Thread: Les Miserables new household edition signed by Hugo??

Les Miserables new household edition signed by Hugo??

I was wondering if anyone knew about the Le Miserables new household edition books? I came across a few volumes of one, Vol 1 interested me the most as it has Victor Hugos signature on the first page underneath his picture! I wanted to know if it could possibly be a real signature or if that is how they printed that page, it looks real but I am sceptical (and have bad eye sight!). The book doesnt have a date but someone signed it with there name and '94......Any help would be nice! Thanks
    Last edited by luckymama; 05-18-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    whats the year of publication, the publisher and publishing house location?
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

It doesnt have a date....the publisher is joseph knight company out of Boston....its a new household edition....does that help? Thanks so much

Blog Entries
    Did you pay alot of money for it, that might be a clue.

They did go through a phase [the book industry in general, not Joseph Knight] of mass-producing such signatures in first editions in the 1990s, it might be still be going on.
    What are regrets? Just lessons we haven't learned yet - Beth Orton

I think I might have to disappoint you. I have a hit on Google with The New Household Edition of Thackeray's Works by John Knight, Boston in 1900.

As Victor Hugo died in 1885, it is not likely that it is a real signature, which would be a little strange in those days to sign your own picture. People weren't so vain then.

It is probably an edition of the turn of the century, though I can be wrong.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Hello, yes something is not right about the date, I am almost positive this book was published in 1894 so there is no way he could have signed it unless I am wronge about the date....I found other books by that publisher that are similair - they are called holiday editions- and they were all 1893-1894.....pretty books though!