Thread: short stories you like

short stories you like

Hello everyone:

I am going to translate some short stories from English to my language. So, I am looking for great stories. I would like to ask you to recommend me the stories you like.
    You will be very appreciated if you can tell me a little about why do you like the stories. Just tell me whatever you think it's worth to read or translate to other language.
    I speak in a small language and there are a few stories and books translated in it.
    Thank you!

All of the short stories written by American writer Annie Proulx, she is a wonderful writer. Full of very earthy cowboy type characters and lots of very interesting and endearing situations'.

Rejecter of philosophy Fuzzy_duck's Avatar
    The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe . It's my favorite.

I translated a short comical story once. I felt pretty good about myself afterward. Here it is:

" I had witnessed a health inspection, of never before seen strangeness . White represents innocents since the world begun, but that tall fat guy managed to ruin the legend.
    - And you miss?...Where is your hair cap?
    The waitress doesn't get worried, instead she asks for some details.
    - With red salad or green salad?
    The health inspector dressed in a white jumper shrugs , meaning that red salad, green salad, doesn't matter, what matters is tidiness and good hygiene is what matters.
    I understood that objects, were nothing more than a secret cipher, through which the health inspector expressed his preferences, without taking a penny out of his pocket.
    The waiters new how to decipher his admonitions promptly. They knew that lack of a protection suit meant a bottle of wine on ice, absence of toilet paper meant some garlic sauce on the fried chicken, fried chicken brought in the world thanks to the mess in the kitchen , and so on.
    At the end of the meal, the exigent health care team ordered a small coffee, this time with no objection, when suddenly one of them starts to yell.
    - Oi! whats with this hair in my garlic sauce ?!
    As a matter of fact, the garlic sauce was eaten long ago, however this hair, the evidence of guilt, remained intact, and all the restaurant staff was invited to verify its authenticity. But the staff is still not alarmed. They not that the inspectors want something to take home.
    - We have splendid veal.
    The man with the hair in the garlic sauce is still thinking about his work duties.
    - All right, but it better be fresh, otherwise I'll fine your *** so hard...
    To the staff's happiness, the veal was very fresh."
    ---
    Fragment from "Mrs. Voltaire", written by Teodor Mazilu , translated for the first time by me hope you like it

The Black Monk - Anton Chekhov
    Latest Blog: An Impassioned and Immediate Response to Dan Hodges, Political Writer, Daily Telegraph.
    http://britishpharaoh.wordpress.com/