Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book Club on the Romantics?

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    I don't want to overwhelm you with more advice--you're already are getting plenty of good suggestions from others it looks like--but I do want to encourage this idea. OrphanPip asked for a more "organic" approach for the thread's development, but I think that can lead to the thread fizzling. Really, it appears that threads need someone who's committed to lead the discussion. They need to introduce new material and generally facilitate conversation. I think some of the more successful threads like Janine's DH Lawrence Short Story Thread (http://www.online-literature.com/for...37250&page=180), Dark Muse's Poe Thread (http://www.online-literature.com/for...=37422&page=16), and even my Chekhov Short Story Thread way back ago (http://www.online-literature.com/for...=17728&page=72) all worked because there was someone keeping the thread alive, responding to posters, and introducing topics. Having someone select the works and maybe even lead discussion might be a good idea.
    Okay, that sounds like a good idea. I trust others' experience over my own in this matter. If we address the Big Six, and only the Big Six, then perhaps we could elect up to six different leaders to direct a discussion on each. I could lead a discussion on Keats, but I don't feel nearly as familiar with the other Romantics.

I also think contextual aids are very helpful - to show how the early Romantics diverged from their predecessors, and how the second generation diverged from the first - so when someone directs a discussion on a particular poet, they can opt to throw in some contextual poems as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III
    I agree we should do them chronologically, however with small changes. Here is my proposed order.

1) Wordsworth - the best introduction to english romanticism

2) Byron

3) Shelley

4) Collerige

5) Keats

6) Blake
    I like this order, with one objection. Wordsworth and Coleridge were contemporary, and both contributed to Lyrical Ballads. Do you think it would be better to discuss Coleridge after Wordsworth? What's your reason for making him fourth on the roster?

Banned
    I suggest to make him fourth on the roster as in my opinion wordworth and colleridge have similar styles, so to put Byron and Shelley in-between gives a healthy mix and allows us to appreciate the different styles and compare them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    I suggest to make him fourth on the roster as in my opinion wordworth and colleridge have similar styles, so to put Byron and Shelley in-between gives a healthy mix and allows us to appreciate the different styles and compare them better.
    Oh, okay, I see. Then I'm also in agreement with your order. I think this will also help prevent Coleridge from being overshadowed by Wordsworth.

---

When I get home (I'm at work right now haha) I will create the discussion thread. But before I do so I need to know - who would like to lead the discussion on Wordsworth? Unless there are any last-minute objections, I plan to composite the advice posted in this thread, with the following approach:

We will have up to six discussion leaders who will direct the discussions on the poets. The order will be as Alexander III proposed. It will be housed in a single thread with some title indicating that it is a discussion on the Romantics (and not any particular poet). It will not merely be a discussion on six separate poets, but a discussion of the period through the eyes of these poets, with comparisons and context thrown in. It will also be decidedly British. Once we decide on someone to lead Wordsworth I will create the thread and announce the first discussion leader.

(I'm not sure how long the discussion on each will last - we can either employ a set time or keep an eye out for waning interest - but we can decide this once it's running. Different poets may also require different amounts of time to discuss.)
    Last edited by ktm5124; 07-29-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am currious how are we going to pick/decide which poems to read by each author.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I am currious how are we going to pick/decide which poems to read by each author.
    There will be a discussion leader for each poet, per Quark's suggestion, and this leader will make all the selections for that poet.

Right now I'm waiting on someone to volunteer for Wordsworth.

Blog Entries
    I would love to volunteer, Wordsworth is my favorite of the Romantics, but unfortunately I will be unavailable during the first week of August.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    I've probably read all the major Romantic poems at some point or other, probably many times over. If you discuss a poem I'm familiar with, I'll be glad to jump in. If you'll have me, that is.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I would be willing to lead a discussion on Wordsworth, but if anyone else wants to do it they are welcome to.

Blog Entries
    I'm waiting for it to start.

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    I would be willing to lead a discussion on Wordsworth, but if anyone else wants to do it they are welcome to.
    Okay, I will create the thread in a couple hours when I get off from work. I'll announce you as the first discussion leader, though if someone else expresses ardent interest you may pass the torch if you want to.

Unfortunately my friend who's out-of-state forgot to pay the internet bill, or something like that, which is why I couldn't post last night, but there is an internet cafe right across the street that I will use... and there is always the local library. I'll be using one or the other to create the thread when I get out of work :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12