anecdotes and riddles,
    Zen koans. The body dances,
    although that, too,
    is an anecdote of the spirit.

Do you need to know
    why you dance, or why
    you sometimes cast a backward glance
    where there is nothing to be seen?
    Last edited by PrinceMyshkin; 08-26-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    I fail to be informed enough to review some of your work Prince. you are a reminder of my humble and limited education...

although the last stanza makes me think of why I look both ways down a one street.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Sheffield, South Yorks, England. Tha knows.
    Blog Entries
    Speechless in admiration! I bow humbly.
    Dafydd Manton, A Legend In His Own Lunchtime!! www.dafydd-manton.co.uk

My Work Has Been Spread Over Many Fields!

currently, stuttgart, but back to berlin in may
    the last stanza is breathtaking! the meaning of the poem is somewhat beyond me at this point in time, and from a purely verbal aesthetic sense it does not appeal to me much; but that last stanza is glorious, glorious!
    Deviantart - http://steel6.deviantart.com
    Flickr - http://flickr.com/photos/eqta

and i bet she told, a million people that she'd stay in touch, and all those little promises that don't mean much, when theres memories to be made and i hope you're holding hands by new years eve, it makes it far to easy to believe, that true romance cant be achieved, these days..

only ones who know - arctic monkeys

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MGK View Post
    the meaning of the poem is somewhat beyond me at this point in time, !
    I'll second that. But I like the flow of it and also the last stanza. Does it say to go with the flow and not analyze things too much?

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love this one, Prince. It is seriously good and speaks volumes.

Best, H

the past is gone, the relevance is personal, the questions distracting.

That is what I see in this.

Song

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Many, many thanks Delta, Song of Mercy, Hawkman, Sleepy Witch, MGK and Dafy...

But, Song, no it doesn't particularly refer to the vanished past but to those emanations we receive or seem to receive, various examples of which are splashed all over these pages under many different pseudonyms.

Blog Entries
    The part about swallowing the flame puts me in mind of 'The Road' by Cormac Mccarthy, where the father talks to his son about carrying the fire within you. The fire is never really explained, but we all know what it is, i think. Something to do with courage and bravery and perseverance. I don't know if this is what you meant in your poem, Prince, but that's just what came to mind.

I seem to remember you sending me that quote by Rothko but i never did get around to writing a piece inspired by it. I think i may try to do that in the next few days, the quote is really good.

I love to think that dancing is an anecdote of the spirit. In that sense, isn't all we do an anecdote of our spirit?

Wonderful poem Prince.
    'For sale: baby shoes, never worn'. Hemingway

Blog Entries
    Things learnt today following a reading of Prince's poem
    1/ Mark Rothko is a Russian born American painter of the abstract. (Not for me, after a glance at his work)
    2/Zen Koans are ideas that cannot be understood by rational thought, but may be deciphered through intuition.
    3/ I know little

My googling has helped me make some more sense of your poem, I think, Prince, or maybe like a zen koan, it's to be admired and understood more intuitively.
    Your work can never be speed-read Prince. And who wants to be speed-read?
    kind regards
    Jerry

I'm with most of your readers on this one, Prince..... waiting to untangle the riddle. I'll also join in their praise for that final stanza - the use of rhyme adds a touch of the sublime.

However, I will say something that I've never said before about one of your pieces - it could do with a slight trim (shock horror - that's blank|verse's influence for you).
    I felt the second and third verses could be condensed and combined to better effect. You are the master of the cryptic and the minimalist and the enigmatic, and these two look in need of a little more of your tender touch.

H

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks, Breathtest and Jerrybaldly.

Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    I'm with most of your readers on this one, Prince..... waiting to untangle the riddle. I'll also join in their praise for that final stanza - the use of rhyme adds a touch of the sublime.

However, I will say something that I've never said before about one of your pieces - it could do with a slight trim (shock horror - that's blank|verse's influence for you).
    I felt the second and third verses could be condensed and combined to better effect. You are the master of the cryptic and the minimalist and the enigmatic, and these two look in need of a little more of your tender touch.

H
    Without in the least resenting your comment re trimming the 2nd & 3rd verses, I would like to say only that I'm proud of my craft in this poem. In my admittedly subjective view, it reads like a good piece of carpentry, all the joints mitered together without the need for glue or nails.

Of course, respecting both your own poems and your critiques as much as I do, I'm disappointed that it doesn't work for you.

As for the "riddle" in it, it's as clearly stated as I could make it, in what to me was Rothko's marvelous aphorism. The spirit, that is, has its vignettes to tell and does so via art of one form or another. Rothko regarded his somewhat cryptic, graphically non-representational paintings, as metaphysical statements. Some viewers have been noted to break into tears on viewing the originals.
    Last edited by PrinceMyshkin; 08-26-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post
    I'm disappointed that it doesn't work for you.
    It does work for me Prince, and although the riddle took some time to unravel I did get there in the end (as is so often the case with your gems - they take some re-reading to fully appreciate).

As one who often doesn't know when to cut back, I'm now in that difficult position where I see other writers' work and constantly ask myself could this be trimmed? That's what I did here - I don't deny your craft. It was a comment made in good faith and thanks for your response.

I know the next piece I post is going to get shot down in flames for being too long..... I might stick with a limerick!

H

Employee of the Month blank|verse's Avatar
    (shock horror - that's blank|verse's influence for you).
    Shock horror - hillwalker encourages others to edit poems!!

(Only joking hill, old chap.) This is a brilliant piece, Prince, particularly the first two stanzas.

I know what hill is saying though - for me, the first two stanzas somewhat overshadow the rest of the poem, which is more didactic, and not quite as palatable. I presume hill is in part referring to the repetition of 'is just a metaphor', which does stick out a bit once noticed.

In fact - and this is perhaps a bit too harsh - but the more I consider it, the more I would like stanzas one and two enlarged, and three and four, dare I say, discarded. I think there is enough there with the Rothko epigraph for the reader to understand the bold, brilliant metaphors, which are the great strengths of the poem.

And as it's based on Rothko, part of me would like that to be reflected in the poem's form - two blocks of contrasting stanzas, with a break in the middle - a bit like a traditional sonnet. (And come to think of it, Rothko's paintings have a sonnet-like quality to them which might relate to the Fibonacci ratio, in the same way sonnets are said to.)

Anyway, for expressing Rothko's illuminating quote in such an articulate way, the poem has great merit. A pleasure to read.

Still, on a chalk plateau Bar22do's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post

“Art to me is an anecdote of the spirit.” Mark Rothko

“Here,” he says, over his shoulder
    as he leaves the room,
    passing a key behind him.

But a “key” is just a metaphor.
    Until you swallow the flame,
    “fire” is just a metaphor.

The spirit sends us
    anecdotes and riddles,
    Zen koans. The body dances,
    although that, too,
    is an anecdote of the spirit.

Do you need to know
    why you dance, or why
    you sometimes cast a backward glance
    where there is nothing to be seen?
    And some say, the whole "visible" universe is an anecdote of the spirit, best expressed in the Art of all Arts - the Art of Living.

A beautiful poem (except for my usual reservation as to the didactic element), inspired by a beautiful quote. Rothko's art is unique, for sure. Thanks a lot.

Best regards - Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast