Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which brother of the Brothers Karamazov is your favorite one and why?

Bibliophile
    Blog Entries

Which brother of the Brothers Karamazov is your favorite one and why?

I'd say Dmitri Karamazov, the wild beast with a soul. Basically, he's a fool, but, in my opinion, a lovable one.
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation. Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Oh I'm reading this right now. I love all three actually. This is such a great novel. The characterization is the absolute best.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Ivan, though the most difficult soul to reach of the three, is the most intellectually provocative. He lacks Alyosha's strength of soul & backbone of faith, but his torment was the most fascinating aspect of the book to me.
    http://unidentifiedappellation.blogspot.com/

Bibliophile
    Blog Entries
    I absolutely adore this quote regarding Dmitri's attitude towards Katerina at their first meeting:

I simply wanted to revenge myself, because I was such a hero and she didn't seem to feel it.
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation. Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by victorianfan View Post
    I absolutely adore this quote regarding Dmitri's attitude towards Katerina at their first meeting:
    I too like Dimitri, a real human being an unmasked being who never lived with an air of arrogance. He is full of flaws, and so are we. Aren't we pretending to be celibate while we have a strong desire.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Cool The fourth brother .....

Smerdyakov. Without him, the novel would have no plot. Also, he was the only actor in the film nominated for an Academy Award.

I have to go with the bastard Smerdyakov as well. He is the catalyst in the novel, playing the Iago archetype and he even reminds me faintly of Hawthorne's Chillingworth in The Scarlet Letter, in the respects that both characters are seemingly nihilistic and perhaps the most depraved I have come across in my flounderings about the Western Canon.
    If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
    -W.Blake

Bibliophile
    Blog Entries
    Hey, dfloyd and Barbarous! Could you honestly say that you like Smerdyakov?!

Dmitri the sensuous is what pulls me and I find him a man of essence despite too many vices engulfed him and he was true to his nature and not of two-facedness. I hate a person of pretense and he was bold and sincere and expressed what he felt inside and he never refrained from telling truth no matter what circumstance he was in, unlike the res of other characters who live by double standards. He suffered immensely morally for the world he was in had different values and when he could not assimilate into that mainstream he became a recluse

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Bibliophile
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
    Dmitri the sensuous is what pulls me and I find him a man of essence despite too many vices engulfed him and he was true to his nature and not of two-facedness. I hate a person of pretense and he was bold and sincere and expressed what he felt inside and he never refrained from telling truth no matter what circumstance he was in, unlike the res of other characters who live by double standards. He suffered immensely morally for the world he was in had different values and when he could not assimilate into that mainstream he became a recluse
    Let's be honest here! Although Dmitri is my favourite Karamazov he's a dissipated individual, whose life is controled by his urges and at last he became a victim of his own nature. He's an honest fool, but still a damn fool.

Sorry, I don't agree that all other characters are double faced. C'mon Alyosha is a pure soul. However, he's an obvious choice to pick out. Who wouldn't like to have Alyosha beside himself/herself?!

As for the other brothers, Ivan is a robot and Smerdyakov is a snake.
    Last edited by victorianfan; 05-20-2010 at 01:49 PM.

For me, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov (55-year-old sponger) and Agrafena Alexandrovna Svetlova (sensual Grushenka) are awesome characters.

Dmitri's stupid, Alyosha's almost too good to be true, Ivan is cold and Smerdyakov deserves his epithet Son of the 'reeking one'. The latter fascinates.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

Blog Entries
    I forgot to answer you before Gladys. yes there is a fourth son.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I haven't read this for a long time, but the ones that stuck in my memory most were Alyosha and Ivan. However, I think my fondness for Ivan is derived entirely from my love of the Grand Inquisitor parable.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    I recently finished TBK. I found myself favoring Alexei "our hero".

Gilliatt
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Dmitri (me in disguise) and Grushenka (my girl in disguise).

Alexei when he kisses the ground and for his strength. Zosima close to his death and for his insight.

The rest are hopeless wretches.

Least favorite?

Easy - Katerina Ivanovna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast