Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many hours a day do you read?

How many hours a day do you read?

Also, it would be interesting to know if you are a student or at school, or if you work. Some people work long hours so they don't have loads of time for reading.

I read about an hour to two hours a day (on average) during the week. There are days when I get home from work and head straight for my book[s] and read until midnight, but that's not the norm...or possible...the dishes don't wash themselves you know!!

Over the weekends I obviously read more, but it depends on my plans. If I stay home I'll read, on average, about 5 to 7 hours a day. More if I really like the book. It might read through the night then.

biting writer
    I can read copiously when I do not want to deal with things, or when I am not practicing my craft, or working on an article. Hugo, for instance, was initially difficult for me to get into, but about a third of the way through Les Miserables, I sat and finished the book in one night--my attendants looked at the book, looked at me, scanned my library, and thought I was crazy but didn't say so.

But digital technology, I think, can negatively impact attention span and comprehension, as I've noticed I'm a bit ADD as I age and pc's and phones and the internet become a new way of life.

I'd say I go about 3 hrs a day unless I'm blowing everything off.

About 3 hours on average, minimum 1, maximum about 7 (but that's when I really enjoy something). I get through a book a week.

I work. So I read about 30 minutes a day, just before bed

Seems like I used to read a bit more when I was teaching, and my schedule was a bit more flexible

I used to read 2 hours a day under the week and 4 on weekend-days, but these days are gone. I don't have much time anymore and I've become pretty distracted because of my labtop..

Now it's about 30 mins under the week and 1 hour on weekends.. Except if I go on vacation! On days where I fly by plane and have to wait on the airports I sometimes read up to 15 hours a day.. And if I have a beach or pool and some nice wheather, it also easily reaches 6 hours..

Banned
    I feel as the lost duck here, but I only manage to read 3-4 hours in a week. I cant even use the excuse of not having the time, as I frequently and aimlessly wander about outside for hours every day. I guess that I prefer to savor books slowly, and I am an utterly slow reader.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I suppose it depends on what it is that you're including. I read a ton in general, but much of it is journals for work and other industry related materials. Time spent reading for pleasure is a bit different. I'm lucky to squeeze out an hour or two in a week to read for personal pleasure. Between work, kids, housecleaning, and all the other bits in life, I just don't have the time. I suppose I could spend less time here, but even my visits here are occurring while waiting on an e-mail or something of that sort.

Literary Superstar Pryderi Agni's Avatar
    On the spires of Paris, with the Red Queen...
    Well, it all depends. Since I'm a student, I have studying to do (obviously enough), but I take time out at late nights and just chill out with a book.

I also sometimes take the book along with me to college, just to help me beat the commute.

I don't usually read on weekends, but if the book's interesting, well, I could finish it in one gulp

It's always different. Probably at minimum 2 hours a day, unless I don't read at all that day because I'm busy (which isn't often). I don't watch TV or anything, so reading is one of my only sources of entertainment, apart from spending time out in nature. The past week I'd been reading so much, 7+ hours a day and my eyes became completely blurry and I got the most terrible headache, I was lying in bed for over an hour tossing and turning and groaning it was so terrible... I had a similar experience when I read The Brothers Karamazov and I read the entire book in two days. I remember I felt like I had a fever when I was finished and forced myself out on a walk on an evil day in winter, walking knee deep in the snow up here in the far north of Sweden... I'd probably still do it again. I would be one of those people who read a book a day or read every waking hour, but I get problems with my eyes and headaches if I read too much...

Blog Entries
    a few years ago I would have said up to 5 hours every day but I am a student and I also work everyday so I feel lucky if I get a half an hour a day. but next week when my exams are over I'm gonna start up again with one night a week when I just read from the time my son falls asleep and 'till I go to sleep, I go through many books when I do this...
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    a few years ago I would have said up to 5 hours every day but I am a student and I also work everyday so I feel lucky if I get a half an hour a day. but next week when my exams are over I'm gonna start up again with one night a week when I just read from the time my son falls asleep and 'till I go to sleep, I go through many books when I do this...
    yeah when I was a student I found it very hard to find time to read. After doing all kinds of required reading for classes, who wants to then pick up a book to read for leisure?

In other words - everyone drop out!! School is just an obstruction to the only important thing in life - literature!!! (maybe I'm joking)

before internet--probably 45 min to hr. most days for books.
    after internet--i am having trouble focusing on reading at all. Every time I get started some video or other internet distraction interrupts. I am thinking with what is now available, to get anything out of it, reading becomes part of a strategy of whatever you want to do with your head or brain--i.e. do you spectate with books, or create? "eye" strain thing a problem these days.

Quote Originally Posted by fb0252 View Post
    before internet--probably 45 min to hr. most days for books.
    after internet--i am having trouble focusing on reading at all. Every time I get started some video or other internet distraction interrupts. I am thinking with what is now available, to get anything out of it, reading becomes part of a strategy of whatever you want to do with your head or brain--i.e. do you spectate with books, or create? "eye" strain thing a problem these days.
    ween yourself off the Twitter and Facebook dude

I'd guess around 4-6 hours, including school reading. I don't really keep count though.

I'm in college and I'm not working a job at the moment.

Cool Being retired from work,

I read from 2 hrs minimum to 4 hours per day. This is strictly reading. I would read more, but my eyes can't take it. Audio books are a godsend. I keep one audio book in the car and one or two at home. I am currently listening to Anna Karenina. I read it when I was in my twenties, now I'm listening to an unabridged edition which has 30 cds. Save your eyes as much as possible. You'll not get another set! I'm currently on cd #22 of Anna Karenina. Next up is A Farewell to Arms. I've read it before, but now I'll just listen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast