Thread: Baudelaire Translations

Banned

Baudelaire Translations

Simple question, I have decided to pick up Baudelaire's Fleur Du Mal, but I am not sure which translation does the poet best justice.

Whom do you think has best translated his works ?

I have a feeling he may be untranslateable, but, I bought this version by Wallace Fowlie which is dual-language. It's a good option, because even if your French isn't past secondary school level (like mine), at least you can appreciate how Baudelaire was trying to form the image, and you can also get a feel for the beauty of the language itself (art pour l'art after all...).

That said, if anyone has any stunning translations they could recommend I'd love to hear them. Baudelaire is next on my 'to do' list after Keats.
    "All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event in the living act, the undoubted deed there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask!"

I've an affinity for Roy Campbell's translations though I'm also one of the few who have an affinity for Campbell's poetry, and not being a French speaker, I cannot attest to the faithfulness of his renderings. On the learned advice of StLukes, I acquired a copy of Richard Howard's translation, which, to my great shame, I have not made sufficient time to properly read. StLukes can speak to its strengths and no doubt will offer some other helpful suggestions.
    'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.' - Groucho Marx

I've got a version by New Directions which features a variety of translators and the French originals...It seems to have been favorably received.

Cool I have a beautiful copy of Baudelaire in two volumes ....

published by the Limited Editions Club in 1971. One volume is in French and the other in English, both volumes are illustrated. The English version has been translated by many hands with the translator given at the end of each poem. The books published by the LEC remain the most beautifully bound, printed, and illustrated which were published by an American publisher in the 20th century. The LECs were generally translated by the best known translators at their time of publication. So whoever did the various translations were subjected to the scrutiny of the LEC publishing team.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would second the New Directions edition edited by Marthiel and Jackson Matthews. The translations are quite strong with the Jacksons selecting the translation they found the best for each poem. The variety also gives the reader some concept of the diversity of elements existent in the originals. My personal favorite for a complete translation of Les Fleurs du Mal would be that of Richard Howard. Howard is both an excellent poet and a Francophile and his translations capture the marvelous atmosphere of decadent sensuality of Baudelaire.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I came to know Baudelaire first in English, in a New Directions collected edition of "The Flowers of Evil" (done back in the early 60's) - bilingual, with French facing English, and with translations by many hands, most of them poets in their own right, among them Richard Wilbur, whose versions are great.

Later translations (I've looked at most) have not seemed to me to equal this one - so I strongly advise getting this edition: you can shuttle from the French to English with the book spread out in front of you. New Directions also did a selected version from this book. You can order a copy online