Thread: Favorites from Dickens

Favorites from Dickens

What's your favorite Dickens novel, and who's your favorite character? Your favorite character might come from a different book than your favorite novel. I ask because lately I have taken a sudden interest in his work, and I'm about to choose more novels of his to read. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say before I pick up some more of his books.

So far I'd have to say my favorite novel by him is Great Expectations, and I think my favorite character is Mr. Wemmick :-)

Invisible
    Tough question.
    I haven't read all of his books so far (so many pages....) but maybe my favourite is Bleak House.
    I'm incapable of naming a favourite character.

Best regards

Cool Favorite Dickens' novels are ....

Great Expectations and Bleak House. Least favorite is The Olde Curiosity Shop. Other favorites are David Copperfield, Our Mutual Friend, and A Tale of Two Cities. Many do not like a Tale of Two Cities, but I really like some of the characters: Jerry, by day messenger for Telson's Bank, by night a grave robber; Miss Pross who does in Madame Defarge; and of course the dipsomaniac lawyer, Sidney Carton. I am prejudiced on this novel by the 30s movie: no one has ever played Sidney Carton so well as Ronald Coleman. Some like Pickwick papers the best. While I like this book, it is not really vintage Dickens and, as such, it is different from all the rest.
    Last edited by dfloyd; 05-14-2010 at 02:45 PM.

with the possible exception of the mystery of edwin drood, ive pretty much liked everything of dickens ive read. my favorite is probably a tale of two cities.

i remember being particularly attracted to anges from david copperfield.
    Last edited by bounty; 05-16-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Everything for Dickens is special and great !

I loved Great Expectations, Oliver twist , Tale of two cities. and i read most of his work . if not all !
    aaaa David Copperfield.. and many other novels.. Oh Chirstmas Carol too is so simple and meaningful, having a great message behind..

I loved the character of Scrooge and Pip...
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

Bibliophile
    Blog Entries
    That would definitely be Our Mutual Friend and for the character Eugene Wrayburn from the same novel.
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation. Oscar Wilde

I've read 10 of Dickens's 14.5 novels, focusing mostly on his later works (still haven't read Pickwick, Twist, Curiosity Shop, Rudge, or Drood).

I've loved all that I've read, but without question Our Mutual Friend is my favourite so far. I was blown away by the ending - didn't see it coming at all, and being on a city bus when I reached that point, it was a bit of an embarrassing moment for me, though I didn't mind. And as the character who made that climax possible, I think Noddy Boffin might be my favourite. Eugene Wraburn would be a close second, at least within that novel. I also though the Cheeryble brothers, Charles being the most prominent, from Nicholas Nickelby were truly excellent fellows.
    Last edited by glen922; 05-25-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammatical