Thread: Website is giving me some bad ads

Website is giving me some bad ads

lately the website has been acting up - I mean the main website with the texts, not the forums. The ads have been of the more abusive kind, and have redirected my browser on occasion. Just thought I would mention it, as usually they are standard banner ads, but now they are becoming potentially harmful.

Blog Entries
    What is an abusive ad?

Blog Entries
    How can an ad on the Literature Network be abusive to you? How can an ad harm you?
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    lately the website has been acting up - I mean the main website with the texts, not the forums. The ads have been of the more abusive kind, and have redirected my browser on occasion. Just thought I would mention it, as usually they are standard banner ads, but now they are becoming potentially harmful.
    It could be adware on your computer if no one else is having that problem. Have you tried running something like spybot s&d just in case?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy Melson View Post
    How can an ad on the Literature Network be abusive to you? How can an ad harm you?
    My guess is the Flash Actionscript from banner ads and Javascript. Some browsers don't handle it well. Web developers said Explorer is old technology and doesn't display properly, and most of them don't even want to test their stuff on Explorer. But if you have the latest version, it should be ok. They said Explorer 7 is the first Explorer "that doesn't suck".

Otherwise try other browsers...Safari is the fastest browser and web developers LOVE it. Firefox is good too.

"But do you really, seriously, Major Scobie," Dr. Sykes asked, "believe in hell?"
    "Oh, yes, I do."
    "In flames and torment?"
    "Perhaps not quite that. They tell us it may be a permanent sense of loss."
    "That sort of hell wouldn't worry me," Fellowes said.
    "Perhaps you've never lost anything of importance," Scobie said.

screenshots would be beneficial. Or more details of the exact ad/url of the ad.

Too many ad providers on this site for me to troubleshoot it otherwise.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network