Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Poster/Print Suggestions

Poster/Print Suggestions

I'm going to be moving into my first apartment in a little over a week and I'm starting to give thought to how I'd like to decorate my room. I'm a Classical Literature major so I was thinking I'd like to put a print or two of paintings that have to deal with classical Greek or Roman subjects preferably the Iliad and Odyssey. I'm not exactly sure where to start so I thought I'd ask the opinions of those on the forums. Thanks!
    Last edited by Zach J.; 08-15-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach J. View Post
    I'm going to be moving into my first apartment in a little over a week and I'm starting to give thought to how I'd like to decorate my room. I'm a Classical Literature major so I was thinking I'd like to put a print or two of paintings that have to deal with classical Greek or Roman subjects preferably the Iliad and Odyssey. I'm not exactly sure where to start so I thought I'd ask the opinions of those on the forums. Thanks!
    You might like to google Lawrence Alma-Tadema's paintings. Classical Rome is the foundation of much of his work but I don't know if he specifically painted scenes from the Odyssey.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've also been looking at the work of Nicholas Cann. He has a print of Poseidon that I really like, but I've had trouble finding any information about the artist himself.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Zach,

Here is one I stumbled upon last year while under the influence of Homer’s “Illiad”:

Federico Barocci “Aeneas Flees Burning Troy” :

Gilliatt
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

That is a wonderful picture, Gilliat Gurgle. I won't be reading the Aeneid until later this year, but that painting definitely has me pumped for it. Thanks for the recommendation!