Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Freedom ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    I worked for a foster care agency for many years (though not as a social worker), and yes, I'm sure. As the child grows and matures, the love may turn into other things, but a small child loves unconditionally. That's what makes child abuse probably the greatest form of betrayal.
    I think a child does love unconditionally, it is only later that resentment at abuse grows problematic.

I love my freedom very much
    to me freedom is, do what you want nothing much of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bessie11 View Post
    I love my freedom very much
    to me freedom is, do what you want nothing much of this.
    Modesty in all things, hey Bessie11? If modesty was a virtue, there would be more of it. Even still vanity is a big problem, and there is a lot of it. To me, freedom from error is freedom which means that we are never quite free to do as we please: a duty to one's self is a nothing.

Where are we free? Let us not confine us to a set of political, social or other ideals and let us make it an open discussion with no preoccupations. Tell me when you are free? You are never free in actuality and you are simply pretenders and your sense of freedom is totally driveling.
    I work in society thinking that I will be free from fear in isolation. I am setting up a family thinking that when I am sick or need love and compassion I will be secured there.

And when I am craving security I am losing part of my freedom to those who provide the security I am seeking. When I want love I can get it through surrender and surrender is a variant of slavery. Then how can we enjoy freedom.

Let us talk about total freedom and we cannot have total freedom and this is just an ideal not a real thing and in reality we are always enslaved.

When I am in office I have to abide by many regulations, directives, systems and by certain standards set for me like disciplines and codes of conducts and this is a chain on me and I call it freedom, the freedom to earn a living, the freedom to define my values , the freedom to realize my dreams, the freedom to have a corporate circle, the freedom to make decent life and enhance the lifestyle. But behind all these freedoms I have to pay a huge price, I cannot enjoy the freedom of not paying my tax, and if the organization needs my work I do not enjoy the freedom of not working.

Life is a full of slaveries. Even in nature you are not free. Imagine how a deer or other wild animals live in constant fear and they have to be prepared for death when a predator invades their herd. They have no freedom to protect their lives.

While I am working I dream of the freedom of being free and dozing off in a cozy room and when I am there out of work I always dream of working laboriously to earn a decent living. When people are single they want spouses and when they have spouses they want to be free from each other's dominances.

When I am on a ranch living with cattle I just dream of being a corporate mogul and when I am a corporate mogul I simply dream of living that pasturing life, carefree in close proximity with nature. I cannot reconcile myself with this sense of freedom and I cannot say when we are really free.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
    Where are we free? Let us not confine us to a set of political, social or other ideals and let us make it an open discussion with no preoccupations. Tell me when you are free? You are never free in actuality and you are simply pretenders and your sense of freedom is totally driveling.
    I work in society thinking that I will be free from fear in isolation. I am setting up a family thinking that when I am sick or need love and compassion I will be secured there.

And when I am craving security I am losing part of my freedom to those who provide the security I am seeking. When I want love I can get it through surrender and surrender is a variant of slavery. Then how can we enjoy freedom.

Let us talk about total freedom and we cannot have total freedom and this is just an ideal not a real thing and in reality we are always enslaved.

When I am in office I have to abide by many regulations, directives, systems and by certain standards set for me like disciplines and codes of conducts and this is a chain on me and I call it freedom, the freedom to earn a living, the freedom to define my values , the freedom to realize my dreams, the freedom to have a corporate circle, the freedom to make decent life and enhance the lifestyle. But behind all these freedoms I have to pay a huge price, I cannot enjoy the freedom of not paying my tax, and if the organization needs my work I do not enjoy the freedom of not working.

Life is a full of slaveries. Even in nature you are not free. Imagine how a deer or other wild animals live in constant fear and they have to be prepared for death when a predator invades their herd. They have no freedom to protect their lives.

While I am working I dream of the freedom of being free and dozing off in a cozy room and when I am there out of work I always dream of working laboriously to earn a decent living. When people are single they want spouses and when they have spouses they want to be free from each other's dominances.

When I am on a ranch living with cattle I just dream of being a corporate mogul and when I am a corporate mogul I simply dream of living that pasturing life, carefree in close proximity with nature. I cannot reconcile myself with this sense of freedom and I cannot say when we are really free.
    good explanation for those who said on earth we are free to do anything. freedom is like a new idol i beleive. people wish to have freedom. freedom from fear, frustrations,punishment etc. but freedom is just like a dream after which people are running blindly. no one is free and slave of many others. but i think one is least slave and enjoying most freedom. Mystic. why i said so? you have read the thread.

Quote : If there is no God, everything is permitted.
    Fyodor Dostoevsky

Quote Originally Posted by usman.khawar View Post
    Quote : If there is no God, everything is permitted.
    Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Quite true in a way.

"Freedom is not free" .....we can't get actual freedom from this world

I'd rather die as a man than live as a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
    Freedom is a word that we all heard and read about and said it a lot.We all have our own versions of this word and it is meaning.

But what is the real meaning of freedom?

Is their an absolute freedom in our world?

Can freedom be conditioned? (applied when it suit us and not applied when it works against us).

Freedom is being at peace with oneself and everything around him despite things in life being "hard" or "time-consuming", whether it's work, school, or family commitments, without anyone to dictate your life and without anyone to regulate how you should live and develop yourself. Freedom is being without trying to be.

If there's evidence of absolute freedom in our world... there is and there isn't. People are free to go about their daily lives and to make their own choices and judgments in some parts of the world, but at the same time, in other parts, freedom is used to control those without it through money and power, that freedom of those part of the system being "false" because of those being controlled by the invisible system itself (i.e.: Money and power controlling a wealthy tycoon/president, giving him the "freedom" to control those below him for a "greater good" or for "personal gain"). Freedom can be conditioned. Without free-will, there is no freedom.
    "We look at the world, at governments, across the spectrum, some with more freedom, some with less. And we observe that the more repressive the State is, the closer life under it resembles Death. If dying is deliverance into a condition of total non-freedom, then the State tends, in the limit, to Death. The only way to address the problem of the State is with counter-Death, also known as Chemistry." -- Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

for informal parlance the word is fine, but if you are to have a philosohpica discussion, its just a confusing proxy.

The word encompasses too many ideas and ultimately doesn't have a moral praxis. The real question is what will increase the net positive emotion of sentient beings. If freedom is a necessary requirement so be it, but freedom in all its permutations can be a double-edged sword. So if freedom runs counter to this, and decreases positive emotions what is the purpose of striving for it?

As another poster said freedom at the very least should be broken into component parts before any meaningful discussion can be had.
    Check out my blog it has basically nothing to do with literature.
    http://slingsandarrowsandtheproudman.blogspot.com/

There is a true story. in short its like a king wish to conqure the world his name was Zulqurnain. finally he conqured all the earth. when he was coming back and every one was welcoming and cheering him for his success. he saw a man sitting aside. He surprised that everyone is coming to him and congratulating him and have some demands from him. so who is that guy who is not even noticing him. He came down from his horse and stood before that guy. he asked him why not you came to me and ask me for something as i m the king of all the world. that guy replied i dont like to ask something from my slave's slave. king was very intelligent as well he surprisingly asked him how can u say that ?? that guy asked him what make you to conqure the world? King replied that was my wish!/..... that guy told him that you are slave of your wish (self). and i have enslaved all my wishes(Self) for the sake of Lord. so you are the slave of my slave. i think that guy was enjoying the most freedom.
    Last edited by usman.khawar; 09-22-2011 at 07:51 AM.

If we define freedom as being free to act independently without outside influence or control, isn't language itself something that makes freedom impossible, since language is a collectively selected system of symbols? As Lacan said, we are being born into language; we exist in the influence of language ever since our birth. Our very thoughts are in unseparable connection with language. Even if we think of language in a wittgenstenian sense (as a collection of language-games), language is still something that can be, to some extend, lead and controlled.

Therefore whoever controls our understanding of a symbol(s) of a language(s), is able to lead/control our thoughts. Think about the use of terms like terrorism and democracy, for instance. A bit more distant example would be the word pagan. As these examples show, the nature of a symbol can be altered in purpose for political means etc.
    De omnibus dubitandum.

Most adults are not strong enough to be free. Most children are strong enough for it,and revel in true freedom. As you get older freedom must be brought with desire and struggle. Freedom is not free. You must fight for your right to party.

A Student
    Quote Originally Posted by IceM View Post
    Freedom is sin. Limited freedom is slavery.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceM View Post
    Sin is a socially unacceptable, but common, act. It is frowned upon. In committing one you distance yourself from others on the basis on conduct and from religious law on the basis of defiance. Doing this creates a spiritual freedom. You are indulging in an experience, a feeling others seek to resist. You break away from religious law is a sense similar to the Americans breaking away from British Parliament prior to the Revolution. One creates from themselves a personal niche that nobody can infringe upon, because there is no standard with evil as there is with good. Hopefully that explanation is sufficient.
    I renounce these comments. We are either slaves to sin or slaves to Christ. There is no freedom in sin. In Christ, there is freedom from sin and condemnation, and in Christ, there is freedom from the control of sin, so now I choose to be free in Christ. And others can too, if they place faith in Jesus as Lord and repent of their sins. Glory to God in the highest.
    Last edited by IceM; 04-04-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234