Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many hours a day do you read?

My reading hours are a bit weird... I normally say to myself to have a reading duration limit of 30 minutes before going to sleep... but every time I read, this 30 minute time limit seems to expand more and more finally resulting into a sleepless night. An example, instead of sleeping at 9:00... I sleep at 5:00 a.m solely because of me wanting what happens next (no, not to books like the "Bourne Identity" or "Harry Potter" but to books like "The Picture of Dorian Gray" or "1984", weird books to get addicted huh?) because of reading... and that my friends is during school days.
    They say darkness is evil; then why does everyone fight in light?

If I don't have anything else to do 4-5 hours a day. If I do have anything else to do... 1-2 hours.

Not enough.

Literature is one of my great loves, but like another great love in film, I have to be in a particular mood to engage in both and the mood doesn't hit as much as I'd like.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

5+ hours a day, almost all related directly to my field. I also spend a great deal of time online. With the exception of school work, and going out with friends, the bulk of my free time is absorbed in reading.

Not nearly enough. Sometimes I'll read voraciously, and spend every free moment that I can get with a book...But then other times, I'll go weeks, or even months, without touching a book. I've noticed that the less free time I have, the more I read. When I'm on break, and have infinite time on my hands, I tend to put reading off in favor of more leisurely activities. Whereas when I only have a few hours every day, I feel the need to use them more wisely, and get more reading done.

About a half hour. More on wet days and Sunday afternoons.

I read five to six hours a day on weekdays and around eight hours on weekends.

So long as I'm not at work or class, and I've gotten my assignments and creative writing "done", pretty much all the time. I read on the bus and train, on my breaks during work, and while I'm brushing my teeth. I prety much read whenever I can pull my book out. I have other hobbies, but they don't hold a candle to reading. It's one of the few things that directly affects my mood. When I'm reading, I'm on cloud nine, and when I haven't started reading during a set day, or when someone interrupts my reading, I become extremely cranky! I don't see how people find reading stressful at all! It's such a crazy notion!

Banned
    Somehow I have always preferred the idea of reading rather than the act in itself, and consequently I waste much time enjoying the idea rather than the act.

Blog Entries
    I try to do it 30 minutes a day, but sometimes I am too tired. I read more when I am excited about what I am reading.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Twice as much as I should, half as much as I would like to.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I travel westward by airplaine, circumnavigating the globe and reading. That way I am able to read 28 or 29 hours a day, sometimes more. Unfortunately, because I never go outside of airports, I read mainly the women's magazines available at all the shops: Women's Day, Redbook, etc.. I have read so many articles on how to lose weight that I now weigh only 37 pounds.

I read a lot on the internet through bing searches. But as I'm getting older, I have to take breaks to regain my concentration. I am a soccer, basketball and tennis fan and do a lot of reading about that also. I read a lot about politics and help people that make sense to me. Politics to me is the only way things of importance can be accomplished.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    I travel westward by airplaine, circumnavigating the globe and reading. That way I am able to read 28 or 29 hours a day, sometimes more. Unfortunately, because I never go outside of airports, I read mainly the women's magazines available at all the shops: Women's Day, Redbook, etc.. I have read so many articles on how to lose weight that I now weigh only 37 pounds.
    But I bet you also know how to get the best of your wardrobe and be prepared for every occasion even with only 9 essential pieces!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I always manage at least 30 minutes before bed, but beyond that my reading habits are sporadic. When I really get into an author, novel, poem, etc. I can easily spend 8-10 hours a day reading. But I've also gone through slumps where I may go a month without hardly reading anything... probably because I get burnt out.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast