college. Maybe work harder and whine less?
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    That was not what I meant in the first place, I meant that when all minorities get together, then the white man will be in the minority and, by your own inference, will be discriminated against because he is a minority.
    Secondly, if you don't believe that blacks will gang up against a single white guy, you are in serious need of an some real education, as opposed to the liberal pap you, and countless others, have been fed for the last four or five decades. Rascism, Shmacism, grow up and get real. It's late and I'm going to bed now but I will deal firmly with any further liberal nonsense in the morning.

Pleasant dreams.
    With the population of white people being around 75% in the US, and 81% in the UK, that would be quite the achievement by the minorities if they could manage to defy reality and become the majority.

The fact of the matter is that statistically, there is still an institutional barrier against minority groups. The attempt to play victim is merely fear mongering and ridiculous.

Edit: I'll believe the white man is being disfavored when it can actually be shown that white men are still not making more money, getting the best jobs, and continuing to prosper. If the system is discriminating against whites, it's not doing it right.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 09-05-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    With the population of white people being around 75% in the US, and 81% in the UK, that would be quite the achievement by the minorities if they could manage to defy reality and become the majority.

The fact of the matter is that statistically, there is still an institutional barrier against minority groups. The attempt to play victim is merely fear mongering and ridiculous.

Edit: I'll believe the white man is being disfavored when it can actually be shown that white men are still not making more money, getting the best jobs, and continuing to prosper. If the system is discriminating against whites, it's not doing it right.
    For what it's worth, though whites represent about 66% of the US population now, we're supposed to get "outnumbered" by 2042 or so and be a minority, assuming that the birth rates by race (i.e., minorities generally having more children than whites) continue.*
    But, I think this is not the end of the American way/world that some people seem to think this is because:

1: This assumes that everything will continue the way it is for the next thirty years, without accounting for better sex ed/access to birth control/cultural and economic change/whatever else.
    2: Whites would be a minority, but probably the largest one. There might be more "minorities" total, but whites are still predicted to be about 46% of the population or, in other words, the biggest minority. America would be less white, but more white than any other single demographic.
    3: It assumes that somehow all the minorities would gang up and beat on white people or enslave them or something. Maybe I'm naive, but I kinda doubt that, especially after another 30+ years of hopefully improving race relations. So what, white people aren't going to be the majority anymore.

*Numbers from 2008 Report by US Census Bureau!
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

Blog Entries
    People often make those drastic predictions of overwhelming birth rates amongst minorities, but research shows that the children of immigrants have birthrates identical to others in their income bracket. So, people who extrapolate those birthrates are a little out of line.

I got the 75% from the 2008 census too, the difference in our numbers is because mine don't count Hispanics as non-white:

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Yeah, roger that. I just find it funny when I hear people freak out about the de-whitenizing of the US when it's probably not going to happen that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BienvenuJDC View Post
    Yes, I do. Not comparable to the racial injustices from the 1960s, but yes, there are just as many social injustices for the white man today as the black man (etc) today, but now they are supported by societal establishments.

Do you realize that there are many jobs awarded to minorities (simply because they are a minority)? Have you ever heard of Minority Owned Businesses (and Woman Owned Businesses)? They have preference over those that are owned by white males. So, in answer to your question...yes, yes, I do.

Furthermore, minorities are awarded extra points in the Civil Servant tests because they are black. These are not the only examples.
    Wow. This is outrageous, and as already noted, not supported by actual evidence, or anything like that.

Current US unemployment rate is 8.7%
    Current US unemployment rate for black Americans is 16.3%

Damn those minorities taking our jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    So, the white female is safe?

Thank Heavens for that!
    Define "safe".

Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    Wow. This is outrageous, and as already noted, not supported by actual evidence, or anything like that.

Current US unemployment rate is 8.7%
    Current US unemployment rate for black Americans is 16.3%

Damn those minorities taking our jobs!
    It would be good if you actually had a clue what I was talking about, but since you want to jest, you missed it. I had NO reference to EMPLOYMENT. I was talking about businesses (especially construction trades) trying to win bids. You obviously missed that.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

It would be good if you actually had a clue what I was talking about, but since you want to jest, you missed it. I had NO reference to EMPLOYMENT. I was talking about businesses (especially construction trades) trying to win bids. You obviously missed that.
    No, I did see it, but if it were true, it would be reflected in unemployment.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    Yeah let's go back to those good old days fifty years ago when we got things like this:
    No one denies that these things occurred, but that is not what is being disputed. The term "liberal" is neither good or bad, but the extent of the ideology is the issue. But the issue at hand is what is occurring now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    No, I did see it, but if it were true, it would be reflected in unemployment.
    No...it wouldn't, but I'm not going to try to argue that point with you.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As usual, both sides here have a pretty good baseline point. The effects of America's (and I can only speak for us) historical race/sexism haven't all dissipated. They're still around causing problems. And many laws and social trends are helping to alleviate those historical wounds.

It's also true that the white man is everyone's *******. And some of the legal and social measures taken to fix the historical wounds seem pretty hypocritical because, well, they are.

Quick story: I was on a screening committee for an English professor position at my college. We ended up hiring a white woman, but one of the members of the committee said that she "tried like hell" to get "some color up here" (I work in a rural college). And later one of the uppity-ups said that next time we should hire a less-qualified minority and "teach him/her up" so that we can "get some more diversity".

I gulped. And kept my yap shut.

I'm not using my story here to justify the baloney of a liberal media conspiracy. . . .just that the pendulum of racial preferences ticks and tocks these days. Ticks and tocks.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think "affirmative action" does a disservice to everybody, especially those it's meant to "help," but it's been overblown and misrepresented, as has this whole concept of "white male victimization." For the record, I think giving a hiring advantage or "extra points" to a minority/female is wrong, but I also think it's been overblown. I'll find stats and post them later.

Some institutions get wrapped around the axle about appearing diverse (for an example, see every college or university's promotional pamphlets...) and might try to purposely skew the numbers, but I don't know that it really makes a huge difference in the end if they get accepted because of the automatically negative attention they get.

I agree that "affirmative action" does a disservice to all concerned and is essentially institutionalized racism... the Orwellian terminology be damned. It is simply part of the misguided attempts by some to change the past, rather than focus on the present and the future. We get the same crap in education with the efforts to promote falsified history in the belief that this will change things. I'm not interested in seeking out documentation of the racism involved in "affirmative action" but yes it does exist. Recently there was the info released by a disgruntled college employee that documented the fact that prospective Asian students needed to score well above Black, Hispanic... and White students because the college felt there were far too many Asian students in comparison to their percentage within the overall population. In my own school district there have been repeated efforts to establish a quota where a set percentage of all construction contracts must be awarded to minority-owned businesses regardless of who makes the best bid or is the best qualified.

Having said this... I work in a school district that services students who are predominantly minority. Seeing the lives and the obstacles that these students face there is no way to suggest that racism is dead or that white America is losing... for there is no way these kids are "winning." There are any number of issues that come into play... from the memory of slavery, the lack of a supportive community and family, generational poverty exasperated by the Welfare state, drugs, alcohol, etc... One thing we all might do well to recognize is the psychology behind motivation. America has benefited more than is ever recognized from immigration (in spite of the stupidity of conservative efforts to curtail immigration). When one considers just what is entailed in abandoning one's homeland, language, customs, etc... and traveling to a new nation one recognizes the motivation that already exists with most immigrants. Thus it is not surprising that these same outsiders rapidly assimilate and move up in American society... often starting their own businesses... stressing the importance of education to the children. This is not the reality of Black Americans... most of whom trace their heritage to forced slavery followed by generations of institutionalized racism... Jim Crow laws... etc...

Again... I feel "affirmative action" is totally misguided... and only increases racial tensions and hatreds. What I do believe, however, is that the nation owes it to every child living in poverty... in the Black and Hispanic urban schools and in white Appalachia... to invest far more in education... in early childhood development, in after-school programs, in offering day-care to working parents, in giving students enrichment experiences (trips to the museums, zoos, colleges, etc...) than they currently do to assure every child has an equal opportunity.
    Last edited by stlukesguild; 09-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I do. Not comparable to the racial injustices from the 1960s, but yes, there are just as many social injustices for the white man today as the black man (etc) today, but now they are supported by societal establishments.
    What's the problem then? If there are just as many problems for each of them, no one is being discriminated against.

"De white man is de mule uh de world"

Poor, poor white man... how badly you are oppressed. Will someone please stand up for your rights?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast