Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adverbs and Adjectives in Writing

Okay, I will use the paragraph that has bogged me down.

"One of my aunts told me about the albino baby boy abandoned right after he was born by his horrified parents who had not seen a “floured face” in their entire lives. They panicked, and the father hurriedly took him near the rocky cliffs where the white-throated swifts glided and nested. Below was the drying lake where he intended to throw his son but could not do so. The curse of murdering a newborn was the most severe, so he decided to leave it to the spirits dwelling in the hollow rocks and to the serene goddess of the lake, Lawa, to decide if his son should live. He placed the sleeping baby in the wild lavender bushes unclothed and uncovered and left with nothing on his side, not even a bottle of water or a towel to dry his navel still uncut, unclosed, and untied; still moist and pink from blood, like a fresh blade wound."

I liked the series of adjectives when I wrote it, but when I reread it, it sounded like I was too lazy to expound it.

Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by miyako73; 08-02-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    My tip - never use adverbs. It will make you a better writer because you will have to learn to show the reader how characters do things rather than tell.

H
    I love this tip!! I used to think I know a lot about writing, but I stand corrected! Thanks for the tips, Hill!

I love adverbs and even more adjectives and so I would use them sparingly but I will definitely use them.
    A word is there to be used.
    Every word has a meaning and every meaning plays a role.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    I'll say...never say never...absolute positions are "always"...(mostly)...wrong...
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    In creative writing adjectives & adverbs should be fornicating on the page! Writing is an act of procreation! Writing is a form of sex!

Unless you're writing a book of used car repair. Then use correct grammar. Listen to the traditionalists.
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry, plays, novels, & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12