Thread: History, Anyone?

History, Anyone?

Historical knowledge is critical to human society because without accurate knowledge of the past we know not where we are in the present, nor can we make good decisions on goals for the future.

Historiography itself is a genre of literature which involves both philosophy and artistry.

Do you read history? Do you have any favourite historians or histories?

Do you have a considered world-historical point of view?

I think history is a very important subject. Certain things should really be common knowledge. Reading books about it is a bit hard though, because history can be boring.

I only read very few books about very specific issues I'm interested in. One example would be 'Legacy of Ashes', the history of the CIA.

Then I'm interested in warfare, ancient and modern. But I prefer movie documenations over books..

Oh and I love the interdisciplinary books about history by Jared Diamond. They illustrate what 'being human' means.

Invisible
    I studied history at university, therefore I definitely read a lot of history.

On one side history is very important to understand what is going on in the world on the other side it also helps (me) a lot in literature and philosophy. I think it's easier to understand a book, when you know in which context/time it has been written or when you have the historical information about the events mentioned.
    For example, reading Dante was much easier with the historical background knowledge.

I have no specific historical point of view. In my opinion it is very important to stay objective and also try to understand the people of the current period of time. The occupation with history (and also with philosophy) improves the ability to create a distance to the events and to take up different perspectives.

Best regards

Sorry, my English is extremely bad today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebas. Melmoth View Post
    Do you read history? Do you have any favourite historians or histories?

Do you have a considered world-historical point of view?

Mainstream - or "safe" historians - are always good to read in that they do not offend, defend or attempt to justify/explain the awful behavior of past people or movements. However, for the sake of knowledge and truth, it is healthy to read the works of the controversial historians. One that comes to mind is Howard Zinn. He is less concerned with the number of troops on each side of the Battle of Gettysburg than with how the American people felt about the Civil War and who really benefited from it all.

This is what history needs. A perspective other than that of governments, generals, and politicians. A voice for the voiceless.

Blog Entries
    When I was younger I used to argue against the focus of history. As they years have gone by however I've changed my mind. Sadly I have no history text books saved, but that's ok as I don't fully trust them anyway. I do however have a book on the early feminist movements and Everything You Know Is Wrong that takes a different view on history then say your more conservative texts. It has Howard Zinn, Chomskey and alot of other people in it. But as of now, that's all I have. I have a couple documentaries, Anarchism In America is probably my favorite. I find America's war with the british to be fairly interesting. I find it funny how those "Rebels" are looked upon as heros, and yet today the "Rebels" are looked upon as trouble makers. It has nothing to do with why people are fighting for something, it has to do with what side they are on, and that interests the hell out of me, it's stunning.
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

I particularly enjoy Victorian social history. The most interesting contemporary author that comes to mind is Henry Mayhew. His study into London's poor is a fascinating insight into the extent of poverty and degradation at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by janesmith View Post
    Victorian social history.
    Gertrude Himmelfarb has a slough of good books.

-----------

Zinn's Peoples' History is a classic.

Cool I read Mayhew's book sometime ago....

Very interesting. I think the title was London Crooks and Characters. I like to read history written by someone contemporary to the scene, or at least not too far removed. The Histories of Herodotus of Halicarnasus is a good one to start with. Livy's History of Early Rome is a good read also. I am curreently reading The Discovery and Conquest of Mexico by Bernal Diaz, one of Hernando Cortez's lieutenants. It is easy to read and quite interesting. Next on my list is Thuycidides' The History of the Pelopennisian War.