Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: "I have a dream. . . ."

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"I have a dream. . . ."

The greatest speech given in America during the 20th century. It is both a joyous thing to see how far we've gone, but also a sad thing to see how little we've been able to progress at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

Just as a interesting fact: MLK in fact improvised the infamous "I have a dream" theme apparently after gospel singer Mahalia Jackson cried out "Tell them about the dream, Martin!" It is truly soul-shaking how great a speaker he was, and unlike the other great speaker of the 20th century, Adolf Hitler, he spoke for peace and justice for all people.

God bless you MLK and your legacy.

The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

It is a wonderful speech, and a wonderful day in history for what it stands for. Videos, and audio of that speech are still inspiring.
    Nothing, nothing is certain, except the insignificance of everything I can comprehend and the grandeur of something incomprehensible but most important" -Andrei Bolkonsky
    "But, I didn't do anything"- Professor Lawrence Gopnik
    "Cat in the wall, eh? Okay, now you're talking my language. I know this game." -Charlie Kelly

When I was teaching ESL in D.C., I decided to try this speech out on some relatively advanced students. I prepped them on some vocabulary and some of the events referred to, and then played the mp3 on the computer (it was the days before youtube). Of course, they all knew who he was (and they were from several different countries) but the speech blew them away. "I Have A Dream" is powerful and inspiring, and he's a magnificent speaker, of course. The students were proud and sort of thrilled, I could tell, that they were able to directly understand such a famous speaker giving such an historic speech in this new (to them) language. It's a message that can move people in all times and places, and I was pretty moved and proud as well, for several reasons, as we all listened and reacted to the audio.

Blog Entries
    Oh, God the desire to dip into contemporary politics and ***** about Glenn Beck.

Instead, here's a song, in memory of Dr. King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhnPVP23rzo

Blog Entries
    Daniel, you present an excellent point about Adolf Hitler ( a man whom by my opinion was a wicked as they come...maybe there are some more so). Being a great speaker isn't always being a great and (benevolent) leader for the masses...however, the masses will follow them all the same (because they are able to sway them with powerful words). I do agree that MLK did push for peace, and it is a shame that he didn't have more life to attribute. But sometimes martyrs can do more for a cause BECAUSE of their death and sacrifice. Do you suppose that many white people may have STOPPED to THINK after his death? Would that speech have been as powerful without his sacrifice? I think that it was powerful, but maybe even more so now?
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Powerful moment, no doubt, greatest speech of the 20th century? well, even King I think gave better ones.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    It is truly soul-shaking how great a speaker he was, and unlike the other great speaker of the 20th century, Adolf Hitler, he spoke for peace and justice for all people.
    The patriot in me is wondering what happened to Winston Churchill? There was a series of radio programmes the other week remembering the Battle of Britain, and Churchill's speeches are still as eloquent and powerful as they ever where.

But I digress. King's legacy is a great one, and it is a moving and powerful speech, though I'm not aware of any other speeches he made (the failings of a British education that focussed on Winny, perhaps?). Without wishing to get political, it does seem that these days we have no great speakers on the world stage. There was an article about it in the paper the other week, lamenting a culture that now depends upon soundbites - perhaps a bit overwrought, but I can understand the sentiment.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    The patriot in me is wondering what happened to Winston Churchill? There was a series of radio programmes the other week remembering the Battle of Britain, and Churchill's speeches are still as eloquent and powerful as they ever where.

But I digress. King's legacy is a great one, and it is a moving and powerful speech, though I'm not aware of any other speeches he made (the failings of a British education that focussed on Winny, perhaps?). Without wishing to get political, it does seem that these days we have no great speakers on the world stage. There was an article about it in the paper the other week, lamenting a culture that now depends upon soundbites - perhaps a bit overwrought, but I can understand the sentiment.
    Churchill hired an actor to deliver it, so do we count that?

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Powerful moment, no doubt, greatest speech of the 20th century? well, even King I think gave better ones.
    Yeah, like his anti-imperialism speech at Riverside Church "Why I Am Opposed to the War in Vietnam." April 30, 1967.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    Oh, God the desire to dip into contemporary politics and ***** about Glenn Beck.
    Hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing. Fight it, fiiight it!
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi