View Poll Results: Of Mice and Men: Final Verdict

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

1 2.63%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

2 5.26%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

6 15.79%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

16 42.11%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

13 34.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Of Mice and Men by John Steinback

Of Mice and Men was so sad

Do you know where he got the title from?

"I could pet it with my thumb while we walked along," said Lennie, talking about a dead mouse is in his pocket.
    A little later Lennie tells George he remembers "...a lady used to give 'em to me-ever' one she got." "I'd pet 'em, and, and pretty soon they bit my fingers and I pinched their head a little and then they was dead-because they was so little."
    Later on Lennie accidentally kills a young women.

From Burns' poem "To a Mouse" Both texts have similar themes.

After the title Mice is possibly the worst supposedly classic book i was forced to persevere through. but then "close" friendships with men of the type implied are of little interest. continue to be amazed by the rave reviews of this dumbed down writing. perspective.
    Last edited by fb0252; 03-07-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fb0252 View Post
    After the title Mice is possibly the worst supposedly classic book i was forced to persevere through. but then "close" friendships with men of the type implied are of little interest. continue to be amazed by the rave reviews of this dumbed down writing. perspective.
    Such inspired and eloquent criticism.

Jeff, in a far away place jlb4tlb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fb0252 View Post
    The above shows more about the reviewer then the book itself.
    "Lennie said, "I thought you was mad at me, George."
    "No," said George. "No Lennie. I ain't mad. I never been mad, an' I ain't now. Thats a thing I want ya to know."

I thought it beautiful.

I have not read this book and yet the comments I have read on this book shuttles me to a different world, to a possibility, to a prospective world. A world wherein humans values are still cherished and love, compassion, understanding, honesty still prevail. Friendship between men today is viewed from a tainted glass. People are not prepared to believe that friendship to this extent exists. Today we are in constant battle with our conflicting interests, time cherished values and human conditions. I want to read this novel and before reading if I try to be judgmental my argument will be inappropriate and ridiculous too.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

The bomb-ridden island of Pianossa, Italy.
    I read this book in one sitting on a four hour bus journey I was once on.
    It wasn't bad or anything but I wouldn't say I was enamored with it either.

Personally, I think it's kinda overrated, no offense to Mr. Steinbeck
    "He planned to live forever or die in the attempt".

I just finished it in one sitting, too. I thought it was really really good, but not the creme de la creme of literature the way Grapes of Wrath, 1984, The Shining, etc are.

Time is the only critic without ambition. ~ John Steimbeck

I hate to bash revered works, so I won't be "bashing" in this review. I could appreciate the novel for what it was, and the symbology and messages throughout the novel were well portrayed. However, I don't particularly enjoy John Steinbeck's works and themes. His prose is somewhat dull to me as well. I have not yet had the opportunity to read Grapes of Wrath, but after "Of Mice and Men" and "The Pearl" I lack the enthusiasm to read more by him.
    Faith... Hope... Love... But the greatest of these is Love.

I love your review, it's very thorough. I found the book interesting but more so towards the end where a tough decision had to be made. The truth was that Lennie was going to die either way but George took on the responsibility of making it not as painful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12