Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a book

I'm looking for a book

Hello, all,
    I hope you will get what I'm looking for:

I usually write in simple English--simple words, simple structure :'(
    I usually go back to what I wrote and change some words; like, avoid -> evade; relieve-> assuage; stick-> adhere, etc.

So, I would like to read a book, even for several times, to train myself to imitate the book and benefit from it. Either a book, or a writer. I usually prefer short books

Note: English is my second language.

Thanks all in advance!

Hemingway seems like your man.
    "I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult."
    ~E.B. White

i agree with shannon, and oddly enough, its one of the reasons i dont like hemingway all that much.

Why not just read literature in the same way you would in your first language?! Then your English will improve anyway, and you'll have more fun. Just keep a dictionary handy! I would try a variety of authors who are renowned for writing good, straightforward English - Dickens and Twain are good (given your location Huckleberry Finn might be one to start with - it might bear a quick re-reading, if you *really* want to go that route. I just read it and would not mind reading the early 'floating down the river' chapters again today - amazing, I felt like I was actually there.)

If you want to improve your vocabulary, try Dickens. Maybe start with A Christmas Carol, seeing as that's short so you'll easily be able to re-read it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Shannon_ View Post
    Hemingway seems like your man.
    Thanks. The only book I read for Hemingway was The Old Man and the Sea. I will try to read his other famous novels

Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    i agree with shannon, and oddly enough, its one of the reasons i dont like hemingway all that much.
    Do you mean you don't like him because he uses "big" words? I hope they are "big" not archaic. I remembered once I wrote in my paper, the word "amongst" and the professor crossed it out because--as she said--an old word :'(

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    Why not just read literature in the same way you would in your first language?! Then your English will improve anyway, and you'll have more fun. Just keep a dictionary handy! I would try a variety of authors who are renowned for writing good, straightforward English - Dickens and Twain are good (given your location Huckleberry Finn might be one to start with - it might bear a quick re-reading, if you *really* want to go that route. I just read it and would not mind reading the early 'floating down the river' chapters again today - amazing, I felt like I was actually there.)
    HHhmmm, Mark Twain's are full of "slang" words. I read Huckleberry Finn, and long time ago Tom Sawyer. I can't stand that!
    I like Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice and Virgina Wolf's Mrs. Dallowy.
    Also, I like Great Gatsby. My language changed a bit after I read those three works... I don't know if you notice any common ground between these three!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Honest View Post
    Do you mean you don't like him because he uses "big" words? I hope they are "big" not archaic. I remembered once I wrote in my paper, the word "amongst" and the professor crossed it out because--as she said--an old word :'(
    Hemingway doesn't use big words. I think they suggested him to you because his prose was written in a simple style.

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    If you want to improve your vocabulary, try Dickens. Maybe start with A Christmas Carol, seeing as that's short so you'll easily be able to re-read it.
    I read a lot of Dickens' but I've never of A Christmas Carol. I will try reading it soon, thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Honest View Post
    HHhmmm, Mark Twain's are full of "slang" words. I read Huckleberry Finn, and long time ago Tom Sawyer. I can't stand that!
    I like Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice and Virgina Wolf's Mrs. Dallowy.
    Also, I like Great Gatsby. My language changed a bit after I read those three works... I don't know if you notice any common ground between these three!

Thanks!
    If you tell me what you liked about Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby, I'll try and recommend you something.

Blog Entries
    I agree with mal4mac - read books in English as if it was your first language. You don't have to read classics; when I started to read in English, classics were too hard for me, so I first read Nick Hornby - he writes in English, but you don't need to kill yourself with the structure of the sentence to understand what he wanted to say. I'm sure that in time you will be able to read more and more difficult stuff. Also, you can try to memorize some parts of the book, and what helps most is writing! If you try to paraphrase what you read and put it on paper, I'm sure that you will master the beauty of the language in no time!
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    If you tell me what you liked about Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby, I'll try and recommend you something.

I noticed many literary words in Great Gatsby. That what I'm looking for: beautiful and strong language-that helps the reader to improve his/her writing. I read many novels, but I could not read Great Gatsby without a dictionary!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by de Renal View Post
    I agree with mal4mac - read books in English as if it was your first language. You don't have to read classics; when I started to read in English, classics were too hard for me, so I first read Nick Hornby - he writes in English, but you don't need to kill yourself with the structure of the sentence to understand what he wanted to say. I'm sure that in time you will be able to read more and more difficult stuff. Also, you can try to memorize some parts of the book, and what helps most is writing! If you try to paraphrase what you read and put it on paper, I'm sure that you will master the beauty of the language in no time!
    Good luck!
    I really like the idea of paraphrasing and imitation. Again, my goal is to improve my sentence structure. Any suggested books to imitate? What the book of Nick Hornby was about?

Hi Honest,

I think Hemingway is a fantastic place to begin. Many of his short stories are as good if not better than his novels, so I would start there.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Read The Elements of Style, a very slim book by Strunk and White. It presents answers to the questions you asked, and may be a logical first step before trying to write from models.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    There is a better way to learn to imitate or emulate the writing of an author. Read Style and Structures by Charles Kay Smith for the method.

AuntShecky and PeterL thank you for these suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast